Mysterious Ct-scan results.

Fergus2007
Fergus2007 Member Posts: 109
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My brother and I took my father into the cancer centre today to find out the resulta of the ct-scan (after 6 rounds of Xeloda at 50%)

The results are inconclusive.

As the doctor put it: "some things stayed the same, some things got bigger, some things shanged shape."

As for the scope examen my father had a couple of months ago (when he had his hermoroids removed)- the oncologist told us: "The doctor found 'nothing'"

We are not entirely sure what "nothing" is - But we know the oncologist is still seeing a thickening of the colon wall.
We also know the doctor that did the scope did another biopsy to find the "growth" he found to be non cancerous ... .

So now we are worried about whatever there is or isn't going on on the liver and lung.

The oncologist is continuing the Xeloda at a higher dose for 3 rounds ... and another CT can will be done.

I wish there were a better imaging system ... .

Comments

• PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    I've been though this mysterious thickening-of-the-colon-wall thing. That's what the radiologist wrote about my CT scan a year ago -- that I had such a thickening -- so I had an early colonoscopy. I wasn't scheduled for one until two years after. After the colonoscopy, my GI doc told me he hadn't seen anything corresponding to the radiologist's colon-wall thickening. So it was a mystery.
    Hope this helps.
    -Greg
  • Melanie781
    Melanie781 Member Posts: 33
    Has he had a PET scan? If not, request one. If you have insurance, it should be approved. If not, it cost us about $6000 to have it done. It shows all cancerous cells in the body (at least that's what I understand it to do.)
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Hello, how are you doing? Actually a PET scan isn't that accurate. It doesn't show all cancer cells. What it is usually used for is to tell if something that shows up on a CT scan is cancer or not. Unfortunately it only works if the "something" is 1cm in size (or close to it) or larger. A PET scan also lights up any areas where there is inflammation going on, like a sore throat....
    Anyway, I wish there were some better imaging too, but unfortunately there really isn't. CT scans are pretty darn good though. They show really small nodules, like 3-4mm in size!
    Well, take care and good luck with your Dad! I guess you ought to just ask which ones grew and which ones stayed the same, etc.
    -Susan H.
  • Fergus2007
    Fergus2007 Member Posts: 109

Hello, how are you doing? Actually a PET scan isn't that accurate. It doesn't show all cancer cells. What it is usually used for is to tell if something that shows up on a CT scan is cancer or not. Unfortunately it only works if the "something" is 1cm in size (or close to it) or larger. A PET scan also lights up any areas where there is inflammation going on, like a sore throat....
    Anyway, I wish there were some better imaging too, but unfortunately there really isn't. CT scans are pretty darn good though. They show really small nodules, like 3-4mm in size!
    Well, take care and good luck with your Dad! I guess you ought to just ask which ones grew and which ones stayed the same, etc.
    -Susan H.

Hi!

I'm hanging in there!

The oncologist is as vague as he can about information and an expert at dodging questions :)

Sounded like the "shadow on the lung" stayed the same - just "changed shape"

... and the "spots on the liver" got bigger.

We re meeting with the family doctor tomorrow to get his opinion.

We do know that my father was diagnosed with asthma years ago (although he only ever had ONE attach) - I'm wondering if it is something like that that they are looking at on the lung.

... and my father WAS a very "dedicated" drinker so calcifications are not impossible ... .

The oncologists confusion was puzzeling.
    He said the liver enzymes have gone down, the CEA levels have dropped by 50 points, all the blood work is looking great, and he is keeping his weight. He says he can SEE my father is improving ... .

A pet scan would show a recovering liver after no more alcohol since last August ... that of course *would* light up ... :)

All very confusing.
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    I agree, how about having the PET scan. My husbands ct also shows a new spot on liver but ct inconclusive. His PET was thurs. We are waiting for results. PET has shown conclusive in the past for him. Ask about having a PET done. Good luck and God Bless.

Diane