Peritoneal cancer

Larryv2.0
Larryv2.0 Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Michelle was diagnosed with Peritoneal cancer, that originated in her colon in October 07 and was told that there was no hope. She was given 18-36 months to live.

We found out about IPHC and after six months of chemo, she received IPHC and we are now being told that she has a 64% chance that the cancer will not come back..ever!

You can visit Michelle's CaringBridge site at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/michellelanham

IPHC was at Wake Forest NC, Dr. Levine

Comments

• jenhopesprays
    jenhopesprays Member Posts: 128 Member
    Larry, Thank you for sharing the good news with us all. I believe that information makes a huge difference in survival when fighting this disease. It is sad but true that we must realize that some oncs don't know about all the possibly life saving techniques available. I guess it is quite understandable when you consider most docs treat many different kinds of cancer with multiple kinds of chemo regimens.

This is why it is imperative to get second and third opinions from oncs that specialize in colon cancer even if you trust your doc.

Hoping for the best for your precious Michelle!

Jennifer
  • cjf2006
    cjf2006 Member Posts: 83
    What is IPHC?
  • Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    I will keep Michelle in my prayers. I am glad that she is doing much better. Cheers to NED.

Welcome to our group.

Maureen
  • jenhopesprays
    jenhopesprays Member Posts: 128 Member
    cjf2006 said:

What is IPHC?

CJ,

IPHC stands for:

Intraperitoneal Hyperthermic Chemotherapy (IPHC) with Mitomycin C after Cytoreductive Surgery for Patients with Peritoneal Carcinomatosis - a long, technical term for modern medicine in the fight against cancer.

It is a treatement for folks with peritoneal tumors (tiny tumors all around the abdominal cavity). It is often referred to as a "wash" of the cavity to remove the tumors.

Hope this helps,

Jennifer
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    I'm very happy to hear that Michelle's treatment has gone well, and I send best wishes. I visited the CaringBridge site, but didn't wish to devote the time to analyzing the long, long agreement I would have to sign just to add a comment to the guestbook. So this note will have to do.
    -Greg