KEEP MOVING SURVIVORS!!

RunnerZ
RunnerZ Member Posts: 185
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Just read in today's paper an article already mentioned here, describing how regular daily exercise has proven immesely beneficial to cancer survivors. For those of you who are new here, I am an almost 10 year survivor of stage 3 rectal cancer. I had a tough year of presurgical treatment, surgery, then follow-up chemotherapy. My regular running regimen went way down, but I hung on and did something every day, even walking laps of my yard on some of my weakest days. The movement helped me sleep at night and feel like I was doing something good for myself, something apart from my fight with cancer. As I recovered I reveled in my ability to run again and still do almost every day! We can't all run 10 miles or bike 100 or swim 3, but we can all do something, and we can all do quite a bit more than we think! Our bodies are amazing...allow yours to grow into the wonder that it is...even if it means a 10 minute walk after dinner...that can stretch to 15 in another week...and 20 the next. Ride your bike for 20 minutes on the weekend, play 9 holes of golf and walk with a pull cart...allow your body to accomplish things and it will reward you in return. My brother, who is fighting prostate cancer, visited for the weekend and walked every morning for an hour...staying strong for his continued fight. Live strong survivors...we have miles and miles and miles and miles to go before we sleep!!

Comments

• fedester
    fedester Member Posts: 753 Member
    hi john,
    sorry to hear that your brother is dealing with the beast.
    all my best to him. yes runner we have many miles to go before we sleep.
    be well
    never,ever give up!!
    bruce
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    It is truly amazing what we can do! I just want to thank you for posting this and hope that others will heed your advice. I am constantly amazed by what I am capable of and as a 6+ year survivor I have to say I am certain that backpacking and climbing have helped me get to where I am today and will help me to get remain cancer free!
    Just do it,
    Susan H.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I just celebrated 2 years cancer free/ 3.5 years on the colon, 2 on the breast...

I hear so often people say "You look like nothing serious has ever happened to you in your life....and I remember how awful you looked during treatment!"
    Eating right (most of the time), exercising, and a positive look on life ('don't sweat the small stuff...and everything is small stuff'...lol) has REALLY made the difference...

Thanks for the reminder!

Hugs, Kathi
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    OK, I'm getting off the computer now and heading to the gym. Thanks for the cheerleading. It really helps to hear it and I'm glad you are doing so well!
    Jo Ann
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Good reminder,I need to start doing some walking at least.Thanks
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • jenhopesprays
    jenhopesprays Member Posts: 128 Member
    I am moving.....I feel so good today as I returned from the hour and 15 minute hike. It sure makes sleeping better.

I love the inner calm it gives.

Drank my cup of carrot juice and 5 ounces of organic spinach juice.

Keeping company with positive friends I can confide in and enjoying each day!!!

Thanks for the reminder. My Labrador was thrilled.

Jennifer
  • HowardJ
    HowardJ Member Posts: 474
    Exercise helped me to get back into life after surgery. I had a goal to reach...getting back to the level of exercise I was at pre-surgery. It took awhile and now I'm still exercising and hiking regularly!

And I've read the reports on the beneficial effects of exercise on cancer recurrence (lower recurrence rates)....just another incentive!

Howard
  • Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    I joined a gym about 2 years ago. I need to find time to get there more often. Great post.

Maureen
  • rmap59
    rmap59 Member Posts: 266
    Runner,
    Thanks for the reminder. I have exercised most of my life before(not much during)and after cancer. Even if it didnt help stop the beast, which I do believe it does, I would still do it. Exercise helps my mind, body, and spirit. You are an inspiration to all of us.
    Robin
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    I totally agree -- and thanks for this post. I had surgery 2 weeks ago for a lung met (3rd lung surgery and 4th surgery total -- but who"s counting. I started walking while I was in hospital and I have walked every day since I got home. OK, part of it is for the physical benefits but also it really helps me psychologically. We are not in control of everything (!!) but there are a few things we can control/take responsibility for. Thanks for this stimulating post and for your continuing involvement in this 'family'. Tara