5 years cancer free and still tired

hounddog
hounddog Member Posts: 115
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello this is Marilyn and I'm 5 yrs cancer free and I still stay real tired does any one experience this if so what is a good vitamin to take and do any of you seem like you are going to break down because you are tired all the time . I take womens one aday vitamin but still stay tired all the time . I went through the hardest chemo treatments I lost all my hair and it zapped all my energy.
Marilyn

Comments

• kbc4869
    kbc4869 Member Posts: 159
    Hi Marilyn,

I am 4.5 years out and am currently going through the same thing -- have your doctor check your thyroid. Found that mine is underactive. Have been on meds now for a little over two weeks and am finally feeling some subtle improvements; apparently, it takes a while to get the doseage right.

Yes, I know how you feel. It's hard and you think, Enough Already! Keep getting blood work done! It is my understanding that we shouldn't still be this tired.

Lots of Love,

Kim
  • kbc4869
    Hi Marilyn,

I am 4.5 years out and am currently going through the same thing -- have your doctor check your thyroid. Found that mine is underactive. Have been on meds now for a little over two weeks and am finally feeling some subtle improvements; apparently, it takes a while to get the doseage right.

Yes, I know how you feel. It's hard and you think, Enough Already! Keep getting blood work done! It is my understanding that we shouldn't still be this tired.

Lots of Love,

Kim
  • 'Fatigue' is one of the most common words discussed on these boards. Without knowing your age or details of your battle and treatments, I can only say that from my own experience and from what I read here, most of us find a 'new normal' (another of our favorite phrases) after treatment.
    We learn to adjust our lives and our expectations of ourselves and, surprisingly enough, often find that we become more able to slow down and 'smell the flowers'. This may be one of the more positive side effects of having cancer.
    But that is not to say that vitamins and other measures to take the best possible care of ourselves have no value. Do all you can to be the best you can be....and ENJOY your life, even if it contains some limitations you did not sign up for.
    Hugs and God bless.
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Lots of things can cause fatigue. Bad eyes, pain, vitamin deficiency, thyroid problems, cancer, lack of exercise, weight problems, not eating, eating the wrong stuff, a virus, an infection, heart problems, lack of oxygen--the list just goes on and on. A good doctor can run some blood tests to start and start eliminating things until she find what's wrong. Good luck!
  • kbc4869 said:

Hi Marilyn,

Lots of Love,

Kim

Kim (whale rider!), glad to hear things are getting better for you. Hope this is the beginning of something wonderful. love, Joyce
  • kbc4869
    unknown said:

Kim (whale rider!), glad to hear things are getting better for you. Hope this is the beginning of something wonderful. love, Joyce

Thanks, Joyce.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Marilyn, have your primary care dr run a full blood work up including your thyroid. Have him run the full thyroid break down. I experienced fatigue and muscle aches and was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism(graves disease) which because my body was working at twice the speed and I was not sleeping well. Or it may be your anemic. Explain all your symptoms to him and he will be able to determine the best course of treatment. Hugs, Lili