1st chemo behind me

pamysue
pamysue Member Posts: 105
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Thank you all for your encouragement before chemo. The treatment was not bad. Had a great nurse who was very informative. He even called the next morning to check up on me.

I really felt fine until Saturday after they came and unhooked the 5FU machine. I had already had the reaction to the cold and then my stomach became very tight feeling. I had no appetite and was SO tired. I slept most of Sat, Sun and Monday. Tried to make myself eat as much as possible and drink, but still lost 6 pounds in 3 days. Starting to feel better yesterday and feel much better today.

I'm still having a bit of a reaction to the cold, but only in my throat and only if it's really cold. One down and 11 to go. My nurse did say that this was a very aggressive treatment and he might want to cut the dose back a bit at the next treatment. I guess we will see next week.

Oh yea, I also had a lot of trouble focusing my vision when looking from one thing to another. Nurse said this was from the steriods given with the chemo. It has finally gone away, but I was glad I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    YEAH!!!!!!! You're on your way to healthy! I guess my question is "Are you sure the ONLY reason the MALE nurse called you the next day was to see how you're doing?!??!?!" LOL!!

I'm so glad you've got one treatment behind you....(no pun intended!)

Good luck for future smooth sailing!

Stacy
  • winediva
    winediva Member Posts: 26
    YOU ROCK PAMY SUE! I also have one down and 11 to go! Don't shy away from those anti nausea drugs. I've got three different ones and they really really help. Also, since my appetite comes and goes, I have a bunch of fruit and granola bars on hand to eat super quick, when the fleeting moments of hunger strike me. (I also had some cupcakes from a friend, but those managed to disappear even when I wasn't really "hungry".) Stay in touch!
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Good for you, one down and 11 to go, believe me time will pass so fast and treatment #12 will be behind you.
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Good for you, one down and 11 to go, believe me time will pass so fast and treatment #12 will be behind you.
  • pamysue

YEAH!!!!!!! You're on your way to healthy! I guess my question is "Are you sure the ONLY reason the MALE nurse called you the next day was to see how you're doing?!??!?!" LOL!!

I'm so glad you've got one treatment behind you....(no pun intended!)

Good luck for future smooth sailing!

Stacy

That or he is into old ladies! LOL He's probably my son's age.

And you know what? I NEVER realized how many times I say "behind" and "Pain in the butt" and so many other things until rectal cancer. Now we all laugh about it. :-)
  • pamysue
    winediva said:

YOU ROCK PAMY SUE! I also have one down and 11 to go! Don't shy away from those anti nausea drugs. I've got three different ones and they really really help. Also, since my appetite comes and goes, I have a bunch of fruit and granola bars on hand to eat super quick, when the fleeting moments of hunger strike me. (I also had some cupcakes from a friend, but those managed to disappear even when I wasn't really "hungry".) Stay in touch!

I took all my drugs on time, don't want to get sicker! And I'm using the salt/baking soda rinse 4 times a day. I do not want to get mouth sores if I can avoid it!

I laughed at your message. Saturday was my bday and my bf had made me choc chip cookies. They were the only thing that tasted right for those three days! So we can be chemo-buds and sweet tooths! :) I also made sure to get down a banana a day and white grapes tasted good too. I'm glad you will be around here to go thru this with.
  • jenhopesprays
    jenhopesprays Member Posts: 128 Member
    What a coinky dink. I am 11 down 1 to go. I think I can... I think I can..... guess what? I can and so can you!!!!

Best of luck chemosabe!

Jennifer

PS Biotene toothpaste is helpful and mild and beats out my kids children toothpaste. :)
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Well my name is Pam too, I had about the same reactions you had. The cold in the throat was usually gone by day 5 or 6 - my favorite foods during chemo - cake, ice cream (on non cold days) choc. chip cookies, applesauce, bananas and for some odd reason cheese - and bread - a nutritionist's nightmare. I lost 40 some odd pounds have refound 20 of them and the rest can stay gone. You are smart - take the anti nausea meds - it took me 3 rounds to figure that out - not too bright on my part. I tried to eat and forced as much liquid a I could. Sounds like you will do GREAT!!!! I am currently done - 9 mos. ned. and I need to give up those cookies and that cake. I had real problems with nausea and was on amend, zolfran, compazine, attivan and the steroids ((for 3 days). Must say, the steroid high - decadron - was kind of fun, although the fourth day crash wasn't fun, but it got me through the last rounds - I had my oxaliplatin reduced routinely - but I feel great now and wish you all the best.

Pam
  • Madre
    Madre Member Posts: 123
    I just got #3 yesterday. They had to reduce my original mix by 20% cuz of side effects. Today seems ok. Have most my energy in the morning so I am trying to make the most of it. My first round was scarry. I didn't know what to expect or how to feel, what was normal what wasn't. I had severe abdominal pain for 4 days, landed me in the ER to say....just a side effect. I too couldn't focus my eyes, but that went away. The cold thing is more noticible with more treatments I have, I have this muscle thing going too where my hand (thumb especially) cramp up and I can't straighten them out. I had 4 really good days last week and I lived it up. Made up for the crappy days. I tend to sleep away saturday and sunday, but hey, your job right now is your body and you have to listen to it. Give up a few days here and there now for a longer life time of "Remember when..." The people on this site are great. If they can get through it we can get through it, and they will find your right mix. They are with me. Take care, praying for you.