not again!

taraHK
taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi. I am an 'old-timer' who hasn't posted here for a while -- although I do check in from time to time. Brief history: diagnosed December 2002 with Stage III rectal cancer. Treated in 2003 with chemoradiation, surgery, chemo. In 2005, I had a recurrence in my lung (single nodule). Treated with surgery plus chemo. Then in 2007, same thing: single lung met, treated with surgery then chemo. I finished that chemo almost 1 year ago (surgery was 18 mos ago).

The good news is that I have survived more than 5 years since my initial diagnosis. Yea. My eldest child was 12 years old when I was diagnosed -- he graduated from high school this spring and I WAS THERE for the ceremony. Yea. And, I just turned 50 and had a huge party. Yea.

The bad news: just had a scan two days ago -- and I have another lung met. Bummer. I am of course trying to be positive. I am scheduled to have a meeting with my wonderful doc on Friday but over the phone he told me he thinks it is "amenable to surgery".

I would love to hear words of support at this time. I would especially love to hear from anyone who has had multiple lung surgeries (how many times can they hack away at me?!?). And als would to hear words about "chronic disease model" -- hey, every two years or so, I have some more treatment. I can do that, right?

I just can't believe I have to tell my kids again, and my work colleagues, and my family (parents, sister). And cancel the summer vacation plans. Again. Deja vu all over again.

Thanks in advance and love to all,
Tara

Comments

• Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    Tara,

My heart goes out to you. I am sending hugs, prayers and positive vibes. I don't have any words of advice. I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were doing. My heart goes out to you, but you are such a strong person I know that you will get back into the ring ang handle this latest news. Good luck and keep us posted.

Maureen
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    It has been awhile hearing from you and I am sorry it is for the reason. This may be a stupid question to ask, but has your surgeon or Oncology Doc given any indication why it keeps recurring?

Did you have your tumor genetically tested?

I will say a prayer for you...................Amen
  • Hanac
    Hanac Member Posts: 55
    Hi,

There is a process that we were considering when I had lung surgery last year. There is a lab called Rational Therapeutics that does chemo sensitivity testing on your tumor. They can then fashion a chemo cocktail that works on your particular cancer, The thing is, you have to contact them in advance of your surgery and get the collection kit. You have to make sure both your Onc and surgeon are on board. I carried the collection kit in with me into the operating room so that they wouldn't screw up and put the tumor in Formalin (sp?). They have to put it in the collection kit that has a special solution in it. (All the nurses kept trying to take the collection kit away from me, but I insisted on carrying it in.)

We were all set to do it, but the two nodules they removed turned out to be sarcoids. Check them out: www.rationaltherapeutics.com.

Best to you. Prayers and good thoughts being sent your way.

Hana
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Hanac said:

Hi,

There is a process that we were considering when I had lung surgery last year. There is a lab called Rational Therapeutics that does chemo sensitivity testing on your tumor. They can then fashion a chemo cocktail that works on your particular cancer, The thing is, you have to contact them in advance of your surgery and get the collection kit. You have to make sure both your Onc and surgeon are on board. I carried the collection kit in with me into the operating room so that they wouldn't screw up and put the tumor in Formalin (sp?). They have to put it in the collection kit that has a special solution in it. (All the nurses kept trying to take the collection kit away from me, but I insisted on carrying it in.)

We were all set to do it, but the two nodules they removed turned out to be sarcoids. Check them out: www.rationaltherapeutics.com.

Best to you. Prayers and good thoughts being sent your way.

Hana

Cool, Hana! I'll have to check them out and add to my arsonel!

Thanks, Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Aw, Tara....I was all set to say 'welcome back'...then saw your news!!!

Sending big hugs to you, dearheart...please keep us posted!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • crazylady
    crazylady Member Posts: 543 Member
    Hi Tara,
    I'm so sorry to hear your news! I know exactly how you feel. I had surgery on my right lung in September 2006 and on my left lung in July 2007, just 10 months apart. Scans in October 2007 showed 1 met in my left lung. Because it was only 3 months after my last surgery it was decided that I would do chemo. My scans this month showed that I am clear so I will be starting maitenance chemo for the first time.

I know how hard it is to deal with and to have to tell your children and family members, but you are right about still being here.

Don't be too quick to cancel your vacation plans. I was able to go on an Alaskan cruise last summer 5 weeks after surgery. I took my 2 youngest daughters and went with a group of friends that I have known since high school to celebrate our 50th birthdays. We had a great time and I was so glad that I didn't cancel it!

I questioned my doctor about how many lung surgeries I could have. I was told several, they just can't be too close together.

I know it's difficult to face another surgery or any kind of treatment, but try to focus on the positive.

Take care,
    Jamie
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    Hi Tara, sorry to hear the news. It's especially hard since you have been down that road before.
    But you have shown yourself to be a determined fighter and will get through this too. Our prayers are for you to get through it as smoothly as possible and keep "carrying on".

• taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Thanks for these warm words. Great to hear from some old friends -- and new. I appreciate the suggestions (genetic testing and chemo sensitiviy testing) -- and the shared experience (Jamie -- thanks -- that is very useful. I seem to be having18 mos between appearances!). But especially thanks for reminding me that I am a fighter and can get back in that ring again -- whatever is required....I shall find out more information on Friday and start formulating a plan....
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Ahoya, Tara... #$%^... I am so sorry to hear this. I know, however, that you will use your experiences from the past and parlay them into a winning strategy. Know you're a cancer hero and in our thoughts and prayers daily.

- SpongeBob
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    I am fairly new, diganosed January 2007, stage IIIA, surgery, chemo, radiation, awaiting the results of my six month scan. Was moved by your story, all my best wishes and prayers. I can tell you will keep on fighting. It was nice to see that your post got some others to post who I hadn't seen before. I hope you do spectacularly.

Pam
  • jenalynet
    jenalynet Member Posts: 361 Member
    Tara,
    You are an inspiration to me, I admire your courage. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I go on the 27th to see a surgeon about removing a nodule from my left lung..I am fighting with you as are many others..hugs, Audrey.
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    I'm sorry! That is news that nobody wants to hear. You have been through this before, you will get through it again only with more knowledge. With your experience you will get through this again. I hope you don't really have to cancel those vacation plans. You may need that more than ever now. Keep the faith, stay positive , and move forward. You can do it!!

Faith
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 555 Member
    So sorry. Stage 4 from 2006 so not an old timer but I've read all your posts as I had a lung met removed in 11/07 after liver met in 06. I do not have any words of inspiration or great advise just a sincere get well, and thank you to all who have helped me. Realize your fight inspires others and eventually we are the heros who will beat this for our kids (mine are just going into high school where I am a teacher). All my best
    Impactzone
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Oh, Tara! I am so sorry you have to deal with this once again. However, you have armed yourself in the past with the necessary spirit and resolve to fight and you will again. Please keep us posted on your treatment decisions and know that you have many prayers and well wishes coming your way.

Hugs,

Kay
  • Madre
    Madre Member Posts: 123
    So sorry you have to go through this. My neighbor had lung cancer. 2 different kinds in each lung. The operated on one, then a month later operated on the other. He had a rough time, but it was less than a year ago and he is out fishing in his boat, walking everyday. He gets winded, and needs to rest through out the day. He is in his late 60's,other cancers in his younger years - guy stuff. I pray for you that this journey will be short and you can plan a fall vacation to replace your cancelled vacation.
  • zhguo48
    zhguo48 Member Posts: 23
    Recurrence is the #1 thing we all hope not going to happen. But we have no control over it. What we can control is our attitude . Life is too precious to give up. Hanging in there.
    I am recovering from my third surgery ( second recurrence) and taking Xeloda. Honestly, I am scarred that the cancer is going to coming back again.
    faungg
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Shoot Tara (read the word I really wanted to use),

I love hearing from you but not under these circumstances!!

The beast has no idea who he is messing with. You will kick it's **** again but this time it will not come back.

Remember I am in non-surgical remission (no surgery on 1 lung met and 2 liver mets for almost 3 1/2 years now). You can do this!!!!

I'll do the usual finger over my yellow Livestrong bracelet thinking about you that I have done over the last few years.

Hugs and please keep us posted.

Lisa P.
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Tara, your news stinks; I'm sorry to hear that you are on this roller coaster again. You have had such an amazing attitude, I know that you will get in gear over this. Sounds like you have a great doc to help devise the strategy to knock this one down.
    Many thoughts and prayers are coming your way; stay strong and keep us posted.
    Judy, another old timer