Metastatic prostate cancer

R13swife
R13swife Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Hello everyone,

I'm very new to this board so I don't know any one or know much about this disease, so any help at all would be appreciated.

Yesterday, my dad, age 57, found out he has prostate cancer and it has already metastasized into his left hip joint and pelvis. It was a shock to all of us as we expected to hear he had arthritis in his hip, not cancer (we didn't even think about cancer). It dropped a huge bomb on us. We don't know if there is any more cancer yet as he just went through one MRI, but I'm sure tons of test are about to come his way.

What I am looking for is any information people can share with me about this such as experiences, what we as a family will be going through, and how I can make sure my dad is getting the best treatments and all. So please any help would be great as my mind is spinning so fast thinking about the worst.

Thanks
Connie

Comments

• stan53
    stan53 Member Posts: 5
    Hi. I'm 53, was diagnosed with P.C. in Feb. I had my prostate removed in March. Home now for recovery, doing fair.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.I'm not sure I can tell you much.
    Life as you all have known it will never be the same. He is very lucky to have family that cares and will be there to support him.
    If you think your mind is spinning imagine how he feels.I know the day I was diagnosed my mind went a dozen different directions. I'm a Dad to and Dads try to act strong for there families but trust me right now he is just as scared and confused as you are.
    This is the beginning of a long journey for all of ya'll and I wish you all the very best.
    The only advise I can give you that I know is right is if you have not already done so contact your pastor and your church family. I know that without there prayers and support this long journey will be a lot longer.
    You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Wishing you all the best
    Stan53
  • stan53
    stan53 Member Posts: 5
    Hi. I'm 53, was diagnosed with P.C. in Feb. I had my prostate removed in March. Home now for recovery, doing fair.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.I'm not sure I can tell you much.
    Life as you all have known it will never be the same. He is very lucky to have family that cares and will be there to support him.
    If you think your mind is spinning imagine how he feels.I know the day I was diagnosed my mind went a dozen different directions. I'm a Dad to and Dads try to act strong for there families but trust me right now he is just as scared and confused as you are.
    This is the beginning of a long journey for all of ya'll and I wish you all the very best.
    The only advise I can give you that I know is right is if you have not already done so contact your pastor and your church family. I know that without there prayers and support this long journey will be a lot longer.
    You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Wishing you all the best
    Stan53
  • nodawgs
    nodawgs Member Posts: 116
    Your statement that he has prostate cancer sounded rather definite, so I'll presume his diagnosis was based on (1) a DRE (digital rectal examination), (2) a biopsy of the prostate, and (3) a full-body bone scan. The biopsy should have determined whether it's in one or both lobes of the prostate and assign a Gleason Score, a measure of aggressiveness of the cancerous cell structure. It will be expressed as the sum of 2 numbers for each lobe of the prostate. Anything under a Gleason 7 is a very good thing, though score assignment is a very subjective process.

Having been there, done all this, my suggestion is to locate a good clinic for treatment. Type "best hospitals" in your browser window, then select "cancer" as the category. From there, you can select one that's the closest to your home. All cancer clinics are top notch and will be NCI designated clinics. I just happen to go to the nation's top clinic in Houston, Texas.

If the disease has already metastasized, removing the prostate may be of no benefit. However, this is for a seasoned Genitourinary oncologist to say. Offhand, as it's metastasized, I suspect he'd be placed on a therapy known as total androgen ablation. I was diagnosed in the earliest part of 2001 and have been through about all treatments available.

Best to you and your dad

nodawgs
  • rogermoore
    rogermoore Member Posts: 264 Member
    Hi Connie,

I'm so sorry to hear of your Father's unexpected diagnosis. Know that all of our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family during these difficult times.

The comments you have already received have all been excellent. The one thing I would like to add is get a second opinion from a reputable surgeon or oncologist. Then, determine the one Doctor you (and your Father) feel the most comfortable and confident in and put your Father's health in his hands.

As one of the responders said, be sure to research the best hospitals to take your Father to.

Be assured, this is not the end. There are a lot of treatment options available and the results vary for each.

Again, Best wishes and keep us posted with your questions and concerns.

Roger
  • desesperada
    desesperada Member Posts: 2
    My husband was diagnosed in early 2005 with metastasized prostate cancer. He has been off and on hormone treatment since then. It has alot of side effects but he is still here and doing well. The cancer never goes away but it is kept kind of dormant. Keep up the immune system to the max.That seems to help and cut back on stress.Cut back on suger.There is a great book BEATING CANCER WITH NUTRITION. Read all you can about the illness so you know all the options.Give him lots of love and care!
    Desparada
  • 2ndBase
    2ndBase Member Posts: 220
    I have met prostate cancer and have been fighting it for 5 years which is twice as long as I was given to live at the time of dx. So life goes on and with a lot of clarity. Think about the good things you have and avoid stress altogether as stress will kill quickly when fighting cancer. I had one shot of Lupron and 40 rad treatments and though my psa is still rising and I need more treatment I am waiting to decide if I want to put myself through more treatment. I still can work some and play golf for free as I work at a golf course part time. Even though I lost my job and insurance and had to file bankruptcy I do not let life get me down and when Barack Obama becomes our next President my life will be complete. He is the one!!
  • dukeskid
    dukeskid Member Posts: 24
    2ndBase said:

I have met prostate cancer and have been fighting it for 5 years which is twice as long as I was given to live at the time of dx. So life goes on and with a lot of clarity. Think about the good things you have and avoid stress altogether as stress will kill quickly when fighting cancer. I had one shot of Lupron and 40 rad treatments and though my psa is still rising and I need more treatment I am waiting to decide if I want to put myself through more treatment. I still can work some and play golf for free as I work at a golf course part time. Even though I lost my job and insurance and had to file bankruptcy I do not let life get me down and when Barack Obama becomes our next President my life will be complete. He is the one!!

A long time ago, I was in your shoes. My dad was diagnosed at 59. You are just beginning, and there are many, many options. I echo the comments about finding the best within your region. I live in Minneapolis, and the Mayo Clinic is an hour and half away. In the beginning, it was worth the drive.

The best thing to do is to educate yourself and your family about the cancer. This cancer is slow growing, but it has a nasty bite. Learning to live with cancer and a cancer patient is not something you learn quickly, so pace yourself. Read, read, read. There are many excellent books on this cancer.

In the beginning, I too wanted someone to tell me what was going to happen when and how our family would deal with it. Unfortunately - or maybe fortunately - it is an unanwerable question. Everyone's experience is different.

The only thing I can tell you is that I wish I knew more early on and I wish I had started cooking more meals for my dad when he was really ill. Learning what foods your dad will like when he feels lousy will be very important. Your dad will need his strength, and that comes from food. I cooked lots, and when my dad said he couldn't eat something, I went into the kitchen and made his something else. Calories count, and the more the better.

AND - and have a good attitude. You probaby cannot joke about his situation right now, but someday - humor will become necessary and your dad will need to laugh the most.

Hope this isn't too preachy. Good luck - and keep your chin up.

Duke's kid.
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    please take a look at this:

http://www.tinyurl.com/3dqbxg

thanks!