It's not about me.

jams67
jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My husband Don, is now undergoing tests for neuroendocrine carcinoma in the mesentery. Anyone know anything about that? We were told yesterday by the gastro doc that we should see an oncologist and they would direct the rest of the tests. After fighting stage iv colon cancer with me and being a wonderful caregiver, I now have to be at the helm. Don said both of us are not allowed to be sick at the same time. So "it's not about me anymore". I sympathize with all the care givers out there. YOur job is not an easy one. More tests will have to be done before we know what the beast looks like for sure. Any ideas are appreciated. Not sure which forum we are in at this point, and you guys are my friends so I'll unload on you. Thanks for being here. Don says he is playing golf today and taking advantage of all of the good days he can so his attitude is in the right place.
Jo Ann

Comments

• Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Oh, Jo Ann! I am so sorry! I haven't longed on here in so long, but I felt the need this morning.... and to find this first post of yours is devastating! Please know that Don will be supported by the semi-colons and so will you! My heart is heavy with this news and my prayers and support are with you both.

Love,

Kay
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    Jo Ann: I am so sorry to hear you have yet another challenge to confront, but after the way you have confronted your own cancer, I have no doubt you and Don will do the same with his. Just be realistic about how much you can do and please ask for help when you need it. You both will need your strength to fight this beast.

Faith and Patience
    Monica
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Oh, Jo Ann....I am sending big hugs to you both!
    I know nothing about this, but know that you can share with me anytime during your role as a caregiver (I was that, too...with my mom, twice).
    Don has the right attitude...you know what could possibly lie ahead...

Hugs to you both!
    Kathi
  • Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    I don't know anything about that kind of cancer, but i will keep you both in my prayers.

I can truly empathize with you. On St. Patrick's day it was 5 years since my diagnosis and my sister was diagnosed with cutaneous T cell lymphoma. I don't know anything about that either. We are going to dana farber next week to learn what we are up against.

Maureen
  • jams67
    Moesimo said:

I don't know anything about that kind of cancer, but i will keep you both in my prayers.

I can truly empathize with you. On St. Patrick's day it was 5 years since my diagnosis and my sister was diagnosed with cutaneous T cell lymphoma. I don't know anything about that either. We are going to dana farber next week to learn what we are up against.

Maureen

You definitly understand. Guess we will just do what my oncologist tells us. She is very good at what she does and we trust her judgement. Talk about a blind study. We are so uneducated about this at the moment! I'm sure we will learn all about it soon though.
    Everyone lurking on this site, if you believe in prayer, please stop a moment, and say a prayer for us. Thank you so much for your support. I will do the same for each of you.
    Jo Ann
  • rmap59
    rmap59 Member Posts: 266
    jams67 said:

You definitly understand. Guess we will just do what my oncologist tells us. She is very good at what she does and we trust her judgement. Talk about a blind study. We are so uneducated about this at the moment! I'm sure we will learn all about it soon though.
    Everyone lurking on this site, if you believe in prayer, please stop a moment, and say a prayer for us. Thank you so much for your support. I will do the same for each of you.
    Jo Ann

Jo Ann,
    That is one thing I can do is pray. I dont know anything about this kind of cancer but I know who does and that is our savior Jesus Christ. He will be with you every step of the way. I too have been on both ends as the one with the cancer and caregiver of my Mom with cancer. Both are very difficult but by his grace we can make it. Sending prayers to you and your husband.
    Robin
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    I'm saying a prayer for both of you as you begin this new journey. I am so sorry that you have to go through this again. You know what it takes though-----determination and positive thinking! My thoughts are with you!

Faith
  • sladich
    sladich Member Posts: 429 Member
    Geez, Jo Ann. I am so very sorry. I wish we lived closer so I could give you a hug. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Don. Keep me posted.

Debbie
  • Limey
    Limey Member Posts: 446 Member
    Jo Ann, both you and Don are strong minded people that seem to have allot of Love for each other. What is nice about this CSN family is that you don't have to go this alone. Please know many of us are here supporting you both. Don has been a great caregiver and I am sure you will return the favor. I am praying that it will not be necessary for Don to need a caregiver and that all will be fine.
    you both are in my prayers and thoughts.
    Lots of love and positive vibes your way
    Mark.
  • LOUSWIFT
    LOUSWIFT Member Posts: 371 Member
    okay Jo ann
    I know a little about it from my daughters tumor and what the onc thought it might be but hers is located on her pituitary gland and it sounds like from your post that Don's in location somewhere in the abdomen. You said mesentary which is like the connective tissue that holds vessels and lymph nodes and helps attach the colon to the abdominal wall. Neuroendocrine carcinoma is very rare but treatments are out there. I was told neuroendoctine carinoma is very agressive and although I'm not sure has a relationship to the pancrease or other endocrine organs like the ptiuitary. This is about all I recall from those meetings with my daughters onc. Sorry I don't know more and am only somewhat certain of what I recalled to post here. It was before my colon cancer so it's been a while. I wish there was more I could do to help. I see a lot of the semi colon veterans have posted support for you and Don. You are certainly in good company- be strong we are all here for you.
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Jo Ann, you and Don are being prayed for by a lot of people. You are going on the prayer list at church. Meanwhile, you know the folks here and you will have all the support you need. Hugs.
  • jams67
    kmygil said:

Jo Ann, you and Don are being prayed for by a lot of people. You are going on the prayer list at church. Meanwhile, you know the folks here and you will have all the support you need. Hugs.

Thank you all for your help. What would I do without your support? I'll explain more about this Lou, when they tell us exactly what is going on. I personally think he swallowed a spider. lol
    Jo Ann