Topotecan

Options
JanQ
JanQ Member Posts: 236
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Well I may have ask this question before, but...The Gemzar didn't work and my numbers went up 30 more points this month so my doctor wants me to start Topotecan. I really want a break. I have been on chemo for almost 2 yrs with about a 2 month break Jan. and Feb. of 2007. I have heard different things about Topotecan. Has anyone got any advice?
Thanks and God Bless! Have a Wonder Easter. He is Risen!

Comments

• saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Haven't had it yet, but you have a Wonderful Easter, too. He is Risen! Saundra
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Options
    Jan Q,
    I'm cureently on Topotecan . gemzar didn't work for me either,I had to stop and take a 3 months break because the gemzar just beat me up awful on my 5th treatment. Today if all goes right..I'll be starting my 4th cycle of Topotecan. I have found it to be an easy chemo. I have had some nausea,but I have meds for that. I have all my hair,so far my blood counts are good. I have 1 tx a week for 3 weeks, then off the 4th week. Doing it this way I actually get more chemo,and the side effects are minimal. I get some headaches also,but not anything tylenol wont help. My ca-125 dropped 25 points after the first cycle,then 3 points the second cycle. I will today get the newest ca-125 results. I have some fatique,but I consider it normal considering I'm on chemo....Good luck,I hope it works for you and that your side effects if any are minimal. (((hugz)))>>Joanne
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Jan:
    I have no experience in this area. But I wanted to tell you that my heart goes out to you, having to endure this for so long with virtually no break. But Joann's words are encouraging! I will pray that you will have the same or better results and smash this thing once and for all.

You have a wonderful Easter, too! By His stripes you are healed, and I thank Him everyday that He is the Great Physician and Lord!

Luv ya (((HUGS)))
    Monika
  • JanQ
    JanQ Member Posts: 236
    Options
    floridajo said:

Jan Q,
    I'm cureently on Topotecan . gemzar didn't work for me either,I had to stop and take a 3 months break because the gemzar just beat me up awful on my 5th treatment. Today if all goes right..I'll be starting my 4th cycle of Topotecan. I have found it to be an easy chemo. I have had some nausea,but I have meds for that. I have all my hair,so far my blood counts are good. I have 1 tx a week for 3 weeks, then off the 4th week. Doing it this way I actually get more chemo,and the side effects are minimal. I get some headaches also,but not anything tylenol wont help. My ca-125 dropped 25 points after the first cycle,then 3 points the second cycle. I will today get the newest ca-125 results. I have some fatique,but I consider it normal considering I'm on chemo....Good luck,I hope it works for you and that your side effects if any are minimal. (((hugz)))>>Joanne

Thank you all so much for your encouragement. Joanne, I feel so much better now, I was really worried about taking this chemo, I had heard different things. Thank you so much and I pray your ca-125 continues to drop. Do you mind me asking what it is now? The thing I really don't care for is the fact that I will be doing this everyday for 5 days 2 wks off and then 5 days again, I think I will ask my doctor about that. You are doing the Topotecan the way I did Gemzar, but I was never able to get the 3rd cycle in.
    I pray you get get news from the doctor today.

Love you all. Have a blessed Easter! Jan
  • floridajo
    floridajo Member Posts: 480
    Options
    JanQ said:

Thank you all so much for your encouragement. Joanne, I feel so much better now, I was really worried about taking this chemo, I had heard different things. Thank you so much and I pray your ca-125 continues to drop. Do you mind me asking what it is now? The thing I really don't care for is the fact that I will be doing this everyday for 5 days 2 wks off and then 5 days again, I think I will ask my doctor about that. You are doing the Topotecan the way I did Gemzar, but I was never able to get the 3rd cycle in.
    I pray you get get news from the doctor today.

Love you all. Have a blessed Easter! Jan

Jan,
    My original ca# was 54.6 when I started the Topotecan, from there it went to 20,17 and now 14.9!! I have heard different things about the schedule for Topo. I e-mail with a gal that has it being done the way your Onc is suggesting and she has no problems. I also e-mail with another lady who said the straight 5 days like to kill her, so she stopped completely.I do it this way, and I also don't get any steriods with my dose,as steriods and me don't get along,so for me having it 1x a week without steriods might be the reason I handle it so well, I don't know. My red cells are low,but not low enough to stop chemo,or need booster shots. But like I said I'm actually getting a larger dose of the chemo than having it 5 days. At first the nurses kept calling my Onc to verify the dosage,because it is not the norm. Good luck,if I can help any please don't hesitate to write me....(((hugz)))>>>Joanne