Sad about Chat

survivor51
survivor51 Member Posts: 276
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I know they are working so hard to get the problem with the chat rooms fixed but I will miss my sisters tonight. I was needing a little help up the roller coaster since in the morning I go to the oncologist. It is my one year mark and 6 months 8 months since chemo. What questions do I ask? I keep hearing where the cancer has come back but it is after the fact and it is in several places. How can I find out before it is bad news. Apparently the blood test does not show. I will ask my oncologist but is there something I should focus with? Maybe I am just not thinking straight. Angela

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Hi Angela, I would ask if your doc plans on doing an annual bone and ct scan? MY one year since dx is next week and i too am out 8 months since my last chemo. I now am scheduled to visit my oncol every 4 months just to touch bases with him. If anything unusual comes up I can get in sooner. Get a piece of paper and think about how you have been feeling. Is everything good or do you have aches or pains you are unsure of? If you do be sure to address them no matter how small you think they are. You may want to know when you can expect to feel as spunky as you used to so ask, maybe you are concerned with what preventative things you can do. I will be asking my doc why after this last chemo my stomach seems to be so very sensitive, and why my equalibrian is way off. No question that you have is too small to ask. I will be praying for you tomorrow as you go t your checkup. Oh, by the way I really miss chat too!

Hugs to you,

Rena
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    I had colon cancer not breast cancer but I miss chat too. Your oncologist should be able to answer all of your questions. One of my best friends is a 10 year breast cancer survivor and she was told if it was going to come back it would come back fairly soon (it didn't), She has a digital MRI done once a year, don't know if it appropriate in your case, but you could ask - she has an annual mamogram also. My thoughts are with you I'll bet you will be fine.
  • babs49242
    babs49242 Member Posts: 193
    RE said:

Hi Angela, I would ask if your doc plans on doing an annual bone and ct scan? MY one year since dx is next week and i too am out 8 months since my last chemo. I now am scheduled to visit my oncol every 4 months just to touch bases with him. If anything unusual comes up I can get in sooner. Get a piece of paper and think about how you have been feeling. Is everything good or do you have aches or pains you are unsure of? If you do be sure to address them no matter how small you think they are. You may want to know when you can expect to feel as spunky as you used to so ask, maybe you are concerned with what preventative things you can do. I will be asking my doc why after this last chemo my stomach seems to be so very sensitive, and why my equalibrian is way off. No question that you have is too small to ask. I will be praying for you tomorrow as you go t your checkup. Oh, by the way I really miss chat too!

Hugs to you,

Rena

I found my equalibrian to be wacky...I blame it on being lopsided I guess that is why we were given 2 boobs and not one! hahaa I also found my teeth to be more sensitive and I have eye floaters,,,,oh well, I am alive and kicking!!
    I was fretting that I was missing chat..but i really didn't miss..it wasn't working.. Hope to chat next tuesday..
    Cindie
  • survivor51
    RE said:

Hugs to you,

Rena

Thanks Rena, I did make a list of questions that maybe you could use: How likely is it to come back?(numbers and statistics) How can I know if it's back? What should I be looking for? Tell me about oncogenes and genetic test, will this give a better picture?(P53, BRCA1, BRCA2, HER2/neu(erbB-2)) Should I get a 3 dimensional mammography done? what screening test, Tell me about OncotypeDXTM (a modern diagnostic test developed to identify 21 specific genes, should I have the gene test and the progesterone reeptor test in combination? Then I have the other questions with lumps and poor kidneys/liver/leaking heart issues I'll discuss. If you can think of any more. Please share. Angela
  • survivor51
    babs49242 said:

I found my equalibrian to be wacky...I blame it on being lopsided I guess that is why we were given 2 boobs and not one! hahaa I also found my teeth to be more sensitive and I have eye floaters,,,,oh well, I am alive and kicking!!
    I was fretting that I was missing chat..but i really didn't miss..it wasn't working.. Hope to chat next tuesday..
    Cindie

Thanks Cindi,
    Maybe we can all hold hands and walk a straight line. hehehe Angela
  • survivor51
    pamness said:

I had colon cancer not breast cancer but I miss chat too. Your oncologist should be able to answer all of your questions. One of my best friends is a 10 year breast cancer survivor and she was told if it was going to come back it would come back fairly soon (it didn't), She has a digital MRI done once a year, don't know if it appropriate in your case, but you could ask - she has an annual mamogram also. My thoughts are with you I'll bet you will be fine.

Thanks Pam, I'll ask about the MRI. Angela
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member

Thanks Rena, I did make a list of questions that maybe you could use: How likely is it to come back?(numbers and statistics) How can I know if it's back? What should I be looking for? Tell me about oncogenes and genetic test, will this give a better picture?(P53, BRCA1, BRCA2, HER2/neu(erbB-2)) Should I get a 3 dimensional mammography done? what screening test, Tell me about OncotypeDXTM (a modern diagnostic test developed to identify 21 specific genes, should I have the gene test and the progesterone reeptor test in combination? Then I have the other questions with lumps and poor kidneys/liver/leaking heart issues I'll discuss. If you can think of any more. Please share. Angela

Thanks Angela, looks like you are really thinking a lot about the questions to ask. For my fam two have had the gene test and were BRCA1 positive, something we pretty much expected. It really didn't do anything to change how my cancer is treated though except to ensure that I do get the 3 demi mammo on the breast I have left. The Oncotype DXTM test sounds interesting so I will be inquiring about that. You mentioned your heart and I was wondering if they gave you a mugga (heart test) before and after your chemo treatment. I had adriamiacin which is a heart hurter so they did the mugga before and after. I also had the echo cardio test done 3 months after my last chemo. My oncologist has always told me to pay attention to how I feel on a day to day basis and to notice when something just does not feel normal. This is how I found my cancer Feb 07, I just could not get well. I had constant colds, infections etc. all because my body was using all of it's resources to fight the cancer. I also get the CT and Bone scans annually to look to see if anything is growing. Again sending my prayers your way.