new to cancer

redrosesplz
redrosesplz Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi. I'm newly diagnosis with breast cancer in Jan 15.I found a lump on my right breast in November. I had a mommo right before Thanksgiving.I had my biopsy that showed I had Breast cancer. February 20 I had surgery a Right Segmental Mastectomy and Sentinel Node Biopsy. I cut my long hair after 2 days of crying. March 13 I had my Port in cuz I will be doing chemo for a year. I start my first chemo treatment Thursday March 20.I notice my arms hurt all time, it that common? The site where my port hurts. What are questions I should be asking?? Any help is appreciated. Thank you. Martha

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Hi Martha:
    Sorry to have to meet you under these circumstances, wish we didn't have to welcome another sister to the group, but unfortunately, we can't change the facts. You will find a unique group of women here. We all try to help each other out as much as possible. We are one great group of women survivors. About your port, I also had a port in my chest and the site was sore for about 3 to 4 weeks. My left arm was a little sore near the shoulder because the iv was placed in the artery going down my arm. That discomfort didn't go away until the port was removed. If your right arm hurts that is common from the mastectomy and the lymph node removal. With time that pain will go away and you will be able to raise your arm all the way up above your head. Any pain you feel discuss with the oncologist before you start your treatment. Discuss possible side effects, if you should be avoiding any foods, I was told I couldn't eat raw fish or seafood, no soy products, etc. We also have discussions on Tuesday nites in chat room 2 at 9:00pm est. The chat room is not functioning right now but join us next Tuesday and you can ask other survivors more questions. I am so sorry you have to go through this, but remember we are here for you and keep a positive attitude. Think that it will soon be over and you are a survivor. Best of luck to you and keep us posted. By the way, what kind of chemo will they be giving you? Love, hugs & prayers. Lili
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I agree that I wish we did not have to meet under the circumstances that bring us to this site, but it is a great site for those of us who need it. Soon after my diagnosis in May '07, I bought a book from the ACS online bookstore called "my Cancer Journey" (I think that's the right title), that was very informative. You can also look on the website "chemocare.com" to find specific information on your chemo, including side effects. I think the pain is normal. I have had my port in since May 2007. It did give me pain for a week or so. I had a bilateral mastectomy with 7 nodes removed on the right side 12/21/007. I still have some tightness under the right arm, especially if I try to vacuum the whole house all at once, or if I move furniture by myself, or anything else that I should know better. Talk to your surgeon, Oncologist, or nurses. Nurses know a LOT about how to help patients be as comfortable as possible. I lost my hair over the summer and tried a wig (went so far as to bring one home, but have not used it once). I have ordered several hats from the ACS catalog "TLC", and generous friends have given me some. I seem to have a larger than average hat size, though, so some of the ones I have been given have been too tight. I never thought about hats before, but I have found that I look good in them and I enjoy them!

You are in our prayers, seof
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Hey Martha,
    Welcome to this roller coaster ride and you are definitely not alone. This is a great site to feel totally comfortable with asking for any advise, help, or to give someone comfort. There is a 24/7 number that ACS 1800-227-2345 and they are extrememly helpful. One time they didn't know the answer but researched and a real nurse called and talked with me within 24 hours. I had a bilater mast due to cancer in both sides and chemo. I did have longer hair and after my first treatment, it did all come out. After the shock, I found it to be comfortable and did go around the house without a hat. I found the bandannas very helpful and found them in all colors at the craft store, we have a place called "Michaels" here. Also, check with your oncologist and they can guide you to free classes that help with how to tie your scarves, makeup, etc. It is really great. This is a wonderful site and I find that go to chat almost everynight to connect with others. To help with the aches and pains, I found that a great help with warm showers, several a day. There is a item called "bedbuddy" found at Walmart or Walgreens drug store. I found several good sites by googleing it. You can also get a large tube sock, fill it with white rice(uncooked of course) and pop it in the microwave for 90 seconds. It helps with adding moist heat to the area. REMEMBER to drink plenty of water with Chemo days both pre and post. It is extremely important and will help with side effects. Angela
  • Hi! I am glad you have found this resource. When I first came here I couldn't even begin to give any advice. This site has helped my spirits many times and at times has made the difference between me freaking out over a nagging question and me getting exactly the answer I needed. I am always heartened by the time that others take to consider and wisely answer my questions. There are people on this site from all stages of the journey. I myself will finish my chemo tomorrow! I don't have a port, and can't comment on that, but any time you post I will read it and if I can offer you anything at all, will do so. By the way, from time to time I have posted that I need emotional support and the support has come pouring in. Write anything you want, ask everything you need. We are here for each other and YOU!
    love,
    Joyce P.S. Be sure to cry a lot for your hair, because for every tear will come a smile when your hair starts to grow back in. Mine is only a 4:00 shadow and I admire it constantly.
  • 3cbrca
    3cbrca Member Posts: 206
    Hi Martha
    Welcome - this site has saved me. You are among friends. My port hurt for awhile - it's right where the bra strap is, but eventually you don't notice it. The hair is tough but I found beautiful big scarves and had fun with them. The arm hurts for awhile. Ask every question that crosses your mind... I sometimes feel like I'm being neurotic asking so many questions, or checking in on new rashes or pains that pop up. But my team is good about answering my questions and letting me know what is normal and what needs to checked out.
    Keep checking in on the site. You will get a lot of encouragement and strength from the women here.
    Sheilah
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Hello Martha! I also welcome you to CSN~ you are indeed among a warm, nurturing group of survivors! We are in various places along the cancer road, and can help you to maneuver your way to Life After Cancer! ( and Life During Cancer, as well!!!)

With surgery, and a port, it is not uncommon at all to feel pain/discomfort/ or just an awareness of something different! Think about the assault your poor body has gone thru!

Make the chemo RNs your best friends! We women tend to be nurturers, and it is oftentimes not part of our psyche to ask for help. Cancer treatment is a new normal~ if need be, MAKE yourself ask questions! If you are constipated, or in pain, or worried about anything at all which you may think trivial~ get over it! :-) There is nothing at all which is too trivial to ask about! After all, this is new ground!

Again, welcome to the Sisterhood of the Traveling Mammograms! We hope to see you in here often, posting and reading~ and when the chatroom is back up and running, we also have Tuesday evening Breast Cancer chat!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Hi Martha, sorry we have to meet like this but welcome. You'll find these ladies will take great care of you. I did not have a port so I can't help you there, but I did cut my long hair and cried. Not so much because I was loosing my hair, but because of what it represented.

You'll be starting your chemo tomorrow, best of luck to you.
    jan