Cheer

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I wonder sometimes about the newly diagnosed or new to the site people who stop by and read a few of the posts. Of course we write when we are troubled (and I sure have!). Today I want to write that I am not troubled. Probably because my hair has just started to grow in. Yes, you need to look in the magnifying mirror to see it, but I have used magnifying mirrors to look at problems too, so fair is fair! If you are dealing with pain, please know that their will be good days again. I have been one of the biggest babies ever and bewailed plenty. Hang in there, everyone. I think a good way to explain how it has been for me is that I have moved from living in a climate with few seasonal changes to this new "C" Land. In this land the weather changes. Cold and bitter, warm and lovely, each day has new weather. I will always live in this land, now, but I am learning how to wrap up in warm clothes when I need to keep warm and dance in the sun whenever it shines. If you are new and hurting, or just want to chat, feel free to post us or email me directly for a friend. You know how it is, friends often chat about the weather!
Wishing everyone some sunshine. Love, Joyce

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    What a marvelous analogy, that is it in a nut shell. Our world changed when we became a part of the cancer family. There are bad days and good ones. I have been on my cancer journey now for 11 years and even though i have had it 3 times I must admit these last 11 years have been wonderful. I have seen my daughter get married, I have become a grandparent twice now and I have enjoyed many days with family and friends. Cancer is just a part of our lives not the whole thing. We are so much more! Hugs to all!!!!
  • rmap59
    rmap59 Member Posts: 266
    Options
    Hi Joyce,
    I'll have some of what you are having. Cheers to you! I think the bad days make the good days even better.
    Love, Robin
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Options
    Joyce,
    You are absolutely correct and life is good. There are and will be some ups and downs but we all support each other with the good, the bad, and the ugly. We are family. Angela
  • Cindy54
    Cindy54 Member Posts: 452
    Options
    Joyce, what a great post! You and all the girls here have made so many of my days just by reading about your lives. And it's true, we may all be going through something but that isn't all there is to us. Thanks to all of you ladies for making my days so much better! Cindy
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Joyce, that was absolutely beautiful and you have not been a baby. Your posting makes me happy and I thank you for that. Just wait and see how curly your hair will be!
    Sunshine back at you
    jan
  • bev49
    bev49 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Joyce,
    I was so thrilled to have that "five-0-clock shadow" for hair on my head, I stopped wearing my scarf, and thought the whole world could see my tiny, thin, hair which looked like a full head of hair to me!! I was just so proud to comb through it too..haha. I realize now I still looked bald to most people, but boy, I was standing tall as it meant my body was returning to normal. As it grew, got darker, thicker, and very, very curly. I love it to this day. Enjoy your moment in the sunlight..let it reflect how awesome we sisters are!
    Blessings from above,
    bev49
  • bev49 said:

Joyce,
    I was so thrilled to have that "five-0-clock shadow" for hair on my head, I stopped wearing my scarf, and thought the whole world could see my tiny, thin, hair which looked like a full head of hair to me!! I was just so proud to comb through it too..haha. I realize now I still looked bald to most people, but boy, I was standing tall as it meant my body was returning to normal. As it grew, got darker, thicker, and very, very curly. I love it to this day. Enjoy your moment in the sunlight..let it reflect how awesome we sisters are!
    Blessings from above,
    bev49

The pride is so true! If I wanted to show off my new growth, I would have to hand out magnifying glasses to the public. But to have something go right again is incredibly uplifting. Thanks for sharing your experience. Now, no matter what else I am doing, my hair is growing. Whoops, better go check on it! Joyce (still a long ways from needing a comb)
  • Skybuf
    Skybuf Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Joyce, lovely post..I enjoyed reading it and your right, we have some awesome days and after what we've been thru, we seem to enjoy them even more.
    Hats off to you girlfriend...I now need a hair cut it's getting so long. Almost feel guilty cutting it after having it shaved after one treatment of cheom.....but it DOES come back and it's the same as before. I've had a touch up also and it's soft and shiny again. Time....and thanks for your analogy, so true. I love this chat room !
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Hooray on the Hair Growth! I remember touching and rubbing my head a million times a day when I felt the post chemo growth! I went from Bald, to newborn, to Baby Chick, to Chia-pet, to Finger in light socket, to a semblance of what I used to have, to now, 5 years later, even nicer hair than Pre-Cancer!!! Whew! Thanks for the memories, and making me smile...

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Hats off to Joyce who is enjoying her new "do". When the temperature hit 90 degrees my wig came off. I died my 6 o'clock shadow red and spiked it when it got long enough. So nice to feel the wind blow through my hair again. (I would never go without my wig.) Ah! such memories.
  • Jadie said:

Hats off to Joyce who is enjoying her new "do". When the temperature hit 90 degrees my wig came off. I died my 6 o'clock shadow red and spiked it when it got long enough. So nice to feel the wind blow through my hair again. (I would never go without my wig.) Ah! such memories.

You guys sure make me smile! My hair is more of a 4:00 shadow. I am looking forward to 6:00 shadow. Really, there is something so innocent about it...just when I thought every innocent part of me had been blasted away. Thanks to everyone for sharing. We are all beautiful!
  • Joyce, what a lovely analogy. You should give yourself more credit-you are strong and brave. And you are making it through this nightmare. Congrats on your new seedlings! I remember how exciting it was to see those fuzzy new hairs appearing. I finished chemo 16 months ago and my new hair is still super curley. Before you know it you will have a full head of hair. Thank you for your lovely post. Eileen