Stage 3C or Stage 4 Reconstruction

3cbrca
3cbrca Member Posts: 206
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi All
Is there anyone out there who was diagnosed with Stage IIIC or Stage IV that has had reconstruction? My seromas seem to have finally stopped and I'm feeling so much better now that they discovered that my thyroid function was severely damaged during chemo/RT. (I went 8 or 10 months without thyroid function) I've gotten the go ahead for reconstruction from my Radiation Oncologist, but I know my risk for recurrence is so high and that it usually occurs in the first two years. (recurrance rate is 96% over 10 years and survival is around 25%)

I feel good and really want to start looking "normal" again (I had a bilateral mastectomy last April), but I don't want to go through all that surgery if I'm going to have to go through more chemo etc...

Has anyone else struggled with this? If so, how did you come to your decision?

Comments

• seeknpeace
    seeknpeace Member Posts: 259
    I hope someone with this history can help you. My take is if you want to do it, do it. I am dying my hair purple because I want to. You will look fabulous with your new breasts darling. Life is unfair enough. As the character on SNL used to say "it is better to look good than to feel good". hahaha..that was a comedy show, but we have to feel bad and have no control.

I send you all my love, prayers and best wishes.

Jan
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Just wanted to say that I'm glad you're feeling better and have your thyroid issue resolved.
    jan
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I am sending big hugs. VERY happy to hear your body is returning to 'normal'...chemo gives it such a hit!

I only had stage 2, with lumpectomy...so I am no help...

Hugs, Kathi
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    I had a bilateral mast March 17 of last year and have had the reconstruction. I don't know if I will need more chemo but it didn't matter to me...I wanted to look myself as soon as I could. Even if I have to have more chemo, I'm soooo pleased with my new breast. There will always be a risk of recurrence but I'm not letting it dictate what I will/will not do. The reconstruction was strictly for the "me". Angela
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I had a bilateral mastectomy 12/21/07 and have temporary expanders in place until after I finish chemo and radiation, then I will be doing reconstruction. Statistically, I am not in a high risk group for recurrence, so Dr. told me bilateral was not "medically necessary". My sister was in a similar situation and she wound up in the minority that had recurrence in the other breast and it spread from there. I decided to minimize the risk. I know cancer can recurr at any time to anyone, but I am determined to live as well as I can for as long as I can, and that includes my self-image. That is why I am doing reconstruction. It is my understanding that recurrence in the tissue they use for reconstruction is rare. No one can guarantee how long any of us have, and I understand the hesitancy to go through more surgery, but I think you should do whatever will make you feel the best and enjoy life the most. Go for the reconstruction, if it helps you feel good about yourself, no matter what the statistics say. You are a cancer survivor, but you are you first!

That's my 2cents worth. seof
  • 3cbrca
    3cbrca Member Posts: 206
    seof said:

I had a bilateral mastectomy 12/21/07 and have temporary expanders in place until after I finish chemo and radiation, then I will be doing reconstruction. Statistically, I am not in a high risk group for recurrence, so Dr. told me bilateral was not "medically necessary". My sister was in a similar situation and she wound up in the minority that had recurrence in the other breast and it spread from there. I decided to minimize the risk. I know cancer can recurr at any time to anyone, but I am determined to live as well as I can for as long as I can, and that includes my self-image. That is why I am doing reconstruction. It is my understanding that recurrence in the tissue they use for reconstruction is rare. No one can guarantee how long any of us have, and I understand the hesitancy to go through more surgery, but I think you should do whatever will make you feel the best and enjoy life the most. Go for the reconstruction, if it helps you feel good about yourself, no matter what the statistics say. You are a cancer survivor, but you are you first!

That's my 2cents worth. seof

Thanks to all of you. As some of you know I had planned to have the expanders placed at the time of surgery, but my plas surgeon, called in sick (had a vision problem and had to quit practicing). At that time I thought I was IIB or early Stage III.

I am really struggling with this because I too want to live as well as I can and I'm not sure that another major surgery (lat flaps - they won't do simple implants anymore because of the amount of RT)and additional doctor visits are part of that quality life. On the other hand maybe having breast again might help me feel like a real survivor.

These days I feel like I've survived a lot of surgery and treatments, but not so sure I've survived cancer. (I may have to have belly surgery soon- they think I have adhesions from my CR cancer surgery) Thinking about any more surgery after that is overwhelming!!! Maybe they can do it all at once!

Thanks for all kind thoughts and for being out there in my cyberworld.
    Sheilah