Heart Surgery after Chest Radiation

littleladi
littleladi Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I will be needing a valve replacement (not related cancer) and my cardiologist says consideration has to be made because of the radiation and potential for not healing as well. I did have a recurrance after the radiation and mastectomy followed by an infection that put me in the hospital for a week. Funny, when the mastectomy was out patient. Any way - any experience out there with a cracked sternum after radiation?

Comments

• Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    I haven't heard of that one but please keep us posted because there are a lot of us out here that have had radiation. You will be in my prayers and I wish you a speedy recovery.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I think it depends on how 'fresh' the radiation is....but, yes, even my colonoscopy for my 'other' cancer has to be done differently because of the weakening of the colon from radiation. Doesn't mean you won't turn out fine, just the surgeon must be more vigilant about checking for infection....

Hugs, Kathi
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    KathiM said:

I think it depends on how 'fresh' the radiation is....but, yes, even my colonoscopy for my 'other' cancer has to be done differently because of the weakening of the colon from radiation. Doesn't mean you won't turn out fine, just the surgeon must be more vigilant about checking for infection....

Hugs, Kathi

All good to know, thanks for bringing it up and sharing your experiences. I will start radiation after chemo finishes up at the end of this month.

Thanks, seof
  • Juan26
    Juan26 Member Posts: 2
    Please take a look at this:

http://tinyurl.com/2loc64