need for physical therapy

ohilly
ohilly Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello, group! It's ohilly. I am feeling much, much better...I gave in and took my pain medication, but I haven't taken it for 24 hours and still feel better. I am not sure why I don't have as much pain, but am definitely happy for this. My question to those of you who have had mastectomies is: did you have to have physical therapy, and if so why? Or did you just do certain exercises at home, and if so, which ones? The main problem seems to be a feeling of tightness and pressure, but even this seems to be a lot better for me. Any information about physical therapy (also are there websites that show which exercises would be good?) would be appreciated. Thanks. Ohilly

Comments

• survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Ohilly,
    My movement is wonderful and I have no restrictions due to the workout I do in the shower. When my body is warm, I walk the wall with my fingers as far as I go and try to go higher each time. 2. Facing with my shoulder on the wall, I take the opposite arm and keeping it straight, raise it over your heard and touch the wall. Then slowly move away from the wall and try to touch again. Any exercise that can help up, over, out, back to stretch those areas. You are newly "implanted" so be kind to yourself and take it careful. Be sure to ask your nurse or the doctor about which exercise is best. I found a good site: http://www.y-me.org/coping/daytoday/exercise.php
    Hoope this helps, Angela
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Hi Ohilly! Yes, I did have PT . I am a PT and felt it would be best for me to generally get stronger as I work in a Nursing Home and have to be strong. By the time I went , My arm mobility was good but I had a Tram Flap and my abdomen was weak and my balance slightly unstable so felt it necessary to get some therapy. I was back at work in 7 weeks as well as on the tennis courts at the same time. Do I think it's absolutely necessary, no but I sure think it was well worth it! Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Hi again hun,
    A therapist came to my hospital room and showed me what to do when I got home. (Remember I did this twice.) Well, those exercises were HUGE as far as my overall recovery was concerned. When I had my first mast, I had a 1 yr old and I wanted to get back to being able to life him ASAP. The exercises free up your shoulder movement and improve circulation in arm and hand.
    Here is some of what I did: Stand at arm's length from the wall and just walk your fingers up and down the wall. 'Walk' a little farther each day, according to what is comfortable.
    Also, loop a jump rope over the top of a door and hold to each end with each hand. Pull your 'ouchie' arm up by pulling on the rope with your 'good' arm. Then slowly lower and repeat.
    Try this: Lay on your back and hold a yard stick in both hands, keeping your hands just far apart enough to allow for the width of your body. Then lift and lower the stick over your head and back down (don't go all the way up at first), allowing your good arm to do most of the work at first.
    And the other thing I did that helped a lot (which was not recommended by the therapist, but was a part of my life-style) was to hang laundry on the line! No kidding. I was soooo proud when I could hang sheets as well as 'hankies' LOL. Gotta love life, huh?
    God bless, dear. You are going to be fine.
  • CatheS
    CatheS Member Posts: 21
    YES to supervised physical therapy, yes to exercising every day at home. I am in third month of recovery from double mastectomies with replacement and I would not take the initial surgical date until I could get on the OT date book. It was imperitive for me to have some gentle kindness and daily movement for healing while learning my newly formed and very tight upper body. Congrats on your journey - I have been cheering u on from afar. You have come a long way!!
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    unknown said:

Hi again hun,
    A therapist came to my hospital room and showed me what to do when I got home. (Remember I did this twice.) Well, those exercises were HUGE as far as my overall recovery was concerned. When I had my first mast, I had a 1 yr old and I wanted to get back to being able to life him ASAP. The exercises free up your shoulder movement and improve circulation in arm and hand.
    Here is some of what I did: Stand at arm's length from the wall and just walk your fingers up and down the wall. 'Walk' a little farther each day, according to what is comfortable.
    Also, loop a jump rope over the top of a door and hold to each end with each hand. Pull your 'ouchie' arm up by pulling on the rope with your 'good' arm. Then slowly lower and repeat.
    Try this: Lay on your back and hold a yard stick in both hands, keeping your hands just far apart enough to allow for the width of your body. Then lift and lower the stick over your head and back down (don't go all the way up at first), allowing your good arm to do most of the work at first.
    And the other thing I did that helped a lot (which was not recommended by the therapist, but was a part of my life-style) was to hang laundry on the line! No kidding. I was soooo proud when I could hang sheets as well as 'hankies' LOL. Gotta love life, huh?
    God bless, dear. You are going to be fine.

My medical center gave me a series of ten exercises to do with a three foot dowel. My husband sawed a broom handle to the right length so they could keep their dowel! I imagine a yardstick works well too. I also had the "up and down" exercise. Another one that was a bit hard at first was holding the dowel and moving it to the right parellel to the floor about shoulder high. That worked the arm muscles. There was another one where I held the dowel behind my back in either hand and pushed back with my arms straight. They were just gentle stretches, but I really felt like I had worked out after doing my 20-30 minutes. I was supposed to work up to 10 reps each, twice a day. It really helped. I also hung the laundry, but my husband had to carry the basket both ways. It took a month and a half before I could carry the basket myself. Walking while swinging my arms was good exercise too. Don't overdo it though. Ask your doctor how much is okay for you, especially since you just had reconstruction. You don't want to blow any stitches!
  • DAArps123
    DAArps123 Member Posts: 8
    I was wondering what made you choose the TRAM flap. My story is as follows:

Hello. I am 43 years old. This is the first time I've posted on this. I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma of the right breast in October 2007. I have had 2 surgeries to remove the cancerous tissue. The first surgery removed the micro-calcifications found on the Mammograms. They thought they got clear margins, but the Oncologist wanted "wider" clear margins. I then had numerous magnified, digital mammograms, a breast MRI, a bone scan, a chest xray, and a MUGA scan of the heart. Nothing showed up on any of these scans. But, the Oncologist wanted a "wider" clear margin and wanted the lymph nodes taken out. I then had a central lumpectomy and they removed 2 Sentinel Nodes and 13 lymph nodes.

The scariest part was that the "wider" tissue that was taken had 5 more areas of cancer in it. These 5 areas did NOT show up in any of the scans! The first Sentinel Node also had cancer. The 2nd Sentinel Node was clean. The first lymph node after that also had cancer. So 2 out of 15 Nodes had cancer. It was rated Stage II. After all of these scans and xrays and MRI that showed the "all clear", the tissue actually had 5 more areas with cancer. Because of this, we are unsure whether the rest of the breast also has cancer "hiding" in it. I will therefore have a mastectomy in April 2008.

This comes after 6 rounds of chemotherapy. I have just completed number 5. I have been on TC (Taxotere and Cytoxin). The first round they included Adriamycin which tore my stomach up!!! It was intolerable and I told my oncologist I'd die before I did that again. He took me off the A in the TAC formula. It made a world of difference for me. The rest of the chemo treatments aren't fun, but they are tolerable.

My questions are now related to mastectomy and breast reconstruction. I DO NOT want implants. I can't even stand the stupid little port being under my skin. That thing has bothered me since the beginning! I don't want future surgeries to replace implants. I don't want something foreign in my body. Being from the Midwest, my options are limited. There are surgeons who will do the TRAM flap or the Lattissimus Dorsi Flap surgery to reconstruct. BUT..I don't want these either. They actually move MUSCLE, FAT and SKIN from the back or the stomach to the breast area to reconstruct the breast mound. I've had 2 c-sections and know what pain is, especially when it involves movement or cutting of muscle. Not only that, it leaves added scars and possible malformations (indentations)on the back and tummy. I don't want that!

The next option seems to be the DIEP (Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforator)surgery. Now...saying that is an option is not really true for people in the Midwest! My insurance company didn't even know what that surgery was when I called them to ask for my options. They also do not know of a surgeon under their plan who can perform this surgery. The DIEP surgery DOES NOT involve any MUSCLE moving, just the fat and skin. The fat and skin come from the lower tummy area and it is removed and reattached in the breast area. It also involves tieing off, cutting and reattaching blood vessels (artery and vein). Therefore, the surgeon has to be a micro-vascular, plastic surgeon who specializes in breast reconstruction. Hard to find in the Midwest apparently.

There is yet another option. The I-GAP (Inferior Gluteal Arterial Perforator) surgery. This is where they take the FAT and SKIN from the lower part of the butt and reattach it to the breast area. This sounded like the best option to me because I have plenty of fat and skin there. It also gives you a butt and thigh lift. The scar is not very evident because it's located in the crease between the thigh and butt. Well, this was virtually an impossible option. No experienced surgeons and not covered by insurance. There were surgeons in New York that can do the I-GAP. I didn't find anyone else qualified or experienced. This surgery would be for the rich and famous ONLY!

Speaking of costs. MD Anderson in Houston could do the DIEP surgery, but for over $100,000.00. Another place in San Antonio, could do the same surgery for $18,000.00. This is very confusing. Why so much in one place and not the other? I was considering the San Antonio location, but, my insurance won't authorize me to have it there and this place wants up front payment.

I'm just curious to know other people's experiences with reconstruction and where they went and was it covered by their insurance? If you have had the DIEP reconstruction, please let me know what to expect. I plan on traveling to get my DIEP surgery and I plan on taking out loans if I have to. Please help me with your advice. Thanks so much! DeeDee
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    DAArps123 said:

I was wondering what made you choose the TRAM flap. My story is as follows:

Hello. I am 43 years old. This is the first time I've posted on this. I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma of the right breast in October 2007. I have had 2 surgeries to remove the cancerous tissue. The first surgery removed the micro-calcifications found on the Mammograms. They thought they got clear margins, but the Oncologist wanted "wider" clear margins. I then had numerous magnified, digital mammograms, a breast MRI, a bone scan, a chest xray, and a MUGA scan of the heart. Nothing showed up on any of these scans. But, the Oncologist wanted a "wider" clear margin and wanted the lymph nodes taken out. I then had a central lumpectomy and they removed 2 Sentinel Nodes and 13 lymph nodes.

The scariest part was that the "wider" tissue that was taken had 5 more areas of cancer in it. These 5 areas did NOT show up in any of the scans! The first Sentinel Node also had cancer. The 2nd Sentinel Node was clean. The first lymph node after that also had cancer. So 2 out of 15 Nodes had cancer. It was rated Stage II. After all of these scans and xrays and MRI that showed the "all clear", the tissue actually had 5 more areas with cancer. Because of this, we are unsure whether the rest of the breast also has cancer "hiding" in it. I will therefore have a mastectomy in April 2008.

This comes after 6 rounds of chemotherapy. I have just completed number 5. I have been on TC (Taxotere and Cytoxin). The first round they included Adriamycin which tore my stomach up!!! It was intolerable and I told my oncologist I'd die before I did that again. He took me off the A in the TAC formula. It made a world of difference for me. The rest of the chemo treatments aren't fun, but they are tolerable.

My questions are now related to mastectomy and breast reconstruction. I DO NOT want implants. I can't even stand the stupid little port being under my skin. That thing has bothered me since the beginning! I don't want future surgeries to replace implants. I don't want something foreign in my body. Being from the Midwest, my options are limited. There are surgeons who will do the TRAM flap or the Lattissimus Dorsi Flap surgery to reconstruct. BUT..I don't want these either. They actually move MUSCLE, FAT and SKIN from the back or the stomach to the breast area to reconstruct the breast mound. I've had 2 c-sections and know what pain is, especially when it involves movement or cutting of muscle. Not only that, it leaves added scars and possible malformations (indentations)on the back and tummy. I don't want that!

The next option seems to be the DIEP (Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforator)surgery. Now...saying that is an option is not really true for people in the Midwest! My insurance company didn't even know what that surgery was when I called them to ask for my options. They also do not know of a surgeon under their plan who can perform this surgery. The DIEP surgery DOES NOT involve any MUSCLE moving, just the fat and skin. The fat and skin come from the lower tummy area and it is removed and reattached in the breast area. It also involves tieing off, cutting and reattaching blood vessels (artery and vein). Therefore, the surgeon has to be a micro-vascular, plastic surgeon who specializes in breast reconstruction. Hard to find in the Midwest apparently.

There is yet another option. The I-GAP (Inferior Gluteal Arterial Perforator) surgery. This is where they take the FAT and SKIN from the lower part of the butt and reattach it to the breast area. This sounded like the best option to me because I have plenty of fat and skin there. It also gives you a butt and thigh lift. The scar is not very evident because it's located in the crease between the thigh and butt. Well, this was virtually an impossible option. No experienced surgeons and not covered by insurance. There were surgeons in New York that can do the I-GAP. I didn't find anyone else qualified or experienced. This surgery would be for the rich and famous ONLY!

Speaking of costs. MD Anderson in Houston could do the DIEP surgery, but for over $100,000.00. Another place in San Antonio, could do the same surgery for $18,000.00. This is very confusing. Why so much in one place and not the other? I was considering the San Antonio location, but, my insurance won't authorize me to have it there and this place wants up front payment.

I'm just curious to know other people's experiences with reconstruction and where they went and was it covered by their insurance? If you have had the DIEP reconstruction, please let me know what to expect. I plan on traveling to get my DIEP surgery and I plan on taking out loans if I have to. Please help me with your advice. Thanks so much! DeeDee

Hi DeeDee! I didn't choose Tram Flap! My MD told me that's what he was going to do. I was totally terrified! I have to say, I'm very satisfied with it . I think I would have been totally overwhelmed if I had choices. I don't think I would have chosen it because of the intense surgery and rehab but it really wasn't as bad as I expected. Please feel free to e-mail me here and ask any specific questions you might have. I'm a 7 1/2 year survivor. HUGS!! Cathy