Radiation Questions

Cindy54
Cindy54 Member Posts: 452
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Okay ladies, have a couple questions regarding radiation. I would rather hear it from you than try and believe all the stuff on the net. It seems the most side effects are fatigue. Did all of youexperience this and when sis it come on...early in treatment or later? For those of you who have job, were you able to work while going through this? I appreciate any infor you can share. Thanks and hugs to everyone! Cindy

Comments

• Haven't had mine yet so I am going to be reading the replies right along side you! Thanks for asking a good question.
    Joyce
  • babs49242
    babs49242 Member Posts: 193
    I experienced fatigue,(I think it just ran over from the Chemo). The fatigue started shortly after the 2nd & 3rd treatment. I di not work during my chemo or rads,But I was very tired and felt I would be worthless working,esp since I had no concentration...A lot of survivors do work thru rads, depends on the person.
    Best of healing thoughts and soothing hugs.
    Cindie
  • Skybuf
    Skybuf Member Posts: 143
    Hi Cindy,
    I did the chemo and rads. Chemo knocked me down pretty good but radiation for me was a walk in the park (except for my feet due to Taxol) other than that not many side effects. It does cause fatigue but the whole treatment thing does. I went back to work 2 mths after rads....had to stop due to my feet and lack of energy.
    You will do fine, they have a lot of fun and make it a good experience at the lodges if your staying at one. I met some wonderful people and you mingle and mix and make new lasting friends.
    Radiation only takes minutes then your on your own for the day. Lots went shopping and out for dinner and boat trips....each day you will get closer to your goal of "not being so tired" so God bless you hon.
  • 3cbrca
    3cbrca Member Posts: 206
    Hi Cindy
    Fatigue is the big deal and working is certainly possible. I worked at the Univ where I had my treatment and was able to walk over and get zapped and go back to my office. One thing to keep in mind - if the fatigue doesn't get better "on schedule" ask them to check your thyroid. I wasn't getting over the fatigue and they found, 4 months later, that chemo and/or rad had severely damaged my thryoid function. I don't think this happens often, but I had the max on radiation and chemo, but it's something to be aware of. I'm now on replacement therapy and life is so better.
    Best of luck
    She