crying from pain and worried

ohilly
ohilly Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I already wrote about this, but am hoping more people will respond as only a few did to my prior posts. I had a mastectomy with immediate LD flap reconstruction using an implant (it's a new procedure where the reconstruction and implant is done in only one step as opposed to the tissue expander thing). I am in such pain because of the tightness and discomfort in my recon breast it makes me cry! One person suggested moist towels and taking a shower, and this does seem to help a little, but I am wondering how common is this problem, what causes it, and how long does it usually last? It's quite discouraging. I also had an 'accident' in which one of my drains popped off my body and I'm thinking that maybe the pain is from the buildup of the fluid...I still have one drain left and am supposed to see my doctor on Monday. They told me they can either get rid of the fluid by a needle or I may have to have an outpatient procedure to reattach the drain. Anyway, the pain in my breast is killing me and to me, this is worse than anything...chemo is temporary, losing my hair is temporary, but what if I have to live with this pain the rest of my life? On the other hand, it has realistically only been ONE week since my surgery, so I'm trying to be positive and I feel a little ridiculous complaining so much after only one week! Thanks. Ohilly

Comments

• survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    The pain is real and hopefully they have given you pain pills. I advise to take these for at least 2 weeks around the clock. If you wait for the pain to begin, it sets in and is hard to get ahead of it. There is build up of fluid because the drain is not in so it will fill better Monday when they drain it. If it is unbearable, call the doctor for another type of pain pill. Ask the pharmasit which type do not make you constipated. Continue taking the hot showers even if you have to take 20 a day. It has been a short time and you have been through a tramatic surgery and time. It might help to keep a journal and just write and write to get some of the emotion out. Take your meds round the clock...don't miss a time. I remember when I started nursing after my first born and my mild came in....my breast were swollen and hurt then...when he started to suck...it killed me. I cried for days but then the pain stopped. You pain will stop and it won't be with you much longer. You will fill lots better on Monday.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Sorry ohilly, I have nothing constructive to say as I haven't had reconstruction. But I am thinking of you and wishing you well. Please go to your ER if the pain is unbearable. I'm sure they can help you there. Don't feel bad about complaining, it sounds very painful.
    Big Hug
    jan
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Hi Ohilly:
    The pain you are feeling is probably the muscle that was pulled from your back to the chest. That will take a while to adjust itself. In the meantime, take the pain meds the doctor prescribed and don't wait until you're in too much pain, keeping taking them as prescribed before the pain sets in. You should feel better by your second week. I just had the tram flap done 4 weeks ago, and even though I am not in a tremendous amount of pain I still have some discomfort. Don't forget that muscles and nerves were cut and stretched so it takes a while for the body to recuperate. As for the fluid buildup, you shouldn't have too much fluid by now, and you won't feel anything when the doctors aspirates it so don't fret. After my drains were removed, I still had a little buildup and the doctor removed it without inserting another drain. Believe me you won't be in this pain forever. Think positive, you've already been through the worst of it which was the uncertainty of not knowing how bad it was, whether it was in your lymph nodes or if it had spread, which thank God it didn't. Keep up with the moist warm towels, you can throw a wet wash cloth in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up. You have two more days until you see your doctor. Keep taking your pain meds. And remember we're here for you so don't worry about feeling ridiculous we've all been through it. Lili
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I haven't had reconstruction yet, but I would agree with montero...take your pain meds as often as the prescription allows, and don't feel bad about crying...you have been through 3 major operations...breast tissue removed, AND muscle removed from your back, AND muscle attached to the breast, all at once. Talk to your Dr. about the pain and your worries. He/she can tell you what to expect and whether your experience is within the average range of experience. My guess would be that it is, and that it will get better as the weeks go by.

Best wishes, seof
  • tina47
    tina47 Member Posts: 1
    ohilly,
    I had a mastectomy with a immediate implant. It is under my muscle, before the doctor starting inflation I had an infection, second quick day surgery and drain was removed. Unfortunaly I have had quite a lot of pain with the implant, the skin has to stetch and every time they inflate the inmplant there is pain and discomfort. Due to complicaions, I have been going thru this since Nov, not pleasant, but I'm happy to feel my implant for me it was a great loss. Take medication , any and all they give for pain. the day they fill, I take medication before I go and the tightness is difficult, but i know its growing Good luck, pray you don't have any unneccessary pain