lung nodules and no treatment?

Options
denisesheree
denisesheree Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone, ok im stage iv cancer removed from colon and liver all good until it popped up in lungs, i have scans every 3 months and they continue to grow slowly now the largest is 11mm. My oncs arent doing anything about it they have never been positive from the beginning. So i need help i know i need to find those great doctors that believe in fighting this disease but where do i begin? I live in California and of course im willing to go anywhere. Any ideas out there?

Comments

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I can't help you with finding the right doctor, but I just wanted to encourage you to not give up. Prayer works wonders!
  • apache4
    apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Was your scan a PET scan and do they light up? I am Stage IV also and do not mind Dr. telling me that I am incurable, but I do want them to fight with me and treat me. Orignally, my Dr. told me that I would have chemo until I "couldn't take it anymore" which seemed OK until that day came. Then he monitored me and all was OK for six months. He started me on a new chemo and said there was still two more options after that. I am scared now that my new Dr. in Fl. may not understand my will to fight this aggressivley. I just hope that this Dr. will fight with me also. Don't let anyone just "do nothing" if you feel something should be done.
  • NanD
    NanD Member Posts: 58
    Options
    There are many many folks living a long time with stage IV. They manage a very good quality of life while staying on chemo long term. And as apache 4 mentioned, there are lots of drug regimes to try and new ones being developed. Why don't you check around for a second opinion-it couldn't hurt.
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    There are several here who have had surgery to remove lung nodules and they will probably give you an answer. Whether surgery can be done depends upon the location of the nodules as well as the size. The smaller the more difficult. However there are a variety of options including surgery or RFA or the Sir Spheres. I would recommend getting another opinon and consider going to one of the major cancer centers. It seems like you should at least be doing some chemo.

Keep us informed.

• shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I would say to go to a major cancer center. I am not sure which ones are in California, but I am sure there are a couple anyway. I was treated at MD Anderson and had 2 lung nodules show up. When they got to be about the size of yours I had them surgically removed. I have been cancer free for over 3 years now.
    Even if you have many mets, I am surprised they are not doing anything to treat you. I know of one gentleman who had some sort of RFA at a place in San Antonio for lung mets. I am not sure what all treatments are out there, but there ARE treatments. I would certainly try to get another opinion on the matter if I were you. You asked where to begin? When I was told I had my liver met I just asked my onc here (in Alaska) to send me to MD Anderson. Your oncologist should be able to refer you to a major center.
    Best of luck,
    Susan H.
  • dash4
    dash4 Member Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what chemo you have been on yet. My husband is Stage IV 10/04--when he had reoccurence in chest and abdomen and now lung (not operable)-they started him on erbitux and irinotecan. That was in 11/05 and has been on since then. It keeps him stable or at least cancer growing very slowly. I think it is standard protocol to be on it after the 5 FU protocol is finished. I agree with Vinny- I would look into a large cancer center or at least get a second opinion.
    Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Mary Kay
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Where in California? Southern? UCLA has a good center (Nuts! can't think of the oncologist's name...when I do, I will post)....Hoag Memorial, too.

MD Anderson in Texas, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic....all are good....also been getting some good reports from Cancer Centers of America...

Keep fighting, sounds like a second opinion is in order...

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    KathiM said:

Where in California? Southern? UCLA has a good center (Nuts! can't think of the oncologist's name...when I do, I will post)....Hoag Memorial, too.

MD Anderson in Texas, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic....all are good....also been getting some good reports from Cancer Centers of America...

Keep fighting, sounds like a second opinion is in order...

Hugs, Kathi

Northern California has USF...they have a fab colorectal program....I am going to Oakland this weekend to meet with a group called California Colorectal Cancer Coalition...I can ask, if you would like....
  • sladich
    sladich Member Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have Stage IV also and just had a lung RFA done in mid-December. My tumor was 7mm. It was a success. My recent scan showed clear. I would definitely get a second opinion.

Debbie
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, another opinion is definitely in order. I also have small nodules in the lungs, and we are going to look at RFA once they grow big enough. Currently I am on Erbitux and CPT11 which is keeping everything stable. I cannot believe that they are refusing to do anything. I heard great things about MD Anderson, and I had great experiences with Roswell Park in Buffalo. Monica