Question about Chemo

mspakrfan
mspakrfan Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My mom was just diagnosed this week with metaplastic spindle cell cancer of the breast. She is going to have the lymph nodes check this next week as well as the outer area sample taken of where they took the tumor out. If this comes out clean, do she still have to do chemo. If someone doesn't do chemo, will they die if the lymph nodes and surrounding area are not cancerous?

Comments

• This is a question many of us face. Should we do chemo and will it improve our chances of survival?
    You need to talk at length with your mother's doctor and get the exact results of all tests before helping your mother make a decision.
    No one can guarantee that your mother will live or die with any form of treatment or lack thereof. But we generally rely on statistics and our best instincts to help us through the decision process.
    God bless you and your mother.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    unknown said:

This is a question many of us face. Should we do chemo and will it improve our chances of survival?
    You need to talk at length with your mother's doctor and get the exact results of all tests before helping your mother make a decision.
    No one can guarantee that your mother will live or die with any form of treatment or lack thereof. But we generally rely on statistics and our best instincts to help us through the decision process.
    God bless you and your mother.

Great answer! I concur!

Nail down the doc...he/she can give you a better idea...

Hugs, Kathi
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Hey,
    It is wonderful you found this board and are asking question. I highly suggest you call the 24 hour number from ACS 1-800-227-2345. They are a great help. Also, you can call the Y-Me cancer group 1800-221-2141. I have used the ACS several time and have been very pleased with the help. If they don't know the answer, they research it and get back with you. We have a breast chat group that meets on Tuesday nights, est 9:00. You can check the posting from "Dana" and she gives the other times depending on what time zone. My prayers are with you and your mom. I am a breast cancer survivor and going in the chat room is really helpful. The BC chat is Chat 2 on Tuesdays but you can visit Chat 1 anytime and ask. Hope this helps.