Post colon surgery problems and chemo options

Livingbyfaith
Livingbyfaith Member Posts: 55
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Would like some advice. Hubby 66 great health diagnosed stage III colon cancer 2 of 27 lymph nodes with cancer, 5th day post surgery not passing gas. Any advice, also any advice on opting out of chemo would be helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• Sunriver
    Sunriver Member Posts: 50
    Hi,

I was stage II a year ago and went home after surgery but had to go back as my gut shut down. If this is what has happened they will probably give him an NG tube (down his nose to his stomach) at least that is what I got. Eventually things started working again. With me they ran some barium down my tube to take some xrays and the barium seemed to start things going again.

I had chemo with stage II so would definately do it with stage III. Especially since you say he is in good health. The thing to keep in mind with chemo is that you are in charge. If side effects get to be too much you can ask for different dosage, different drugs or you can stop anytime you want. It is generally seen as the best option for most people. Read all you can and talk to your docs and I'm sure you will make the decision that works best for you...Mark
  • davidsonxx
    davidsonxx Member Posts: 134
    My system was slow to restart after both my colon resection and the ileostomy reversal. Some of us are just a little slower than others. Walking is the best thing he can do to help stimulate the bowels. He should try to walk as much as he can handle. Small frequent walks are better than less frequent longer walks. Mostly though you just have to be patient. It took 7 days for my bowels to start working after my resection and I am only 48.

I would suggest he take the chemo. The cancer has already spread to the lymph nodes so there is a significant chance there are stray cancer cells elsewhere in his body. It is possible there are no cancer cells beyond the lymph nodes that were removed but it is a risk that is not worth taking. If you are concerned about the side effects of chemo remember that there is always the option of stopping the chemo treatments or changing the chemo drugs if the side effects become intolerable.
  • Livingbyfaith
    Sunriver said:

Hi,

I was stage II a year ago and went home after surgery but had to go back as my gut shut down. If this is what has happened they will probably give him an NG tube (down his nose to his stomach) at least that is what I got. Eventually things started working again. With me they ran some barium down my tube to take some xrays and the barium seemed to start things going again.

I had chemo with stage II so would definately do it with stage III. Especially since you say he is in good health. The thing to keep in mind with chemo is that you are in charge. If side effects get to be too much you can ask for different dosage, different drugs or you can stop anytime you want. It is generally seen as the best option for most people. Read all you can and talk to your docs and I'm sure you will make the decision that works best for you...Mark

How did you handle the chemo and what type? They said it would decrease the change of reoccurence by 13% to 74% after 5 years. At 66 wondered if this would be worth the problems. Thanks for your reply, also they tried to put the NG tube down his nose and the nurse could not get it done, He ended up vomiting and that relieved the pressure. The xrays showed swelling from the surgery.
  • Livingbyfaith

My system was slow to restart after both my colon resection and the ileostomy reversal. Some of us are just a little slower than others. Walking is the best thing he can do to help stimulate the bowels. He should try to walk as much as he can handle. Small frequent walks are better than less frequent longer walks. Mostly though you just have to be patient. It took 7 days for my bowels to start working after my resection and I am only 48.

I would suggest he take the chemo. The cancer has already spread to the lymph nodes so there is a significant chance there are stray cancer cells elsewhere in his body. It is possible there are no cancer cells beyond the lymph nodes that were removed but it is a risk that is not worth taking. If you are concerned about the side effects of chemo remember that there is always the option of stopping the chemo treatments or changing the chemo drugs if the side effects become intolerable.

Thank you so much, everyone at the hospital said the max was 5 days so called my husband and told him you went 7. He said he passed just a little gas. Your reply and the other is so helpful. Thank you so much.
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    As the others have said, walking is probably one of the most effective ways of getting the bowel to start being more active. Everyone gets some swelling in the area of the bowel that is operated on. It is greater and lasts longer for some but will eventually improve. He needs to have some healing before he starts chemo so there is some time to decide. It might be good to get another opinion. I had stage 2 rectal cancer with a recurrance so had chemo/radiation before the first surgery and chemo after the second. It is not pleasant but fairly tolerable. I did stop the second series after 9 cycles instead of the recommended 12. Your husband can stop the chemo if he doesn't tolerate it. I would recommend that he have a port put in if he has chemo- makes it easier.

• Livingbyfaith

Thanks so much for your advice. He went to the bathroom right after I read your note to him. He said his stomach was still extended though, is that common?
  • davidsonxx
    davidsonxx Member Posts: 134

Thanks so much for your advice. He went to the bathroom right after I read your note to him. He said his stomach was still extended though, is that common?

I am so glad to hear that things have started moving for your hubby. He will have some swelling from the surgery that will cause his stomach to be distended. It will take a while for the swelling to go down. It will also take a while for his bowels to regulate themselves again. The length of time varies greatly from person to person. It can be a rough ride at first but tell him to hang in there it does get a lot better with time. If you or your hubby have any more questions be sure to ask them. Good luck with the rest of his recovery and treatment.
  • Livingbyfaith

I am so glad to hear that things have started moving for your hubby. He will have some swelling from the surgery that will cause his stomach to be distended. It will take a while for the swelling to go down. It will also take a while for his bowels to regulate themselves again. The length of time varies greatly from person to person. It can be a rough ride at first but tell him to hang in there it does get a lot better with time. If you or your hubby have any more questions be sure to ask them. Good luck with the rest of his recovery and treatment.

Hi, thanks, just called and read that to him and he said thanks also.
  • Livingbyfaith
    vinny3 said:

As the others have said, walking is probably one of the most effective ways of getting the bowel to start being more active. Everyone gets some swelling in the area of the bowel that is operated on. It is greater and lasts longer for some but will eventually improve. He needs to have some healing before he starts chemo so there is some time to decide. It might be good to get another opinion. I had stage 2 rectal cancer with a recurrance so had chemo/radiation before the first surgery and chemo after the second. It is not pleasant but fairly tolerable. I did stop the second series after 9 cycles instead of the recommended 12. Your husband can stop the chemo if he doesn't tolerate it. I would recommend that he have a port put in if he has chemo- makes it easier.

Thank you for your encouragement. We both appreciate this.
  • Sunriver
    Sunriver Member Posts: 50

How did you handle the chemo and what type? They said it would decrease the change of reoccurence by 13% to 74% after 5 years. At 66 wondered if this would be worth the problems. Thanks for your reply, also they tried to put the NG tube down his nose and the nurse could not get it done, He ended up vomiting and that relieved the pressure. The xrays showed swelling from the surgery.

Hi,

I had a version of Folfox. I was scheduled for 12 rounds. The first three rounds went well. I had a little cold sensativity in my hands and some "first bite" pain. The fourth round I developed severe diarrea which became c-diff so I ended up back in the hospital for 9 days and stopped chemo at that point.

I'm still glad I had some chemo because as one of my doctors put it - although they give you percentages the fact is with cancer you either get a recurrance or you don't so almost anything that will reduce the chance is worth considering.

Keep reading the posts here and you'll do well...Mark
  • Heider
    Heider Member Posts: 24 Member

Thank you for your encouragement. We both appreciate this.

Livingbyfaith, I am a stage 1v survivor. Ater my surgery, I had chemo. My best advice to you is do live by your name. Have faith that God will grant your hubby the strength to get through this. Hand his treatment over to God. I went through my treatment will little problem. I do have some neuropathy in my feet but that is a small cross to bear. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers.
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Hi There,
    I am 56 and was dx'd at 55 with Stage III colon cancer. They removed the tumor and only2 out of 28 lymph nodes came back as cancer (just like your hubby). We are lucky I say. (they removed about 12 inch of the ascending colon). Fortunately, I didn't have the problem your hubby did. They heard noices and had bowel movement the 4 day after surgery. Of course..I got up and moved all the time. It is so much better for you even though it hurts! I'm just fine now with that part.

Yes..I would opt for the chemo. I started Chemo in April and only have 3 more to go (out of 12..6 mos).

Everyone is different with side effects.
    My first chemo was Oxaliplatin IV and Xeloda pills. I was on this for 3 treatments but had to be taken off because of side effects. I know this medicine is the newest thing and wish I could have taken it.

I am now on Camptosar/Irinotecan IV plus I have a 5FU pump that I take home for 46 hours. This treatment seems to be better for me with the side effects. Still have side effects but not as bad as the other.

For me personally, I'm down for maybe a few days (right after treatment) but then I'm back at'em after that! Not as purky AND it of course, then number one side effect from any chemo is Fatigue.

Please tell your hubby to rest. I was never one for naps..but now I have to have them . They do so much good. I learned the hard way. Kept pushing until I got sick so decided...hey...silly..you need to rest! Ha!

Just keep a good attitude and keep your energy for moving forward and not backward.

HOpe all works out for you and your hubby.

You'll be in my thoughts.

Take care and if you need anymore advise,,,just come back!!

Claudia
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    claud1951 said:

Hi There,
    I am 56 and was dx'd at 55 with Stage III colon cancer. They removed the tumor and only2 out of 28 lymph nodes came back as cancer (just like your hubby). We are lucky I say. (they removed about 12 inch of the ascending colon). Fortunately, I didn't have the problem your hubby did. They heard noices and had bowel movement the 4 day after surgery. Of course..I got up and moved all the time. It is so much better for you even though it hurts! I'm just fine now with that part.

Yes..I would opt for the chemo. I started Chemo in April and only have 3 more to go (out of 12..6 mos).

Everyone is different with side effects.
    My first chemo was Oxaliplatin IV and Xeloda pills. I was on this for 3 treatments but had to be taken off because of side effects. I know this medicine is the newest thing and wish I could have taken it.

I am now on Camptosar/Irinotecan IV plus I have a 5FU pump that I take home for 46 hours. This treatment seems to be better for me with the side effects. Still have side effects but not as bad as the other.

For me personally, I'm down for maybe a few days (right after treatment) but then I'm back at'em after that! Not as purky AND it of course, then number one side effect from any chemo is Fatigue.

Please tell your hubby to rest. I was never one for naps..but now I have to have them . They do so much good. I learned the hard way. Kept pushing until I got sick so decided...hey...silly..you need to rest! Ha!

Just keep a good attitude and keep your energy for moving forward and not backward.

HOpe all works out for you and your hubby.

You'll be in my thoughts.

Take care and if you need anymore advise,,,just come back!!

Claudia

Oh..forgot to tell you something.

Tell your husband that he is an official member of the Semi-Colons!!>>>grin>>>

That's what we all are now.

Claudia
  • Brigid64
    Brigid64 Member Posts: 5
    Hi I was 41 when I had stage 3 colon cancer and it took me about 7 days to pass wind and 8 days before a bowel motion. Hooray then they let me go home after 9 days! The chemo I had was Folfox a combo of 5FU and oxilaplatin. It is no walk in the park, and it takes a year to get over your chemo experience after the last treatment, but definitely consider it. Any chance is better than no chance. But your husband will have serious side effects as discussed, hands and feet pain (peripheral neuropathy), mouth ulcers, nausea, etc. But the fatigue is the killer. Still when you come out the other side, you have given yourself the best possible chance at living. God bless and good luck.
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Hi , hope hubby is doing better and the chemo of course is a personal decision, but definately needs careful consideration. My hubby stage IV , has(had)oral chemo, Xeloda, with an infusion of oxalplatinum and avastin, once every 3 weeks and fortunately(thank God) he has done very well with it so he will be having surgery for liver mets next month. He's managed to work full time and no nausea, hand or foot syndrome and very mild tingling in hands/feet for about 4 days after treatment. He Had to stop the chemo now because of the upcoming surgery. Everyone is different and some regimens are worse than others. You can't really be sure that someone elses experience will be your husbands. Be sure you investigate ALL options with the doctors. If it's one thing I've really learned is that you need to be persistant and research and be your own advocate. God Bless and good luck. Diane
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Hi. Sorry for what you are going through.. I am writing to this post a little late, so I hope you read this! My husband was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer also and had 2 lymph nodes positive as well. It was such a shock and it was all very scary at first. I would highly recommend the chemo. If your husband is in great health as my husband is, the chemo may not be as bad as you think. Of course it is not easy, but it is tolerable for most people. If it is not, you can always stop. It will be one year ago this weekend that my husband was diagnosed. It has been a very busy year full of tears, laughter and much learning! Keep a good attitude and know that you can get through this!! My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Hope your husband is doing better by now. Be sure to ask any questions here or e-mail us if you'd like.

Faith

Faith