Just diagnosed at 44 - Robotics?

jhenrymaine
jhenrymaine Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I learned on August 2 that I have Pca with a Gleason grade of 6 (3+3). One core of 12 was positive for adenacarcinoma (results were reviewed by Johns-Hopkins as well). Had second opinion yesterday in Portland, ME -- GREAT doc who has done 100+ robotic prostatectomies. Seeking 3rd opinion in Bangor, ME this Friday (I fired my first urologist!). Any thoughts on "active surveillance" vs. doing surgery now? Doc told me yesterday that there is a VERY recent movement to consider active surveillance, but I'm not fond of the idea of leaving any cancer in me for any period of time in the future. Comments?

Comments

• joeyray
    joeyray Member Posts: 5
    Five years ago i was also 44 when i learned i had prostate cancer.I opted for RP at Johns Hopkins since robotics was still new.Since then i have been fine with no regrets.Good luck!
  • rogermoore
    rogermoore Member Posts: 264 Member
    I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but it sounds like you have been addressing the primary issue of selecting a Surgeon with care.

Also, I am pleased you found this site and elected to use it. I am a 6 1/2 yr survivor of a radical prostatectomy. My diagnosis was during my 58th yr and many improvements have been made since then. Robotic surgery being one of the most dramatic improvements.

Although my surgery went extremely well and left me with no side effects, the robotic procedure appears to be almost flawless.

I am sure you will receive many responses from your posting. Many of these will from survivors that have experienced first hand exposure to the robotic technique.

Take care and keep us posted on your progress.

Roger
  • dakotarunner
    dakotarunner Member Posts: 102 Member

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but it sounds like you have been addressing the primary issue of selecting a Surgeon with care.

Also, I am pleased you found this site and elected to use it. I am a 6 1/2 yr survivor of a radical prostatectomy. My diagnosis was during my 58th yr and many improvements have been made since then. Robotic surgery being one of the most dramatic improvements.

Although my surgery went extremely well and left me with no side effects, the robotic procedure appears to be almost flawless.

I am sure you will receive many responses from your posting. Many of these will from survivors that have experienced first hand exposure to the robotic technique.

Take care and keep us posted on your progress.

Roger

Welcome to the club. I was diagnosed in Dec, '03. 4+3, PSA 19+. Had RP Jan,'04. Robotics was not mentioned at that time. Am glad I did it. My Dr. had wanted me to wait 6 months. I have never looked back. Do what you feel comfortable with, gut instinct is not a bad leader. Best wishes in the road ahead.
  • RLR64
    RLR64 Member Posts: 23

Welcome to the club. I was diagnosed in Dec, '03. 4+3, PSA 19+. Had RP Jan,'04. Robotics was not mentioned at that time. Am glad I did it. My Dr. had wanted me to wait 6 months. I have never looked back. Do what you feel comfortable with, gut instinct is not a bad leader. Best wishes in the road ahead.

My DH had robotic surgery 1 year ago with no side effects. I say get it out! He was back at work within a week with a catheter and had it removed shortly thereafter without any urine or errectile problems. He was 52.
  • jhenrymaine
    jhenrymaine Member Posts: 8
    RLR64 said:

My DH had robotic surgery 1 year ago with no side effects. I say get it out! He was back at work within a week with a catheter and had it removed shortly thereafter without any urine or errectile problems. He was 52.

Thanks, everyone for the feedback. Had my appt with local urologist yesterday. He's done nearly 100 of the robotic RPs. I plan to use him - both my wife and I felt VERY condident in his ability. He said active surveillance DID demonstrate a 35% increase in early expected morbidity. So I say why wait? I'll risk the small % chance of impotence long-term. I'm glad to stay local, as my teenage sons can visit me and I can work from home during recovery (university administrator). Thanks again for the help and good wishes. I'll let you know when I get it scheduled (October?) and my results afterward.
  • rogermoore
    rogermoore Member Posts: 264 Member

Thanks, everyone for the feedback. Had my appt with local urologist yesterday. He's done nearly 100 of the robotic RPs. I plan to use him - both my wife and I felt VERY condident in his ability. He said active surveillance DID demonstrate a 35% increase in early expected morbidity. So I say why wait? I'll risk the small % chance of impotence long-term. I'm glad to stay local, as my teenage sons can visit me and I can work from home during recovery (university administrator). Thanks again for the help and good wishes. I'll let you know when I get it scheduled (October?) and my results afterward.

jhenry,

Best of luck and know our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Roger
  • Tasch
    Tasch Member Posts: 18

I too was diagnosed at 44. Its a very nerve racking time.
    I truly believe the robotic procedure is the way to go.
    I am 1 year out and have absolutely no side effects.
    If you would like to talk about it, I am open to giving you a call.

let me know. In the mean time, good luck and all thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tasch
  • donjesse
    donjesse Member Posts: 5
    I was diagnosed Sept. 4 and an looking at the da Vinci robot surgery. What did you decide to do???