An AWESOME Book

scouty
scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Everyone!!!!!

I got the "Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips" book and started reading today and it is absolutely the BEST cancer book I have ever read and I'm not even to page 100 yet.

Kris Carr was dxed in 2003 at 31 with an extremely rare vascular cancer that had tumors all in her liver and lungs. It is so rare there were NO treatment options for her (no chemo, surgery, or radiation). One doctor offered to do 3 different transplants but she nixed that.

It truly is a book of tips, 78 total, great for newbies and oldies alike. Her humor and wit is all thru the book and I have laughed out loud several times as she totally relates to some of my cancer experiences. She lends tips about everything (including chemo and other treatments) since one of the first things she did was surround herself with her "cancer babes", other woman dealing with treatable and untreatable cancers. There are websites lised for insurance help and so many other support sites. She covers why second opinions are so important, and even some tidbits about cancer patients that travel further actually have higher success rates then those that stay within 10 miles of their homes.

Her journey thru alternatives (her only option) is very interesting as she finds her share of quacks!!!! And some of her descriptions of nurses and others in cancer centers sure sound familiar (a few Nurse Rachets).

Anyway, I had to share and it is now on my list of recommended books of the newly diagnosed. I can't wait to watch her documentary tonight and will probably finish the book today too. It is a very easy read!!!!

Check it out, it is really insightful and helpful especially for young woman but guys, most of the tips are for you too!!!!

Lisa P.

Comments

• NWmom
    NWmom Member Posts: 80
    Thanks for the info- didn't know there was a book too. I am looking forward to watching the special (though I will tivo it as I won't be here tonight). I have a girlfriend with a rare cancer who is in the same boat, can't do chemo, radiation didn't work, etc. I'll make sure to tell her about Kris Carr and her story.

Thanks,
    Heather
  • Lisa Rose
    Lisa Rose Member Posts: 598 Member
    Hi Lisa,

Glad your enjoying the book. I am also looking forward to reading it I called the local Chapters Book Store and they never had it in stock. They said it would take a week - I think I will just buy it when we are in Nashville. Looking forward to the show tonight it comes on 10pm local time here, another late night for me.

The Learning Channel is broadcasting the premiere of Carr's unforgettable documentary, Crazy Sexy Cancer on August 29, 2007 @ 9:00-11:00pm (ET/PT).

ABOUT THE BOOK BELOW

CRAZY SEXY CANCER TIPS gathers the lessons learned and advice offered from Carr's own journey, as well as the experiences of her cancer posse. Full-color photos accompany personal stories and candid revelations in this scrapbook of advice, warnings, and resources for the cancer patient. Chapters cover your changing social life, dating, sex, and appearance; essential health tips on how to boost your immune system; recipes; medical and holistic resources; and information on young survivor support groups. The resulting book is a warm, yet informative tool for any woman newly diagnosed with the disease and for those who love them.
    For a complete list of tour dates go to crazysexytour.com.

WHY SHE NAMED THE FILM CRAZY SEXY CANCER

"People often ask me why I named the film Crazy Sexy Cancer. The answer is simple: to challenge the perceptions, to poke fun and bring humanity to a disease that is still so misperceived and feared. No matter what happened, I refused to be saddled with the isolating stigma associated with cancer. Just because it had changed my life forever, didn't mean that I had changed."

To view a sneak peak copy the below URL

http://tlc.discovery.com/beyond/index.html?playerId=203711705&categoryId=208816820&lineupId=1143371315&titleId=1140731088
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Lisa Rose said:

Hi Lisa,

Glad your enjoying the book. I am also looking forward to reading it I called the local Chapters Book Store and they never had it in stock. They said it would take a week - I think I will just buy it when we are in Nashville. Looking forward to the show tonight it comes on 10pm local time here, another late night for me.

The Learning Channel is broadcasting the premiere of Carr's unforgettable documentary, Crazy Sexy Cancer on August 29, 2007 @ 9:00-11:00pm (ET/PT).

ABOUT THE BOOK BELOW

CRAZY SEXY CANCER TIPS gathers the lessons learned and advice offered from Carr's own journey, as well as the experiences of her cancer posse. Full-color photos accompany personal stories and candid revelations in this scrapbook of advice, warnings, and resources for the cancer patient. Chapters cover your changing social life, dating, sex, and appearance; essential health tips on how to boost your immune system; recipes; medical and holistic resources; and information on young survivor support groups. The resulting book is a warm, yet informative tool for any woman newly diagnosed with the disease and for those who love them.
    For a complete list of tour dates go to crazysexytour.com.

WHY SHE NAMED THE FILM CRAZY SEXY CANCER

"People often ask me why I named the film Crazy Sexy Cancer. The answer is simple: to challenge the perceptions, to poke fun and bring humanity to a disease that is still so misperceived and feared. No matter what happened, I refused to be saddled with the isolating stigma associated with cancer. Just because it had changed my life forever, didn't mean that I had changed."

To view a sneak peak copy the below URL

http://tlc.discovery.com/beyond/index.html?playerId=203711705&categoryId=208816820&lineupId=1143371315&titleId=1140731088

Hi all -

AMAZON.COM has it for sale at $12.21. Maybe I will get it. Mixed feelings - not sure I want to read about cancer tips because still (head in sand?) I am hoping I don't actually need any!

Betsy