Really rough nite for us

hopefulone
hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Sadly, our 11 year old faithful German Shepard, Shadow, died tonite suddenly. I guess it was better that she died at home with us then having to bring her to have her put down. Right now , my heart is very heavy . She was primarily my husband's dog and devoted to him and he is taking it very hard. In all these years I've never seen my husband tear up but once, when our daughter was born. It broke my heart tonite to see the tears in his eyes. This couldn't have come at a worse time, but in reality, there is no good time. I know that she was old, but it hurts like hell nonetheless . Thanks for letting me have my say. I'm trying very hard to keep the faith . It's very difficult right now. I'm sorry to post a downer. , but I'm just overwhelmed tonite. Thanks for allowing me to grieve. I don't know why, but it helps a little bit. Maybe cause your family now too. I know there are worse things, but she was a big part of our family.
God Bless
Diane

Comments

• alta29
    alta29 Member Posts: 435 Member
    I have been listening to these CD's about Cancer...The PH said (she's the one talking on the CD ) that there are 4 things that helped her go into instant remission...1) attitude 2)Love 3)meditation and having a pet....if possible...get another one...I really believe that it helps...dogs are such a therepy....So sorry about your dog...
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Diane,

My heart breaks for you. I know the feeling of losing a beloved pet. Right now I have my Maggie Mae, a black Lab, who has been devoted to me since my diagnosis. Some of my fellow semi-colons have met Maggie Mae and know she is the love of my life.

My sympathies to you!!

Hugs,

Kerry
  • alta29
    alta29 Member Posts: 435 Member
    I have been listening to these CD's about Cancer...The PH said (she's the one talking on the CD ) that there are 4 things that helped her go into instant remission...1) attitude 2)Love 3)meditation and having a pet....if possible...get another one...I really believe that it helps...dogs are such a therapy....So sorry about your dog...
  • moniquebar
    moniquebar Member Posts: 57
    Don't be sorry. In my opinion, there are few things harder than losing a beloved pet. Hell, the hardest I ever cried was when I lost one of my cats. As far as I'm concerned, pets are part of one's family, and they provide us with unconditional love. I'm so sorry for loss Diane.

Monique
  • pink05
    pink05 Member Posts: 550
    Diane,

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dog. It is so difficult to lose a pet that has been part of the family for so long. Please know that you and your family are in my prayers.

-Lee-
  • catherine58
    catherine58 Member Posts: 92
    I know just how you feel. My West Highland terrier was my first baby (he was two years older than my son) and I was inconsolable when he died. It may seem difficult to contemplate, but getting another dog is probably the best way to get over your loss. I am getting a puppy in the autumn as a post-chemo present to myself and the children and I know it will be a real life-enhancer.

My thoughts are with you, Catherine
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Diane - I am so sorry. There is nothing like the love of a dog and I know how much losing one hurts.

I do agree with others that even though it is difficult to contemplate right now, getting a new dog is good therapy.

So sorry...
    Betsy
  • crg123
    crg123 Member Posts: 80
    Diane:
    I know the terrible pain you feel. In this world there are "dog people" and "non dog people". The "non" group will never experience the wonderful unconditional love, faithfulness, devotion, and sloppy poochie smoochies that we were blessed to have. Unfortunately, dog's lives are short, and there comes a time to say goodbye. This can tear a hole in our hearts. But with this pain, we can remember all the wonderful years we had (something the "non" group will never know.) Like the "Survivor Movie" says, "to enjoy the rainbows, we must endure the rain". I found the website http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm
    helpful when I lost my beloved Golden Retriever, Honey. And I agree with the other posts. After 2 months without Honey, we couldn't stand it anymore. We contacted the Golden Retriever Rescue and were blessed with Maddie. Life is good again! Although we will never forget Honey, our lives are rich with unconditional love again. God bless you!
    Peace,
    Cheryl
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Thank you all so much for your many kinds words and your expressions of sympathy. They do help and are sincerely appreciated. God Bless

Diane