nose bleeding

hoagiemom
hoagiemom Member Posts: 87 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I have a question has anyone had nose bleeding while going through chemo. I'm stage 3 with 2 nodes. I'm on my 4th treatment with oxy,leve,and 5fu. The last two treatments I notice blood when I blow my nose in the morning. It isn't like a bloody nose but any time I see blood lately I freak out now. I go to my onc on Monday but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Otherwise my side effect have been normal. Of course family members tell me it is dryness but I think they just want me not to freak out. Thanks Michelle

Comments

• marym29
    marym29 Member Posts: 71 Member
    Hi Michelle,
    My name is, Mary from WI, and I wanted to write to comfort you in saying YEP, YEP, YEP...

My mom (diagnosed 1/06 stage IV with mets to liver & lung) had the very same thing you are describing - blew her nose in the mornings and saw blood. We were told by her oncon. and nurses that it was indeed from the chemo so...

No need to worry anymore! ;) But I can totally relate to any "worry" you might experience during this journey; since it's all new to us, too!

Also, welcome to this online family! I truly do not know what I would do without these people!

Sincerely,
    Mary from WI
  • crg123
    crg123 Member Posts: 80
    Hey.......I'm a Stage III with one node! Had your same treatment! (FOLFOX) I had the exact same thing during my treatments. Just blood on the tissue when you blow your nose, right? I believe it has to do with the thrombocytopenia (lowering of platelet count). Mine liked to hover around the 100,000 range. (Normal = 150,000 to 400,000). At one point it dropped to 40,000. The only symptoms that I had were these "nosebleeds" as you describe them, and a slight tendency to bruise easily. Do you know what your count is? Hang in there! We're here for you!
    Peace!
    Cheryl
  • Limey
    Limey Member Posts: 446 Member
    I did the same treatment and it is the only time in my life I remember having a blody nose. I also had some cracking and bleeding from my fingers by my nail. Don't freak out, it comes with the combo of Avastin and the oxy I believe.

Another good tip that really hellped me with the cold sendations in my hands & feet was a friend made me a fleece 8x8 bag and filled with with white rice. 4 min in the microwave and it was such a relief. I used to heat it up at work and put my feet on it. Worked great.
    keep up the good work.
    Limey
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Yep, nose bleeds in the AM go with the chemo as well as hoarseness, sore or scratchy throat. I also had some bleeding from the gums when I brushed my teeth. I went to the dentist and he said that sometimes chemo tends to make you collect more tartar and plaque, thus irritating the gum tissue. Good cleanings are recommended sometimes every three months and remember to floss well.

Good luck.

Kerry
  • cahalstead
    cahalstead Member Posts: 118
    Same thing with me. The nasal membranes feel as if they are dry, thus the light bleed. I'm sure it's the same issue as with the mouth and digestive membrane issues, part of the chemo. I did buy a saline nasal spray and I use it all the time. I have it by my puter at work, here at home and I spray frequently. It really helps, doesn't eliminate it but makes it easier to deal with.

Hope this helps! So nice to be able to share our woes!!!
  • hoagiemom
    hoagiemom Member Posts: 87 Member
    kerry said:

Yep, nose bleeds in the AM go with the chemo as well as hoarseness, sore or scratchy throat. I also had some bleeding from the gums when I brushed my teeth. I went to the dentist and he said that sometimes chemo tends to make you collect more tartar and plaque, thus irritating the gum tissue. Good cleanings are recommended sometimes every three months and remember to floss well.

Good luck.

Kerry

Thank-you all. I watched the program living with cancer and all I could think of was having a spot on my brain. I knew I could count on this network to ease my worries. Thank-you again..
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Me, too! Me, too!!! Pick ME!!!

Yup, it's unanimous....

Hugs, kathi
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Yea, I have this. One thing that helps me: put a little vaseline inside your nose before you go to sleep at night.
  • sladich
    sladich Member Posts: 429 Member
    My nose would bleed all the time. I also mentioned it to my oncologist. It's from the 5FU. I use to get sores in my nose too! They were very painful and the sores continued after I was done with chemo.
  • Hatshepsut
    Hatshepsut Member Posts: 336 Member
    Michelle: My husband has had nose bleeds as well. A couple of the nose bleeds have been pretty dramatic. Usually, my husband's nose bleeds have followed vigorous nose blowing related to his allergies. Like others, we have found that vaseline is helpful to keep the nose moist. We've also found it helpful to have a plan to deal with nose bleeds. My husband immediately sits down and leans his head forward (to keep the blood from flowing down his throat). We put pressure on the nose by pinching the affected nostril and we sometimes use an ice pack. Hope this helps.

Hatshepsut
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    kerry said:

Good luck.

Kerry

If on Avastin, getting your teeth cleaned may be something to ask your onc about. Mine told me before I had surgery to get my teeth cleaned because I would have to wait to get it done again. Just check to be sure its ok.
    Jo Ann