Bloodwork / Liver Counts

nudgie
nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
BRIEF HISTORY: DX with Stage II (NO/MO)colon cancer in July 06. Finished FLOFOX treatment on 3 Nov 06. Had colon reconnection surgery on 27 Feb 07. First 3 month check-up CT Scan was on 22 Jan 07 - ALL CLEAR/NED along with good bloodwork results. CEA was 0.5. Don't know if my CEA is a good marker because I am 99% sure it was taken before my tumor was removed on 10 July 06 (emergency surgery).

SECOND 3 MONTH CHECK-UP: 16 April 07 had bloodwork drawn to determine whether another CT is needed. I am allergic to the contrast and need pre-meds. Received bloodwork results by phone and mail on 19 April 07. CEA is still 0.5, but my liver counts for some reason are high this time. These numbers are from the Comprehensive Metabolic Report:

AST - 92: Normal is 0-45 IU/L (WORRIED)
ALT - 210: Normal is 0-55 IU/L (WORRIED)
ALK Phosphatase - 59: Normal is 35-120 IU/L

My AST and ALT counts have never been this high even when going through chemo. They were always in the teens or low twenties. My husband thinks it is from all the antibotics I have been on since the 2nd surgery. I was on IV antibotics while in the hospital and then on Keflix 500mg twice daily (genetic brand for Keflix)starting on 9/10 March 07. Then found out I had a wound (incision) infection so I continued on the antibotics and then around 30 March 07 went back in hospital to re-open wound infection and drain. Started on Ampicillin 500 mg every 6 hours for about 2 weeks which I think I finished around 11/12 April 07 and had bloodwork on 16 April 07.

Call my Onc Doc's office after receiving the results by mail yesterday (19 April) to find out if it was from all the antibotics. Waiting on return call.

I am also going to get copies of my pre-op (23 Feb) bloodwork from the hospital to see what the numbers were BEFORE my 27 Feb 07 surgery and copies of bloodwork while in hospital (27 Feb - 6 Mar)to check numbers.

I do take Lipitor but have been for several years and did not receive high counts until now.

QUESTION: Has anyone else had numbers rise like this?

Comments

• spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Morning, nudgie -

My liver enzymes were always in the normal range but my lipids went through the roof. Our bodies react to so many different things in so many different ways. I know it'seasy for me to say, but try not to worry - remember: stress is the great cancer enabler.

Hang in there and keep us posted - get out and enjoy this amazing weather!

- SpongeBob
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    Nudgie: As SB said, try not to worry too much. I have multiple tumors on one lobe, and my liver tests have always been pretty good pre dx (they are now normal with chemo - go figure). I remember my onc telling me that someone went in with high figures, and it ended up he had had some wine the night before which affected his tests. Keep us posted on what your onc tells you, but I would guess another blood test could clear some things up. Monica
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Hello. This is very similiar to what we have experienced. My husband is just nearing the end of his chemo for stage 3. He has been on FOLFOX. After the 2nd or 3rd treatment, he also had very high liver counts. His counts were almost identical to yours. He has also been taking LIPITOR and has been for the last 3-4 years without any problems until now. Finally after much worry, we tried going off of the LIPITOR with the doctor's recomendation. After 1 month without LIPITOR, the liver levels are gradually going down and they are almost at normal range now. The doctor thinks it may have been the combination of chemo with the lipitor. The doctor thinks after chemo is finished he should be able to go back to the Lipitor, but I am a little reluctant about that. I would definately ask about going off Lipitor or try some other cholesterol medication and see if that helps. Please let me know what happens. I am very curious to see if that helps you also. It sounds like your other test results have been good, so try to concentrate on that. Keep us updated!!!!!
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member

Hello. This is very similiar to what we have experienced. My husband is just nearing the end of his chemo for stage 3. He has been on FOLFOX. After the 2nd or 3rd treatment, he also had very high liver counts. His counts were almost identical to yours. He has also been taking LIPITOR and has been for the last 3-4 years without any problems until now. Finally after much worry, we tried going off of the LIPITOR with the doctor's recomendation. After 1 month without LIPITOR, the liver levels are gradually going down and they are almost at normal range now. The doctor thinks it may have been the combination of chemo with the lipitor. The doctor thinks after chemo is finished he should be able to go back to the Lipitor, but I am a little reluctant about that. I would definately ask about going off Lipitor or try some other cholesterol medication and see if that helps. Please let me know what happens. I am very curious to see if that helps you also. It sounds like your other test results have been good, so try to concentrate on that. Keep us updated!!!!!

Ya know,for what it's worth, I was on Lipitor before I was diagnosed (hereditary cholesterol issues). I think a lot of my CRC symptoms were masked by the Lipitor. They told me I could go back on it once I finished chemo, but I refused to do so. Since then, I have controlled my cholestorol through diet (eating salmon oncea week, soy products, and cutting back on fats) and daily exercise. My cholesterol today is normal (albeit at the high end of the normal scale!).

You know, they do a liver function test on you before they put you on Lipitor because it is excreted through the liver - I have to wonder if that isn't skewing your numbers, nudgie.
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    spongebob said:

Ya know,for what it's worth, I was on Lipitor before I was diagnosed (hereditary cholesterol issues). I think a lot of my CRC symptoms were masked by the Lipitor. They told me I could go back on it once I finished chemo, but I refused to do so. Since then, I have controlled my cholestorol through diet (eating salmon oncea week, soy products, and cutting back on fats) and daily exercise. My cholesterol today is normal (albeit at the high end of the normal scale!).

You know, they do a liver function test on you before they put you on Lipitor because it is excreted through the liver - I have to wonder if that isn't skewing your numbers, nudgie.

Whats funny is that I have been Lipitor for several years and while taking FLOFOX and my numbers stayed in the teens and lower twenties. So it's kind of hard to think that all of sudden it would start affecting my liver, but you never know. I am going to check lab reports I had while in the hospital and before surgery to see what those were. If high, I will contact Primary Doc and Onc Doc and BELIEVE me I will get to the bottom of the issue.
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    nudgie said:

Whats funny is that I have been Lipitor for several years and while taking FLOFOX and my numbers stayed in the teens and lower twenties. So it's kind of hard to think that all of sudden it would start affecting my liver, but you never know. I am going to check lab reports I had while in the hospital and before surgery to see what those were. If high, I will contact Primary Doc and Onc Doc and BELIEVE me I will get to the bottom of the issue.

My husbands levels were very low also for the whole time that he was taking Lipitor before his CRC diagnosis. He went for years with good levels and they just went up in January.(Radiation and Chemo in OCT/Nov, and More Chemo in Jan)Good luck!
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    Since so many of the drugs pass through and are metabolized by the liver it may be the combination of what you have taken. If you are off meds for awhile it would be worthwhile to repeat the liver enzymes. They could well come down.

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    vinny3 said:

Since so many of the drugs pass through and are metabolized by the liver it may be the combination of what you have taken. If you are off meds for awhile it would be worthwhile to repeat the liver enzymes. They could well come down.

I agree with ****. My beau was on Lipitor....fine for awhile, then, because of a new med for his heart, his liver functions went CRAZY....could very well be you need to take a rest....your body chemistry is totally different than it was pre-breast....takes some time after treatment stops to get back on track...

Hugs, Kathi