Need Survivor Stories

jemy91
jemy91 Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My Dad was just diagnosed with colon cancer yesterday. He is having a very difficult time with this as he is also battling tongue cancer. I was hoping to get a bunch of survivors to tell me about their stage at dx and how long they have been cancer free /or battling this disese. I need him to see that this is not a death sentence. Any insight on things to do/not do during chemo and radiation would be greatly appreciated as well. I will be printing them out so he can see that you can fight this disease and win. I truly appreciate this.
Paula

Comments

• StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Hi Paula,

I am a stage 4 colon cancer survivor of just about 5.5 yrs. THERE IS HOPE!!! There are SO many survivor stories here, you have definitely come to the right place.

Tell your dad HE CAN BEAT THIS!!!!!

Hugs,

Stacy
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Paula,

I am a 42 year old wife and mother. My son is 23 years old and will soon be 24. I have been married to my wonderful husband for almost 25 years (Sept 24).

I had always had a p[roblem with consitpation throughout my life and saw a GI Doc several times regardling this issue, but he always stated more fiber would help. Current industry standards and studies indicate and state that a colonsocopy is not needed until age 50, but with people in our situation have to deal with the industry standard differently.

In late June early July 06 I began to have seriously consitpation issues, bloated stomach and could not go to the bathroom no matter what I used so on 5 July 06 I went to ER and they indicated I was consitpated and gave me several laxative methods to use, but around 1:00am on Saturday, 6 July I was back at the ER. This time they admitted me and it took them until Monday to determine what the problem was. It actually took a surgeon (wonderful man) to figure it out, so on Monday, 10 July 06 I had emergency surgery. The surgeon found a quarter size tumor on my sigmond colon and remove it along with 14 lymph nodes. The path report indicated the tumor was "moderatly" differential, Stage II, NO & MO which means NO = No lymph node involvement and MO = No signs of spreading. On 18 Aug 06 I began the FLOFOX regime of chemo which was given ever other week for 12 treatments or 6 months. I was also told by my surgeon and Onc Doc that this treatment was for insurance and precautionary measures. I had 6 out of the 12 treatments due to side effects. It was not a easy decision to stop the chemo but a decision I felt was right.

Chemo treats and affects each individual different because of our DNA make-up. Some people have no issues with chemo while others can have every side effect known.

My first CT Scan after chemo and first surgery came back ALL CLEAR (22 Jan 07). My next 3 month check-up is 17 April 07.

Believe me, you will find MANY survior stories here. There are seeral Stage IV survior stories. Treatment has come along away in the past 5 years. From what I read, they did not give chemo or radiation to Stage I or II 5 years ago. Now they recommend treatment.

What would really help your Dad right now is the support and love from family, friends, community and church.

May God give you and your father the strength and guidance you are seeking.
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
  • chynabear
    chynabear Member Posts: 481 Member
    Paula,

Your family is in my prayers as your dad begins a new battle. I can't imagine how overwhelmed he must feel, but he can get through this.

I was diagnosed 10/04 with Stage III Colon cancer with 1 positive node involved started by a juvenile polyp. Surgery removed all cancer and I completed six months of Folfox for insurance. I have been free from cancer since (take your pick) my surgery date of 10/04 (my pick) or my chemo completion date of 04/05.

Patricia
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Hi Paula,

There are many many survivors here. I too am a stage IV survivor currently NED (no evidence of disease). If you want to know my specifics, check out my personal web page on this site. While there, you can read about many other colorectal survivors!!!!

Lisa P.

FYI. I was given 2-3 years to live on this date in 2004 and am doing great today......
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Paula,

I was diagnosed stage 3, and with a recurrance restaged to stage 4. I've been battling my disease for 4 years and my last scan show NED (no evidence of disease). It is not easy, but can be done. Attitude and a fighting spirit will help.

My best to you and your dad.

Kerry
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Hi Paula,

Your father is so fortunate to have you being by side as his advocate. My stage 3 sigmoid cancer was found in October of 2003. It was classified as very aggressive and I received 12 round of chemo. All follow up scans have shown me to be cancer free. Please know we are with you and your father as he fights this disease. He can win!

Hugs,

Kay
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Hi Paula -

Your Dad is lucky to have your support.

Please tell him there is much hope. I was diagnosed with Stage IV in late May 2005, had surgery and then 6 cycles of chemo. I've been NED (no evidence of disease) ever since completing my second chemo cycle at the end of August 2005.

Wishing the best for you and your Dad,
    Betsy
  • Lisa Rose
    Lisa Rose Member Posts: 598 Member

Hi Paula -

Your Dad is lucky to have your support.

Please tell him there is much hope. I was diagnosed with Stage IV in late May 2005, had surgery and then 6 cycles of chemo. I've been NED (no evidence of disease) ever since completing my second chemo cycle at the end of August 2005.

Wishing the best for you and your Dad,
    Betsy

Hi Paula,

Lisa Rose here I had my surgery March 20,2002. Diagnosis stage 3 rectal cancer with 10 positive lymph nodes. Five years later all clear. . .

Have Faith

Lisa
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Hi Paula,
    I am also a Stage IV survivor, 2.5 years NED. I was diagnosed at the age of 31 with Stage III, one polyp in my Sigmoid colon, 1cm in size. I had a few (can't remember 2? 4?) positive lymph nodes. I had chemo 2x, once after colon resection and once after a met was found in my liver. I also had surgery after 2 mets were found in my lung. That was 2 1/2 years ago! I have survived 5 years this month and I will be 37 in May!~
    What helped me? Exercise! Reevaluating my eating habits, I now avoid sugar as much as possible (although I do occasionally have something w/ sugar in it, but rarely). I try to eat more fruits and vegetables and have recently been juicing fruits and veggies.
    During my treatments and still today I consult with a Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.) who deals with cancer patients. I am on a variety of vitamins and supplements.
    I also had to change my attitude. I try not to hold on to resentments, anger, and let the little things go. This of course is a work in progress. I try to enjoy each day and appreciate the beauty in this world.
    I hope that helps. Your father has a very good prognosis, but these are things everyone can work on regardless of whether they have had cancer or not.
    Best wishes,
    Susan H.
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Please read the article below under " I couldn't have said it better.."
    by 2bhealed. There you will find a lot of helpful info. for your dad,
    Susan
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Paula, I have a suggestion for you. Go back a few pages of posts and review Nanuk's post Calling all IV's and read the many survivors stories there. There was also a post done calling all Stage III's .There is much encouragement and hope and good people here who will give much support. God Bless.
  • alta29
    alta29 Member Posts: 435 Member
    Stage IV...dx 1/21/05....recurrance 5 months ago...more chemo/ avastin...its working..ct 3 weeks ago..no new tumors..one shrinking..other one growing a little bit....surgery to remove tumors in a month...can't wait to meet NED again....I have also changed my diet...avoid sugar and NO red meat at all...bunch of vitamins/meditation/vizualization...avoid negative energy/people/tv/...be happy...enjoy little things
  • jana11
    jana11 Member Posts: 705
    I was diagnosed 10/02 with stage 3. I had 3 positive lymph nodes. I am now stage 4 (unfortunately), but keep on chugging. I am on chemo and just started radiation for a darned bone met that was irritating a nerve. I have mets to my lungs and bones. BUT.. I worked through all my treatments and only stopped last July because we moved for my hubbie's job. YOU CAN DO IT. I still go to the gym, try to eat right (no meat or poultry and load of vitamins.) In general, I feel great. I get chemo on Mondays and then feel really good for the weekend.

Do NOT dispair. Keep wonderful people around you, like your caring daughter and fight the good fight. :)

Don't let cancer take your life... live it up and enjoy all things. jana