tamoxifen causes weight gain?

Options
daughter24
daughter24 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i'm just trying to learn about the different treatments and medications involved with cancer. have any of you had to take this medication and what was your experience? i know everyone is different but i'd love to hear about your experiences. also is there anything better than tamoxifen or instead of tamoxifen?

keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

enjoy your day and god bless

thank you in advance

Comments

• babs49242
    babs49242 Member Posts: 193
    Options
    Daughter24:
    I just rec'd in the mail a newsletter you may find helpful. You can also go on-line to view it. www.y-me.org there are some interesting article(s) aboutPopluar options for complementary therapies. Just thought I'd pass that on..
    have a good weekend.
    bunches of hugs
    Cindie
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I decided I was going to lose weight and get down to 118 after eating my way to 138. I started the diet when I started tamoxifen and lost the weight from December to June. My oncologist pointed out that some body builders buy tamoxifen illegally. They wouldn't be abusing the drug if they thought it would make them fat! The research is mixed, but I found articles that backed him up.
    As for something better than tamoxifen, that depends on your particular cancer and your time of life. Stuff like exemestane (one of three aromatase inhibitors) is more sucessful in reducing cancer reoccurance than tamoxifen, but it can only be given to women whose ovaries have quit working. This can happen naturally after menopause, chemically for the short-term (explore lupron) and surgically (an oopherectomy). Tamoxifen builds bone and reduces cholesterol while aromatase inhibitors decrease bone and may increase cholesterol. Tamoxifen may increase risks of blood clots and uterine cancer. Both cause hot flashes. My joints ache some on exemestane, but not too much if I stay active. My ovaries kept developing cysts on tamoxifen and they finally had to go to prove I didn't have ovarian cancer on top of breast cancer. So it is better at fighting cancer but you still have to decide if it is right for you.
  • poobah1941
    poobah1941 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    cabbott said:

I decided I was going to lose weight and get down to 118 after eating my way to 138. I started the diet when I started tamoxifen and lost the weight from December to June. My oncologist pointed out that some body builders buy tamoxifen illegally. They wouldn't be abusing the drug if they thought it would make them fat! The research is mixed, but I found articles that backed him up.
    As for something better than tamoxifen, that depends on your particular cancer and your time of life. Stuff like exemestane (one of three aromatase inhibitors) is more sucessful in reducing cancer reoccurance than tamoxifen, but it can only be given to women whose ovaries have quit working. This can happen naturally after menopause, chemically for the short-term (explore lupron) and surgically (an oopherectomy). Tamoxifen builds bone and reduces cholesterol while aromatase inhibitors decrease bone and may increase cholesterol. Tamoxifen may increase risks of blood clots and uterine cancer. Both cause hot flashes. My joints ache some on exemestane, but not too much if I stay active. My ovaries kept developing cysts on tamoxifen and they finally had to go to prove I didn't have ovarian cancer on top of breast cancer. So it is better at fighting cancer but you still have to decide if it is right for you.

I second the reply on aromatase inhibitors. If you are post menopausal they do a better job than Tamoxifen. All of these drugs have side-effects - aromatase inhibitors cause bone pain. Incidentally, they all cause weight gain if you are not on a careful diet and exercise program.