Anyone putting off non cancerous medical procedures?

jams67
jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Does anyone else put off non cancerous medical procedures? If I have a wart on the end of my nose for example, I will put off going to see about it until I have my CT scan. I want to be sure I'm still NED before I go to the trouble of having it removed. That is just one example. I think I'm adjusting very well after kicking the beast out of my body, but I will always worry that he might come back for a visit. I feel less anxious as time goes by, but I'm not sure that this feeling will ever change. I'll probably die from the wart.
Ha, Jo Ann

Comments

• chynabear
    chynabear Member Posts: 481 Member
    LOL Jo Ann,

I put off going to the doctor (or dentist for that matter)! I think mine has more do with with the fact that I have always hated going to the doctor and now I have been forced to go multiple times a year for the last 4 years. I'm sick of seeing doctors! :D

On the other hand, I do go to my annual exam. I know how you feel though about worrying that the beast can still turn up. I just tell myself that if he does, then we will fight and win again. The cards are in my favor this time around because I am being screened every four months. It's funny, though, because I always look first to see if something wrong with me can be cancerous.

Tricia
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    I put off going to the dentist for the past year while having surgery and then chemo. Just didn't feel like having anyone else mess with me. Now on vacation I broke off part of a tooth so it will be back to the dentist shortly.

• HowardJ
    HowardJ Member Posts: 474
    Do what you feel comfortable with when it comes to elective procedures. However, some people with cancer seem to put off other medical visits, check-ups, etc. It's important to not forget the other stuff as well (you don't want to kick cancer and sucumb to heart disease).
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    I'm in the midst of chemo now. My goal, between treatments, is to have as many days as possible with "no contact with the medical profession". The other day I even postponed taking my dog to the vet! And, no plastic surgery in my future: there is no way I will ever have "elective" surgery -- or even an injection! ha ha