Ultrasensitive PSA levels post surgery

RLR64
RLR64 Member Posts: 23
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Posted in November: My husband had a RP in June and results of his PSA were 0.02 then 0.00 3 months ago. Waited the 3 months and it is at 0.04 today. The doctor recommended waiting 2 weeks and repeating the PSA and if it is still up moving on to radiation (5 weeks). Why the wait? I mean if it is up why would 2 weeks make a difference? The way I understand it ...nothing else makes PSA so why not just plan and initiate radiation right away? Anyone that can shed some light on this please do! Thanks in advance! (My husband is 55 and had a Gleason 7 4+3 aggressive cancer.) His whole family has prostate cancer, it seems!

Comments

• RLR64
    Newest results:(Couldn't figure out how to bump the thread from November so I posted both here now)My husband's PSA was back down to 0.02 in the two weeks, then in 6 weeks after that it was at 0.03. We waited two months this time and it will be due in March. So...it was 0.02 6 weeks after surgery..then at 6 week intervals (mostly) 0.02, 0.03, 0.04, 0.02, then 0.03. The Urologist feels that there is certainly "something there" but is waiting to see a "trend". I agree that we should be waiting for that trend. It could be benign prostate tissue left behind or cancer cells but I don't see how we can do anything but watch and wait on a trend. These are all ultrasensitive tests done at the same lab. Our Urologist insists they should be 0.00. Any insight or similar situations?
  • kalar7856
    kalar7856 Member Posts: 35
    RLR64 said:

Newest results:(Couldn't figure out how to bump the thread from November so I posted both here now)My husband's PSA was back down to 0.02 in the two weeks, then in 6 weeks after that it was at 0.03. We waited two months this time and it will be due in March. So...it was 0.02 6 weeks after surgery..then at 6 week intervals (mostly) 0.02, 0.03, 0.04, 0.02, then 0.03. The Urologist feels that there is certainly "something there" but is waiting to see a "trend". I agree that we should be waiting for that trend. It could be benign prostate tissue left behind or cancer cells but I don't see how we can do anything but watch and wait on a trend. These are all ultrasensitive tests done at the same lab. Our Urologist insists they should be 0.00. Any insight or similar situations?

Hi,

The PSA can be affected by things other than the cancer. Another infection can raise the PSA numbers.

This test is an art not a science. How fustrating for you both! Science is on the cusp of identify blood markers that will be more accurate. Probably in less than 5 years..

Best wishes,
    Kalar7856
  • RLR64
    kalar7856 said:

Hi,

The PSA can be affected by things other than the cancer. Another infection can raise the PSA numbers.

This test is an art not a science. How fustrating for you both! Science is on the cusp of identify blood markers that will be more accurate. Probably in less than 5 years..

Best wishes,
    Kalar7856

Newest PSA results are 0.06 and if it goes up again in May Urologist wants to do a round of radiation since DH had positive surgical margins. This is the highest it has ever been since the RP but it waviers all over the place...