Eye Problems

AnnieM939
AnnieM939 Member Posts: 38
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I had posted something earlier about issues with my eyes but I can't find it so started a new post. After 8 cycles of treatment (5-FU/Avastin/ Oxalipatin/Leucovorin) I had some pretty bad burning and drying of my eyes. Of course, I attributed that to chemo drying the membranes, etc. Well yesterday, my eye doctor confirmed that and my eyes are fine. He gave me some Alcon Systane eye drops and boy do they do the trick. Just thought I would post this in case anyone else runs into the eye problems.

I pray for all of us.

Annie

Comments

• spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Thanks, Annie -

I had some eye problems during chemo, too. My onc and my eye doc told me that it can be a side-effect. My eyes got pretty dry, but it came in handy when I watched Forrest Gump, for once I didn't cry at the end!

(not that a big, burly sailor guy would ever cry, I'm just saying....)
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    I had the same problem and the Systane helped me too, however the problem has been ongoing. I think any kind of air movement makes it worse, and my allergies aggravate it also. When the heat is not coming on and there are no fans on, it seems better. I have gradually seen some progress since I stopped chemo a year ago, but it has been slow. There is one Systane that doesn't contain preservatives, and I like it best.

I keep one in my purse and the other in my makeup drawer.
    Jo Ann
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    Annie: thanks for sharing; I assume this is Rx?
  • AnnieM939
    AnnieM939 Member Posts: 38
    nanuk said:

Annie: thanks for sharing; I assume this is Rx?

Actually, the Alcon Systane is Over the Counter but a small bottle of eye drops did cost me $18.00!! But, it is helping.

Annie