update - good news

impactzone
impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello all,
Yesterday I went to Stanford to meet with both surgeon and oncologist. They were there to read the scans (PET and CT) and look at all data. All went very well. The liver tumor has shrunk more than 50% from the start. Long story short.... GREAT NEWS. This is interpreted as the chemo is working and probably taking care of any smaller micromets. The tumor did not even light up on the PET. While this is unusual it does occur. The PET scan has me injected with radioactive glucose and then "resting" 45 min. in a big tube while a non human voice tells me to breath in and out, hold your breath.... Obviously this machine was designed by deep sea divers as some of the hold your breaths had me turning almost blue.... The interpretation of the tumor not showing up on PET ranges from nothing to good. Because it did show up once before, it is "probable" that the chemo killed many of the cells (if not all) and the glucose uptake can not be seen. Long story short... GREAT NEWS....

Because all looks good...no new metastases showing, the pulmonary embolism in the lung clear and shrinking tumor... I now have liver surgery scheduled for the 28th of Feb. at Stanford. They anticipate surgery on Wed and get out of the hospital on that Sunday. They think 4 - 6 weeks for recovery. This surgery is to take out the tumor and do an interoperational ultrasound to "burn out" with an electric probe any smaller questionable areas.

Weight, blood work, and physical all look good and the Dr even called me "lean", first time that word was ever used in a sentence with me. Long story short .... GREAT NEWS....

I am relieved and grateful for the great work, prayers, kindness that everyone has put in for myself and my family. I walked out of the hospital under overcast skies at 4:00 pm and just let out a great big yell. It felt so good.

The Dr.'s said now you need to get strong, eat well, rest, exercise gradually and build your immune system back up. Hopefully, I will be back on Monday at work. All my best, love and respect
Impactzone

Comments

• alta29
    alta29 Member Posts: 435 Member
    Love good news !!!!!!!
  • mtpat7
    mtpat7 Member Posts: 20
    I'm new on this board, but wanted to say "Congratulations!" on your tests.It's very uplifting to have someone write in with good news. We need more of that...more hope.
    All of you are in my prayers. Best wishes to you impactzone!
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    Congratulations!!! This is WONDERFUL NEWS!!! You will be in my prayers for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery. Monica
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    That's wonderful news. Here's to a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

• betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Congratulation for the great news, you will be in my prayers.
  • hopefulone
    hopefulone Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    That is terrific news! and it gives me great hope for my hubby. Please keep us posted. God Bless
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Thank you for taking the time to update us with your GREAT NEWS!!! And as far as your big yell outside, there have also been reports of naked dancing and running naked in the rain for the very same reasons. Cancer is funny that way!!! lol

Best wishes for a happy journey ahead! Glad the chemo was so instrumental in the shrinking of the tumor!!

Stacy
  • katefm
    katefm Member Posts: 112 Member
    Yee haw! That is great news! I love to see positive stories - especially the Stage IVs kicking it's #$%! Congratulations!

Keep us posted - we'll be praying for you until surgery.

Kate
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    vinny3 said:

That's wonderful news. Here's to a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

WOW! I'll drink to that too! jams
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Impactzone -

Congrats on your good news - WONDERFUL!

Wishing you much continued victory in your fight against the dragon.

Best regards

- SpongeBob
  • JADot
    JADot Member Posts: 709 Member
    Congrats on so much good news. They are so good at Stanford and I am sure they'll take really good care of you.

Cheers,
    Ying
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Great news and your spirit shines through your post! I don't think you could have gotten a better report! Now, my best healing wishes for the 28th.

Hugs,

Kay
  • pink05
    pink05 Member Posts: 550
    Impact,

That is great news!!! I am so happy to hear this. Thank you for sharing the news with us. Keeping you in my prayers for a successful surgery.

-Lee-