Update on my sister

Patrusha
Patrusha Member Posts: 487
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Several weeks ago my sister had a chest Xray and the docs spotted several nodules. She had had a chest Xray three years prior and there were NO nodules at that time. So a couple weeks ago they did a CAT scan.

She finally got the results.... There were several 6 cm nodules the doctors said were calcified (not cancer). But there are several 4 cm nodules that are not calcified.

The plan is to go through the brachea and sample one of the suspicious nodules this Thursday and on Friday she'll meet with a pulmonary doctor to get the results. She also was told that the Xray three years ago showed she had emphesema. She forgot about that.

Anybody know much about lung nodules in a person with emphysema? Could these nodules be due to that?

I REFUSE to sweat about this until next Friday, keeping in mind my mother's old adage: No News is Good News. My sister, too, is keeping this under wraps from the rest of the family and has a "let's just wait and see" attitude.

Please pray for a good outcome.

Comments

• lynn1222
    lynn1222 Member Posts: 105
    i have had several lung nodules but mine were mets from colon cancer. i hope your sisters is not this. i will be praying for you and way to stay positive. god bless you and your sister
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    lynn1222 said:

i have had several lung nodules but mine were mets from colon cancer. i hope your sisters is not this. i will be praying for you and way to stay positive. god bless you and your sister

I have had multiple bilateral mets for over 5 yrs;
    last year a Dr. mentioned that I have Emphysema-no one else has ever mentioned it..I don't think they are related.
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    I have had small lung met twice. However, in the process of investigation my most recent one, I learned a lot about lung nodules -- they can certainly be many things which are NOT cancer. Indeed, some people believe a fair percentage of the normal population is walking around with the odd nodule or two, without anyone knowing. So, I agree with your attitude -- "feed the faith; starve the fear". I hope the test this next week gives you good information. Unfortunately, for me, the bronchoscopy wasn't so useful as the nodule couldn't be easily accessed through the bronchea (sp?). Best wishes.
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    I have several lung nodes that have been stable for over two and a half years. The largest one was biopsied and found to be a hamartoma, which is something benign. Some of the others are calcified and some are not. My oncologist keeps a watch on them. Please keep us posted.

Hugs,

Kay
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Hi Patrusha, so sorry that you have to be worrying now for your sister, the only thing I can do for you now is sending her my best thoughts, and my prayers, hopefully everything will be allright,big hug for you.
  • Patrusha
    lynn1222 said:

She recently had a colonoscopy and had one benign polyp. So it isn't from colon cancer. It's a mystery at this point.
  • Patrusha
    betina61 said:

Hi Patrusha, so sorry that you have to be worrying now for your sister, the only thing I can do for you now is sending her my best thoughts, and my prayers, hopefully everything will be allright,big hug for you.

Thanks, Betina. Keep the prayers going. I am not worrying, I am not worrying, I am not worrying (OKAY I am worrying, a little). I just hate the thought of seeing another one of my sisters having any type of cancer (one sister died of lung cancer five years ago). She started down this trek of medical tests because of bloating and abdominal pain. They've done upper and lower GIs, colonoscopy, and chest Xrays and now chest CT Scan. So far they've found nothing except these nodules in her lungs. Hopefully it is nothing.

How are you doing these days? You must almost be done with chemo, right?
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Patrusha said:

Thanks, Betina. Keep the prayers going. I am not worrying, I am not worrying, I am not worrying (OKAY I am worrying, a little). I just hate the thought of seeing another one of my sisters having any type of cancer (one sister died of lung cancer five years ago). She started down this trek of medical tests because of bloating and abdominal pain. They've done upper and lower GIs, colonoscopy, and chest Xrays and now chest CT Scan. So far they've found nothing except these nodules in her lungs. Hopefully it is nothing.

How are you doing these days? You must almost be done with chemo, right?

Yes Patrusha, I finished my 12 cycle this week, now I have the appt with the onc. next weds. and we will schedule the scans and colonoscopy, so pretty soon I will be needing all the prayers of this my new family.