SMALL CELL

lisabeth23
lisabeth23 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
HI..IM NEW HERE, MY FATHER HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH SMALL CELL LUNG CANCER. IF SOMEONE CAN PLEASE WRITE ME BACK IF THEY ARE LIVING WITH THIS. MY FAMILY AND I DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE DISEASE AND ARE VERY DEPRESSED. WE ARE TRYING TO KEEP HIS SPIRITS UP, BUT MY FATHER DOES NOT WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING. ANYONE WITH ANY ADVICE OR STORIES PLEASE WRITE ME BACK.LISA

Comments

• LisaAnn33
    LisaAnn33 Member Posts: 8
    My mom has small cell lung cancer too. She was diagnosed in Sept of 06. She had a 10 centimeter tumor in her left lung. Chemo shrank it to 3.5.

She is very weak. Before chemo she was weak but still self sufficient. Driving was becoming hard. After 5 cycles of chemo she is always in the bed.

When she was first diagnosed, I was in complete shock, felt helpless and scared for her. I think my world was encased in fog for about a good month. The fog has cleared, and I can look at the situation and accept it for what it is. I have no choice. All I can say is hang in there.
  • Plymouthean
    Plymouthean Member Posts: 262
    Hi Lisa.
    I'm sorry to her that your father has been diagnosed with small cell lung cancer.
    I am a survivor of non-small cell lung cancer, and I have no direct experience with SCLC.
    However, I feel that I can speak to the basic situation in which you, your family and your dad find yourselves.
    First, the last paragraph of LisaAnn33's post says volumes. It describes just about everyone's first reaction to cancer diagnosis.
    Your dad's attitude is not uncommon. All patients react to diagnosis in their own way. He will come to realize that cancer is a word, - not a sentence. Be patient with him. He's in the fight of his life, and he is, in all probability, scared. (How can he admit that to his family, who he has raised and protected all these years?) For now, just let him know that you are there, and that you love him. Let him handle his emotions. I, like many others here, was initially diagnosed as incurable/inoperable. Well, here I am, over five years later, lung cancer free! (you can read my personal web page at "Grateful Survivor")
    Your (and your family's) first mission is to become objective, and begin to learn as much as possible about SCLC. The better informed you are, the better decisions you can help your dad make about treatment, etc. Also, research and learning will occupy your mind in a positive way. Fretting, worry and self-pity are totally non-productive. Don't fall into that trap.
    One word of caution. Pay NO attention to statistics. Statistics are based on history. History is yesterday. The future is tomorrow, - and, to my knowledge, no one can tell us what tomorrow hold in store for us. (Have you ever seen a newspaper headline that said "Psychic Wins Lottery"?) If there is a certain percent chance of beating the disease, that means that SOMEONE has to make up that certain percent, whatever it is. Why not your dad? I tell that to many people, and it proves true. A positive attitude is most important in this fight. That won't be easy, - but it's essential. Ya gotta believe!
    "Ernrol" (the other Ernie - yup, your luck, there's two of us!) will probably post here, also. He always tells us that "there's no cancer that hasn't been beaten". He has valuable information too, as do many others here.
    Best wishes and prayers to your dad, you and your family.
    Please keep us posted.
    Ernie
  • handle
    handle Member Posts: 31 Member
    Hi lisabeth, I have small cell lung cancer, I am going today for my ct-scan. I am going to be a survivor for five years this february. I am inoperable, had four different chemo's and radiaation to chest, side and back. I am doing well. I am not cured ,the tumor is still present, just inactive( thank God), I am 55 years old , was given a prognosis of 5% chance of survival for six month,"don't and I mean don't"listen to the damn statistics. Just be there for your father and if he wants to talk I would be glad to help in any way. God Bless Mike, I am sorry for being so short , but I have my five year ct-scan today in one and a half hours and getting ready, He will beat this. Mike