Has anyone had their ovaries removed?

Options
karenack
karenack Member Posts: 90
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have to have my ovaries removed as my final step in my bc treatment plan. Has anyone had the surgery? Could you tell me how they did it, (lap), how was your recovery and did they do it outpatient? I'm more concerned about this procedure than radiation. Thanks for your help!

Karen

Comments

• kathydaly
    kathydaly Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi Karen,

Yes, I think you know I did, and yes it was done lap. It was same day surgery. I barely remember it, it was so relaxing a situation and it was done by the head GYN at Sloan, who i hade for a doctor for yrs already, thus the relaxed part and the meds, lol, let's see it was, 100,9... gone. He put in some netting for something to do with the lap. I can't remember.

OK, here's the deal, recovery , FOR ME, was not a breeze, lot's of discomfort and bed rest for several weeks. I just don't do recovery that well. But, surgery was a breeze!

So, just plan for some time off and some help I hope!

Prayers and Huggs, Kathy
  • OregonSeaStar
    OregonSeaStar Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi Karen - Yes, I had the surgery done in 1997. This was long before I had breast cancer; it was done as a preventative precaution because both my mother and my oldest daughter had ovarian cancer. I had to have 4(!) 'second opinions' before my insurance would pay for it. All 4 gyn/oncs said the same thing: get them out immediately because it was a matter of WHEN I'd get ovarian cancer, not IF.

My surgery was not done with a lap procedure; rather, a long incision from just below the bellybutton to my pubic bone. The reason for this is because the surgeon wanted to take a good, careful look around inside to make sure I was free of any signs of cancer in the area.

Because of the long incision, recovery was a little slower and more difficult than I expected. I remember that going up and down stairs was a problem for the first 2 weeks (my bedroom was upstairs . . . . so I slept on the couch downstairs for that period). I also remember that because of pain meds (DO take them) and very sore abdomenal muscles, constipation was a
    problem. Stool softeners help this tremendously.

I'm sure that having your ovaries removed via a lap procedure will eliminate a lot of the discomfort I mentioned above. Expect, though, to go through a period of some intense hot flashes if you haven't gone through menopause yet. There may be some products available to help with this . . . . .ask your oncologist before surgery so that you can be prepared when you get home to start on things that may help.

Good luck to you! Let us know when you are having the procedure done . . . . and how you are doing.

-shelley
  • karenack
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for sharing your experiences. I'm not sure if they will do it laproscopically or not. I remember when I had my hysterectomy in '02 they did it laprascopically and it still took me several weeks before I could try to resume some of my activities. Kathy, I am lucky to have the greatest husband in the world. We have only been married two years and I don't know what I would have done if he hadn't been there to help me!! I will have the surgery mid to late February, as soon as I am finished with rads. Shelley, the chemo has caused my ovaries to stop functioning, so I am getting those wonderful hot flashes already. Lots of fun! Happy New Year Kathy and Shelley!
  • LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options
    karenack said:

Thanks to both of you for sharing your experiences. I'm not sure if they will do it laproscopically or not. I remember when I had my hysterectomy in '02 they did it laprascopically and it still took me several weeks before I could try to resume some of my activities. Kathy, I am lucky to have the greatest husband in the world. We have only been married two years and I don't know what I would have done if he hadn't been there to help me!! I will have the surgery mid to late February, as soon as I am finished with rads. Shelley, the chemo has caused my ovaries to stop functioning, so I am getting those wonderful hot flashes already. Lots of fun! Happy New Year Kathy and Shelley!

I did not have my ovaries removed, but that was going to be the next step if chemo did not send me into chemopause - which it did. I have just been reading about the survival advantage of having your ovaries removed for women who are pre-menopausal.

Hope it all goes well.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    karenack said:

There are so many ways to take out ovaries these days and it sounds like you may get to choose. I had the subcervical hysterectomy and oopherectomy with a 3 inch horizontal scar just above the pubic bone. That was because I was having some persistant cysts that may have been ovarian cancer and my oncologist wanted to take a really good look around without damaging too much if nothing was wrong. He could have done it vaginally or laproscopically. No muscles were cut, just stretched apart and I only needed minimal pain meds (mostly Tylenol took care of it). I was inconvinced by a 3 day stay in the hospital till the plumbing was working, the 1 month period of no driving and I wasn't allowed to lift the laundry basket for the same period (one good perk of surgery!), but that was about it. Mind you, I had a hysterectomy at the same time. They tell me that laproscopic surgery, even including a hysterectomy, is just day surgery, scarring is minimal, and down-time is negligible. The big reason not to do operations laproscopically is usually that they need to take a better look around because of worrisome symptoms, but usually a laproscopic operation done by an expert is easier on the body and pocketbook. Another good thing about having the ovaries out is that it makes you eligible for exemestane or another estrogen inhibitor. They have their lovely side effects too, but seem to work even better than tamoxifen at keeping the cancer at bay. Good luck!
  • epgnyc
    epgnyc Member Posts: 137
    Options
    You posted 5 days ago, so I hope you're still reading the replies to your question. I had my ovaries out 4 years ago via laporoscopy. Tests showed I had growths on both ovaries and because my sister had had ovarian cancer, they had to come out. They discovered the ovarian tumors (thankfully they turned out to be benign) two weeks before my breast cancer was diagnosed, so I ended up having the bilateral oopherectomy at the same time that I had a re-excision for the breast cancer. The surgery wasn't a problem at all and my recovery was quick too. I had a couple of days where it wasn't easy getting out of bed, but three days after surgery I went out to dinner! If you have a choice, I'd definitely go with a laporoscopy because it's so minimally invasive. Good luck and I hope you have an easy time of it as I did.
  • karenack
    Options
    epgnyc said:

You posted 5 days ago, so I hope you're still reading the replies to your question. I had my ovaries out 4 years ago via laporoscopy. Tests showed I had growths on both ovaries and because my sister had had ovarian cancer, they had to come out. They discovered the ovarian tumors (thankfully they turned out to be benign) two weeks before my breast cancer was diagnosed, so I ended up having the bilateral oopherectomy at the same time that I had a re-excision for the breast cancer. The surgery wasn't a problem at all and my recovery was quick too. I had a couple of days where it wasn't easy getting out of bed, but three days after surgery I went out to dinner! If you have a choice, I'd definitely go with a laporoscopy because it's so minimally invasive. Good luck and I hope you have an easy time of it as I did.

Thank you "epgnyc" for sharing your experience. I am hopeful that I will be able to have my surgery laproscopically as well. It sounds so much easier and I am glad to hear that you were able to return to some normal activities so soon! Thanks!