HIP PAIN

concernedson
concernedson Member Posts: 23
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I know I have been asking a lot questions with regards to pc. I just want to ask one more. As you know my fathers PSA =6 and Gleason 3+3 = 6. The doctor stated that it was only detected through the biopsy. However, my father is having hip pain. Does that mean it has spread beyond the prostate. That is what the prostate cancer websites list as a symptom that the cancer has spread beyond the prostate. Does any one have any information for me. Has any one had hip pain and was diagnosed with localized pc. Thanks you are all very helpful.

Comments

• rogermoore
    rogermoore Member Posts: 264 Member
    Concerned,

At this point I would not borrow trouble. It might be a good idea to suggest to your Father's doctor that you would like to have a bone scan performed. Yes, it can sometimes be a symptom, but if the gleason was 3+3 and the physician indicated a "slow-growing" type he probably does not suspect that it has spread.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Roger
  • stuart
    stuart Member Posts: 88
    As Rogermoore indicated a bone scan would be the next step...The hip pain may be related to arthritis...Has he had the pain in the past?...Also he may need a CT scan of the hips...I had both a bone scan and CT scan...
  • concernedson

Concerned,

At this point I would not borrow trouble. It might be a good idea to suggest to your Father's doctor that you would like to have a bone scan performed. Yes, it can sometimes be a symptom, but if the gleason was 3+3 and the physician indicated a "slow-growing" type he probably does not suspect that it has spread.

Roger

Thanks for your response. He has taken full blood work and we are waiting for the results. In addition, he is scheduled for a bone scan on monday. I am unaware if he has had this pain the past. He recently went for a full physical in May 06 prior to being diagnosed in Dec 06. All blood works came back negative and his psa ranged between 2-3. In September 05 as his prostate was enlarged the doctor did surgeory to shink the prostate. In Dec 01 he had a biopsy done and it came back negative. Besides the PC my father is a very health man. However, when somthing like this happens you start to look at every symptom. Can you guys recommend any hospital, procedure, or surgeon. Was your PC'S localized. Thanks.
  • rogermoore
    rogermoore Member Posts: 264 Member

Thanks for your response. He has taken full blood work and we are waiting for the results. In addition, he is scheduled for a bone scan on monday. I am unaware if he has had this pain the past. He recently went for a full physical in May 06 prior to being diagnosed in Dec 06. All blood works came back negative and his psa ranged between 2-3. In September 05 as his prostate was enlarged the doctor did surgeory to shink the prostate. In Dec 01 he had a biopsy done and it came back negative. Besides the PC my father is a very health man. However, when somthing like this happens you start to look at every symptom. Can you guys recommend any hospital, procedure, or surgeon. Was your PC'S localized. Thanks.

Concerned,

What area of the country do you live in? I'm sure that once that is known you will receive several recommendations on Surgeons and Hospitals.

As for the treatment, there are several options. Surgery? More than one type i.e. Conventional, retro-pubic, etc., Robotic, DaVinci, etc.

In addition to surgery, there is the radiation seed implants, and also hormonal therapy and external beam radiation.

The patients age, general health, stature, all have an impact on which treatment option is most desirable.

Don't know if I helped. Feel free to e-mail me through this site with any questions you are hesitant to post.

Best of luck,

Roger
  • concernedson

Concerned,

What area of the country do you live in? I'm sure that once that is known you will receive several recommendations on Surgeons and Hospitals.

As for the treatment, there are several options. Surgery? More than one type i.e. Conventional, retro-pubic, etc., Robotic, DaVinci, etc.

In addition to surgery, there is the radiation seed implants, and also hormonal therapy and external beam radiation.

The patients age, general health, stature, all have an impact on which treatment option is most desirable.

Don't know if I helped. Feel free to e-mail me through this site with any questions you are hesitant to post.

Best of luck,

Roger

We are located in New York, so if you can recommend any hospitals in the New York area or we would be willing to travel.
  • concernedson
    My father went for blood works and now this monday he will be going for bone scan and a lower abdomen (catscan) and that Friday he will get his results. To my knowledge these are standard tests.
  • Photon
    Photon Member Posts: 57
    Concernedson

I have hip pains and my Gleason was 8 & 9s plus an extension out of the prostatic capsule. I have had the works RP,RT and casodex when it spread to the lymph system. However my hip pains are arthritic not metasised PC. So with a T1 tumour it is unlikely to be anything other than arthritis or a bit of sciatica. Worry can bring the latter on due to tense muscles.
    Like you my son worries himself to death but as many others have said if you have to have PC then a T1 is as good as it gets. The best to your 'old man' he will come through.

Photon
  • concernedson

Concerned,

Roger

Thanks Roger, he is going for a bone and abodomen scan omn Monday. He will get resulsts on Friday. I will keep you guys posted. I am praying for localization of the prostate.
  • concernedson
    Photon said:

Concernedson

I have hip pains and my Gleason was 8 & 9s plus an extension out of the prostatic capsule. I have had the works RP,RT and casodex when it spread to the lymph system. However my hip pains are arthritic not metasised PC. So with a T1 tumour it is unlikely to be anything other than arthritis or a bit of sciatica. Worry can bring the latter on due to tense muscles.
    Like you my son worries himself to death but as many others have said if you have to have PC then a T1 is as good as it gets. The best to your 'old man' he will come through.

Photon

Thanks. He is getting his bone scan and abdomine scan on Monday I will keep you posted.