Articles

vinny3
vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all,
I am posting a listing of medical articles that may help some in making the decision regarding chemotherapy. If there is a medical library present in your community they may be able to get reprints of the articles for you. I hope yet to be able to scan these into the system but don't have that worked out yet and with Thanksgiving next week probably won't for a few more weeks.

Should Dukes' B Patients Receive Adjuvant Therapy? A Statistical Perspective
Seminars in Oncology, Vol 28, No 1, Suppl 1 (February), 2001: pp 20-24.
--indicates that the benefit is about half that for Dukes C with about a 3% absolute risk reduction 5 yr disease free survival and a 2% absolute risk reduction in 5 yr overall survival

Metastatic Colorectal Cancer: Is There One Standard Approach?
Oncology, Vol 19, No. 9, August 2005: pp 1147-1154 with reviews on pp 1154-1160

Pooled Analysis of Fluoruracil-based Adjuvant Therapy for Stage II and Stage III Colon Cancer- Who Benefits and By How much?
J. Clin Oncology, Vol 22, No 10, May 15, 2004; pp 1797-1806

Oxaliplatin, Fluorouracil and Leucovorin as Adjuvant Treatment for Colon Cander. ( is part of the MOSAIC trial- this is from France)
NEJM 350; Vol 23, June 3, 2004; pp 2343-2351

Adjuvant Therapy for Stage II Colon Cancer: A Systematic Review from the Cancer Care Ontario Prgram in Evidence-Based Cares- Gastrointestinal Disease Site Group.
J. Clin. Oncology; Vol 22, No. 18, Aug 15, 2004 pp 3395-3407

American Society of Clinical Oncology Recommendations on Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Stage II Colon Cancer.
-- J. Clin. Oncology; Vol 22, No 16, Aug 15, 2004. pp 3408-3419.

Folfox for Stage II Colon Cancer? A Commentary on the Recent FDA Approval for Oxaliplatin for Adjuvant Therapy of Stage III Colon Cancer.
J. Clin Oncology; Vol 23, No 15, May 20, 2005. pp3311-3313.

Colon Cancer Survival Rates with the New American Joint Committee on Cancer, 6th Edition Staging.
J. Nat Cancer Inst.; Vol 19, No.19, Oct 6, 2004. pp 1420-1425.

I hope this information helps. Some is technical but I think basically you can understand it even without medical training.

Comments

• HowardJ
    HowardJ Member Posts: 474
    Thanks, ****, for taking the time to investigate and post this information. Looks very informative.

Howard
  • vinny3
    One more article.
    Adjuvant Therapy of cancers of the colon and rectum (Dr. Saltz from Sloan-Kettering)
    --Surg Clin N Am 82 (2002) pp 1035-1058.

• cherriann
    cherriann Member Posts: 155 Member
    thanks so much vinny. i was just cut from my oxalilplatin for a few weeks because of the severe neuropathy, not sure i want to continue it, it really takes a toll on me. thanks again, cherri
  • changing
    changing Member Posts: 134
    Thanks a million for the info! I'll go to the college nearby....because the library there should give access to all of these. Thanks again!
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    Thanks for your work. Some of these are available on-line. I found American Society of Clinical Oncology Recommendations on Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Stage II Colon Cancer. at http://www.jco.org/cgi/content/full/22/16/3408
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Thank you, ****, for all of your hard work. I was officially a stage III...so I didn't have much of a choice. I was shocked to read of a gal in my 'other' cancer (Breast) world who was DCIS (Stage I) and they were doing chemo on her...I don't know the whole story, but.....

Hugs, Kathi
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    Hi ****; first thanks for your efforts. Have you read the articles? I'm wondering if the concensus of opinion is simply that chemo buys a little time, but not much else. Most of the conventional medicine articles/studies I have read give very small statistical significance. The alternative opinions,ie; Moss, etc. are even less encouraging. I realize that you can't give an opinion, but is there anything in these articles that will give the reader hope/encouragement ?
    I have outlived most of the expectancies for my disease, most likely due to some of the treatments I have received, but there has been no cure, remission, NED, etc that was lasting. Now I'm faced with that imponderable-Quality VS Quanity. I'm wondering how many individuals, both
    patients and professionals, when confronted with this question, just don't know.. Bud
  • nanuk
    vinny3 said:

One more article.
    Adjuvant Therapy of cancers of the colon and rectum (Dr. Saltz from Sloan-Kettering)
    --Surg Clin N Am 82 (2002) pp 1035-1058.

Link to Saltz article:

http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.orto g/cgi/content/full/1/1/22
  • nanuk
    nanuk said:

Link to Saltz article:

here's some-(not all) links to the articles,or very similar article**********************************************************************************************************
    Should Dukes' B Patients Receive Adjuvant Therapy? A Statistical Perspective : http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/cgi/content/full/11/9/973
    Seminars in Oncology, Vol 28, No 1, Suppl 1 (February), 2001: pp 20-24.
    --indicates that the benefit is about half that for Dukes C with about a 3% absolute risk reduction 5 yr disease free survival and a 2% absolute risk reduction in 5 yr overall survival
    **********************************************************************************************************************
    Metastatic Colorectal Cancer: Is There One Standard Approach?
    Oncology, Vol 19, No. 9, August 2005: pp 1147-1154 with reviews on pp 1154-1160
    Pooled Analysis of Fluoruracil-based Adjuvant Therapy for Stage II and Stage III Colon Cancer- Who Benefits and By How much? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=16255132&dopt=Abstract
    *********************************************************************************************************************
    J. Clin Oncology, Vol 22, No 10, May 15, 2004; pp 1797-1806
    Oxaliplatin, Fluorouracil and Leucovorin as Adjuvant Treatment for Colon Cander. ( is part of the MOSAIC trial- this is from France) http://www.jco.org/cgi/content/abstract/22/10/1797
    **************************************************************************************************************************
    NEJM 350; Vol 23, June 3, 2004; pp 2343-2351
    Adjuvant Therapy for Stage II Colon Cancer: A Systematic Review from the Cancer Care Ontario Prgram in Evidence-Based Cares- Gastrointestinal Disease Site Group.
    J. Clin. Oncology; Vol 22, No. 18, Aug 15, 2004 pp 3395-3407
    American Society of Clinical Oncology Recommendations on Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Stage II Colon Cancer.
    -- J. Clin. Oncology; Vol 22, No 16, Aug 15, 2004. pp 3408-3419.
    Folfox for Stage II Colon Cancer? A Commentary on the Recent FDA Approval for Oxaliplatin for Adjuvant Therapy of Stage III Colon Cancer.
    ********************************************************************************************************************
    J. Clin Oncology; Vol 23, No 15, May 20, 2005. pp3311-3313.
    Colon Cancer Survival Rates with the New American Joint Committee on Cancer, 6th Edition Staging. http://intl.jco.org/cgi/content/full/23/15/3652-b
    *****************************************************************************************************************

J. Nat Cancer Inst.; Vol 19, No.19, Oct 6, 2004. pp 1420-1425.
    s..
  • nanuk
    nanuk said:

Link to Saltz article:

the saltz article is very readable, and summarizes most of the adjuvant chemotherapy of colorectal cancer
  • vinny3
    nanuk said:

Hi ****; first thanks for your efforts. Have you read the articles? I'm wondering if the concensus of opinion is simply that chemo buys a little time, but not much else. Most of the conventional medicine articles/studies I have read give very small statistical significance. The alternative opinions,ie; Moss, etc. are even less encouraging. I realize that you can't give an opinion, but is there anything in these articles that will give the reader hope/encouragement ?
    I have outlived most of the expectancies for my disease, most likely due to some of the treatments I have received, but there has been no cure, remission, NED, etc that was lasting. Now I'm faced with that imponderable-Quality VS Quanity. I'm wondering how many individuals, both
    patients and professionals, when confronted with this question, just don't know.. Bud

I have read these articles. It appears, to me, that they show a clearcut difference in favor of chemo for Stage III and Stage IV but the benefit for Stage II is relatively small. However because the benefit appears small they would need studies on a larger number of Stage II patients to show a significant difference. Most oncologists are using the chemo on Stage II because there appears to be at least a small benefit and they also seem to feel that if it is so beneficial in the higher stages that it must also be beneficial for Stage II, at least for those at higher risk.

• jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    To **** and Vinny,
    Thanks so much for sharing the results of your efforts; it's like having our own research bureau. My original site was a less than 1 cm polyp that turned out positive on biopsy. Not sure of the Duke's stage, but it was invasive only to the submucosa. To everyone's surprise, I also had 1 out of 12 positive nodes. At the time, 03, my onc recommended against Oxali, even though it had recently been approved, due to his concerns about benefit vs risk. It is hard to extrapolate true benefit from studies and apply directly to each person.
    Continued thanks and best wishes to you both as you continue to manage your interventions and fight this beast. Your courage and grace under fire are awesome! Judy
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    nanuk said:

the saltz article is very readable, and summarizes most of the adjuvant chemotherapy of colorectal cancer

**** 7 Bud -

You guys are awesome - what a comprehensive list! Thanks!