Xeloda-Mom's hands and feet are really red?

valeriec
valeriec Member Posts: 348 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone,
Just got back from my mom and dad's house. Came back a little early because my youngest son has a basketball game tonight. My mom has now completed 6 out of a scheduled 12 Xeloda/Asvastin treatments. She is doing very well. Really no side effects except really, really, red hands and feet. No bleeding or blisters, yet. I really want my mom to be able to finish these treatments because she has had such great results. 5 of 6 tumors are gone! I know this is a side effect from the Xeloda. I was just wondering if anyone had any advise about it? She is using Utterly Smooth lotion-but is there something better??
Thanks,
ValerieC

Comments

• kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Hi Valerie,

So glad to hear that some of your Mom's tumors are gone.

I took Xeloda for over a year and had problems with hand/foot syndrome. I even lost my toenails (not fingernails though) Keep lots of moisturizing lotions on at all times. Sometimes I even slept with lotion and white cotton socks and gloves to help. When mine got severe, the doctor reduced my dosage. An ointment recommended by my doctors was Aquaphor. It can be found in the baby isle of most drug stores. It is a bit greasy, but really helps.

Good to hear your Mom is responding to treatments. She is half way there!!

Take care,

Kerry
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    Have her try, if she hasn't so far, take 100 mg of B6 2-3 times a day. My onc has indicated that that helps for the foot/hand syndrome.

• spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Valerie -

YES! Go see your Mary Kay lady (she'll be the one with blue hair driving the pink Cadilac). MK has this totally AWESOME stuff called nightime emolient cream. Have your mom put it on her feet and hands - best right after she gets out of the shower. Also put it on before bed and then wear gloves and socks to allow it to soak in really good. I used it when I was in chemo and it had amazing results.

You better not tell ANYONE I work with that I know ANYTHING about Mary Kay... it will totally blow the entire macho-sailor image thing I have going on here...

That works great for hydrating from the outside. The other thing she needs to do is hydrate from the INSIDE - drink 3-4 liters of water each day.

Cheers

- SB
  • valeriec
    vinny3 said:

Have her try, if she hasn't so far, take 100 mg of B6 2-3 times a day. My onc has indicated that that helps for the foot/hand syndrome.

Thanks ****,
    My mom is already taking B6 3 times a day. I think it is helping because like I said she doesn't have any blisters, bleeding, or swelling. Her hands and feet are just extremely bright reddish, even sort of puple at times.
    ValerieC
  • valeriec
    kerry said:

Hi Valerie,

So glad to hear that some of your Mom's tumors are gone.

I took Xeloda for over a year and had problems with hand/foot syndrome. I even lost my toenails (not fingernails though) Keep lots of moisturizing lotions on at all times. Sometimes I even slept with lotion and white cotton socks and gloves to help. When mine got severe, the doctor reduced my dosage. An ointment recommended by my doctors was Aquaphor. It can be found in the baby isle of most drug stores. It is a bit greasy, but really helps.

Good to hear your Mom is responding to treatments. She is half way there!!

Take care,

Kerry

Hi Kerry,
    What dosage were you on?? My mom is on 2000mg a day. She has not lost her toenails and her finger nails are actually growing. I like the socks and glove advise. I will tell my mom. I will also look for the Aquaphor. You guys are all so awesome. So ready to help. Thank you.
    Love, ValerieC
  • valeriec
    spongebob said:

Valerie -

YES! Go see your Mary Kay lady (she'll be the one with blue hair driving the pink Cadilac). MK has this totally AWESOME stuff called nightime emolient cream. Have your mom put it on her feet and hands - best right after she gets out of the shower. Also put it on before bed and then wear gloves and socks to allow it to soak in really good. I used it when I was in chemo and it had amazing results.

You better not tell ANYONE I work with that I know ANYTHING about Mary Kay... it will totally blow the entire macho-sailor image thing I have going on here...

That works great for hydrating from the outside. The other thing she needs to do is hydrate from the INSIDE - drink 3-4 liters of water each day.

Cheers

- SB

SB,
    I wonder if you know how much you make me laugh?? I value your advise, and I love the way it is delivered. Puts a smile right on my face. And, I do know a MK lady who drives a pink Cadilac, but she doesn't have blue hair!! I actually have some of the nightime emolient cream. I will have my mom try it. Kerry mentioned the socks and gloves thing, too. Sounds like good advise.
    And, don't worry, your MK secret is safe with me.(I am still laughing!!) I would never blow your macho-sailor image.

My mom does drink a lot of water. They try for a gallon a day.

Thanks,
    ValerieC
  • kerry
    valeriec said:

Hi Kerry,
    What dosage were you on?? My mom is on 2000mg a day. She has not lost her toenails and her finger nails are actually growing. I like the socks and glove advise. I will tell my mom. I will also look for the Aquaphor. You guys are all so awesome. So ready to help. Thank you.
    Love, ValerieC

Hi Valerie,

I started out with 1500mg in the am and 2000mg at night!! Then it was reduced periodically as my side effects became more severe until I was taking 2000 mg per day. At that amount my toenails grew back. Worse part was that it was summer and all those cute sandals went to waste!

Kerry
  • kerry
    valeriec said:

Hi Kerry,
    Love, ValerieC

Hi Valerie,

I started out with 1500mg in the am and 2000mg at night!! Then it was reduced periodically as my side effects became more severe until I was taking 2000 mg per day. At that amount my toenails grew back. Worse part was that it was summer and all those cute sandals went to waste!

Kerry
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Hello Valerie (and mom and sisters too),

Glad to hear your mom is doing so well, except for the hand and foot syndrome. Considering the great results this should hopefully just be a minor irritation.

I'm on 3000 mg per day (1500 morning and 1500 at night) of Xeloda, and infusions of Oxaliplatin. I've had problems with my feet too. First they went red and tender and then peeled, and now the new prize in the package is blackened toenails (good thing dark nail colors are in this fall). I admit though, I have not been great at keeping my feet as well hydrated as I should, but I can personally support SpongeBob's advice for the Mary Kay cream. Other lotions do the trick, but the Mary Kay feels so nice...give it a try.

Again, glad to hear the great results your mom is having. I will get my PET/CT scan, with an added pelvic MRI (long story - probably canceritis...again) as a bonus in a few weeks so I'm growing anxious to know if I can get my NED bowling shirt too.

All my best,
    Katie
  • usakat

Glad to hear your mom is doing so well, except for the hand and foot syndrome. Considering the great results this should hopefully just be a minor irritation.

I'm on 3000 mg per day (1500 morning and 1500 at night) of Xeloda, and infusions of Oxaliplatin. I've had problems with my feet too. First they went red and tender and then peeled, and now the new prize in the package is blackened toenails (good thing dark nail colors are in this fall). I admit though, I have not been great at keeping my feet as well hydrated as I should, but I can personally support SpongeBob's advice for the Mary Kay cream - Thank you SB. Other lotions do the trick, but the Mary Kay feels so nice...give it a try.

Again, glad to hear the great results your mom is having. I will get my PET/CT scan, with an added pelvic MRI (long story - probably canceritis...again) as a bonus in a few weeks so I'm growing anxious to know if I can get my NED bowling shirt too.

All my best,
    Katie
  • usakat

I'm on 3000 mg per day (1500 morning and 1500 at night) of Xeloda, and infusions of Oxaliplatin. I've had problems with my feet too. First they went red and tender and then peeled, and now the new prize in the package is blackened toenails (good thing dark nail colors are in this fall). I admit though, I have not been great at keeping my feet as well hydrated as I should, but I can personally support SpongeBob's advice for the Mary Kay cream - Thank you SB. Other lotions do the trick, but the Mary Kay feels so nice...give it a try.

All my best,
    Katie
  • valeriec
    usakat said:

All my best,
    Katie

Hi Katie,
    I will keep you in my prayers for the up coming PET/CT/MRI scans. My mom gets so anxious about her scans, too. Actually, so do I.

I pray that my mom is soon to be NED!! We do a CT scan in 4 weeks on the adrenal tumor. God, I hope it is GONE!

What is this NED bowling shirt about??? I keep seeing it, but I must admitt, I have no idea what you all are talking about?? Did I miss something?
    God Bless,
    ValerieC
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Valerie,
    Well, everyone has told you all of MY secrets. Except for maybe the one about rubbing a SAILOR on a Mary Kay lady?????? Never heard THAT one!!!! (I Love you, dad...but WHAT a CARD!!!)

Water, Aquaphor (interesting, this one is used for radiation burns, too), and the pink Mary Kay stuff is what I used....

Hugs, Kathi
  • spongebob
    valeriec said:

Hi Katie,
    I will keep you in my prayers for the up coming PET/CT/MRI scans. My mom gets so anxious about her scans, too. Actually, so do I.

I pray that my mom is soon to be NED!! We do a CT scan in 4 weeks on the adrenal tumor. God, I hope it is GONE!

What is this NED bowling shirt about??? I keep seeing it, but I must admitt, I have no idea what you all are talking about?? Did I miss something?
    God Bless,
    ValerieC

Valerie -

A couple of years back a bunch of us were chatting about the word "NED" (no evidence of disease) and those of us who were NED started calling ourselves "Ned" (as in the rather nerdy first name - apologies to anyone named Ned reading this). Sticking with the nerdy theme, someone - I'm pretty sure it was Stacy Gleason - threw out that we should all get bowling shirts with the name "Ned" embroidered on them.

Silly, but it stuck...

Another legend from the annals (note 2 "n"s) of SemiColon Lore revealed...
  • markatger
    markatger Member Posts: 314
    Hi Valerie

I was told by my oncologist that the redness was caused by chemo seeping into the something like the interstitial space?? in our skin and causing irritation. It seeps because our feet and hands get pressure put on them when walking and handling items. (I wonder why my butt doesn't turn red from sitting on it all day? hmmm...that's a hole in this theory isn't it ...oh well). Maybe staying off her feet a little and watching what she does with her hands could help..

My doctor also prescribed celebrex for this inflammation. But I didn't take it a whole lot because I get scared about taking drugs that have been in the news at all - which celebrex has been as far as being not so good for people with cardiac risks.

I think avoiding heat helped me too. I have a tendency to take pretty hot showers. I think I remember this made things worse.

Best Wishes,
    Maria
  • spongebob
    markatger said:

Hi Valerie

I was told by my oncologist that the redness was caused by chemo seeping into the something like the interstitial space?? in our skin and causing irritation. It seeps because our feet and hands get pressure put on them when walking and handling items. (I wonder why my butt doesn't turn red from sitting on it all day? hmmm...that's a hole in this theory isn't it ...oh well). Maybe staying off her feet a little and watching what she does with her hands could help..

My doctor also prescribed celebrex for this inflammation. But I didn't take it a whole lot because I get scared about taking drugs that have been in the news at all - which celebrex has been as far as being not so good for people with cardiac risks.

I think avoiding heat helped me too. I have a tendency to take pretty hot showers. I think I remember this made things worse.

Best Wishes,
    Maria

Hey, Maria -

have your doc look into perscribing you Clinoril in lieu of Celebrex. That's what I am taking now for post-chemo arthritis and as a prophylactic treatment. Studies show no problems with cardiac issues and also show it actually shows more positive results in repressing CRC recurrence.

- SB
  • markatger
    markatger Member Posts: 314
    spongebob said:

Hey, Maria -

have your doc look into perscribing you Clinoril in lieu of Celebrex. That's what I am taking now for post-chemo arthritis and as a prophylactic treatment. Studies show no problems with cardiac issues and also show it actually shows more positive results in repressing CRC recurrence.

- SB

Thanks sponger!

-maria