tarceva

itrustgod
itrustgod Member Posts: 41
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I've got a few questions to those of you who knows anything about the treatment.

a.) my mom recently started using Tarceva; it is her first line of treatment. We were reading the box and it said tarceva is used for those who have not responded to chemotherapy. my mom has NOT undergone chemo yet; her doctor told her (with her permission, of course) that we could try tarceva first and if it does not have any effect on her, we would try undergoing regular chemo (through IV)

b. for those who has experience with tarceva, did you notice a dryness of your throat which is causing you to cough more?

c. in terms of the dryness/rash of the skin, did you use any facial creams such as moisturizers etc., to help ease the dryness?

THANK YOU to all those that could help.

Comments

• itrustgod
    Also, has anyone heard of this juice called XANGO? it is from the mangosteen fruit from asia. has anyone tried it?
  • kaitek
    kaitek Member Posts: 156 Member
    Hmmm, I wonder what's the reason for the reticience in answering your questions as other people are on Tarceva. Perhaps, your answers are in other threads.

You might want to search for possible answers by looking up Tarceva in the Search tool.

Good luck in your information gathering.
  • Susan_Xu
    Susan_Xu Member Posts: 14
    itrustgod said:

Also, has anyone heard of this juice called XANGO? it is from the mangosteen fruit from asia. has anyone tried it?

This seems like some kind of fruit juice from Asia although I have never heard it in China. Below is some information you might be interested in.
    http://www.39kf.com/EN/pregnancy-and-family/General-Health/2006-10-05-271262.shtml
  • Ree5558
    Ree5558 Member Posts: 21 Member
    Hello,
    I am currently taking Tarceva. I do use moisturizers for the dry skin. I use Avena Moisturizing Cream. It can be purchased at any drug store. Also it does seem to make my throat dry. I drink lots of water when I take my pill. This seems to help alot. Also I take my pill right before bed because it makes me a little nausea and I guess I sleep it off because I awake feeling fine. I took it in AM when I first started but PM seems to work so much better for me
    Jaree
  • itrustgod
    Ree5558 said:

Hello,
    I am currently taking Tarceva. I do use moisturizers for the dry skin. I use Avena Moisturizing Cream. It can be purchased at any drug store. Also it does seem to make my throat dry. I drink lots of water when I take my pill. This seems to help alot. Also I take my pill right before bed because it makes me a little nausea and I guess I sleep it off because I awake feeling fine. I took it in AM when I first started but PM seems to work so much better for me
    Jaree

jaree,

thank you for the reply. I was just wondering, did you take Tarceva after doing chemo? or was Tarceva your first line treatment? I haven't encountered anyone that used Tarceva as a firstline treatment, and that sort of worried me. thanks for your input.
  • Ree5558
    Ree5558 Member Posts: 21 Member
    itrustgod said:

jaree,

thank you for the reply. I was just wondering, did you take Tarceva after doing chemo? or was Tarceva your first line treatment? I haven't encountered anyone that used Tarceva as a firstline treatment, and that sort of worried me. thanks for your input.

I had both surgery and chemo prior to taking the Tarceva. However, it was prior to either treatment failing so it was kinda first line. My oncologist felt like why not go ahead, not wait for treatment failure. My last scan did show a couple of "HOT SPOTS" They cannot do a biopsy because of the location. One of my nieces is married to a biochemist who works for Merck. He said if he or his wife was diagnosed with lung cancer he would take the Tarceva . Merck is currently working on a drug similiar to Tarceva. I hope this is somewhat helpful.
    Jaree
  • itrustgod
    Ree5558 said:

I had both surgery and chemo prior to taking the Tarceva. However, it was prior to either treatment failing so it was kinda first line. My oncologist felt like why not go ahead, not wait for treatment failure. My last scan did show a couple of "HOT SPOTS" They cannot do a biopsy because of the location. One of my nieces is married to a biochemist who works for Merck. He said if he or his wife was diagnosed with lung cancer he would take the Tarceva . Merck is currently working on a drug similiar to Tarceva. I hope this is somewhat helpful.
    Jaree

it is definitely helpful. It's always nice to hear good comments about something my mom (and yourself!) is taking.. I hope everything is well with you... My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
  • ernrol
    ernrol Member Posts: 90
    I took Tarceva as a first line treatment along with chemo; Carboplatin and Taxol. I have been on Tarceva for over a year. I have had no adverse side effects from the Tarceva or any of the other chemo. One of the supplements that I was taking AHCC 6grams a day; after I stopped chemo I reduced it to a maintenance dose of 3 grams a day. I got a sore throat every morning. I went back to 6 grams a day and the sore throat went away. AHCC is supposed to help with side effects of chemo and Tarceva. I also drink 12-15 8oz glasses of water a day. I try to drink a glass for every hour that I am awake. The water helps a lot. If I slack off on the water, my throat is a little soar in the morning.

I had stage IV lung cancer, for now I am cancer free. I was told that this would not happen, but they did not know my chief physician I was not a candidate for surgery or radiation. . You can type ernrol in the search box at top of screen, then click on any place you see ernrol to the right of screen. This will take you to my web page. If you would like more info about the things I did let me know, and I will post them.

Ernie
  • joes_sis
    joes_sis Member Posts: 1
    Clinical trials have shown Tarceva to be a good first line treatment for adenocarcinoma. A book I received from American Lung Alliance suggests it may be best treatment if you have BAC type of Adeno. Some studies suggest a 50-75% positive response to it as first line treatment. Good luck to all your family.
  • mariachong
    mariachong Member Posts: 1
    My Mom just started Tarceva as a first line treatment just two days ago. There was also a trial she could have enrolled in where you would either get Tarceva alone, or Tarceva with chemo. I guess Tarceva as a first line treatment is gaining acceptance. She's being treated at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. They told us for non-smokers and esp. for women, they are using this much more frequently.
  • walley
    walley Member Posts: 2
    we have used aveeno creams and cleansers with good results