low plaletes, again

betina61
betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Today I went for my sith treatment but was sent home because my plaletes were under 100 I was re-schedule for next Wedsnday,hopefully I will be fine, I had my Dr. appt, last Friday and he told me that it my be necessary if this become a pattern to lower my dose, I asked him if that will be dangerous for the treatment but told me that they will low the chemo but not to a point that will interfere with the treatment,I hope that this will not happen because I want to go as agressive as possible. Has anyone encounter this situation that they needed to adjust the chemo?

Comments

• StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Betina,

I have heard where dosages have had to be lowered. I remember having to get Nupogen shots during my chemo which boosted the counts. Maybe this is an option for you?

Stay strong, you've come so long!!!

Hugs,

Stacy
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Hi Betina,

Don't get discouraged. Others have had to lower dosage also on this board just as Stacy has said. Did you ask if you would then need to extend your number of treatments? I know I was depressed when I had to postpone and then after thinking about it on the ride home, I was glad because that meant I was feeling good for a week before starting the chemo rollercoaster of reactions. Unfortunately I don't believe there is any way to increase plateletts except for time or in drastic cases (not yours) to give an infusion. HUGS and you will be done this soon. Enjoy your week "off"!

Lisa F.
  • JADot
    JADot Member Posts: 709 Member
    ....and the chicken lady chimes in.

My blood signs took a dive between round 4 and 5. I had to get 2 nupogen shots, but I hated the idea of generating 30,000 WBC overnight. So I temporarily abandoned my vegeatarian diet and started to eat organic chicken and eggs in order to get enough high quality protein. Within two weeks my blood signs improved and remained strong for the next 12 rounds. Never had nupogen again. Our bodies need protein to repair damaged tissues and strengthen our immune system. I can give you a book list on this is you want. Make sure you're eating enough and eating well. This was a big tip I picked up from the Patrick Quillin book. Also Lisa posted something on protein not long ago.

My onc said she's a big fan of chicken. So I considered it prescription chicken :)

Love your fighting spirit!!! I am rooting for you!!!

Cheers,
    Ying
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Hi Betina,

I promised this list to Mark last week so I hope he sees this too.

First, the immune system (white blood cell counts) supplements I am going to list are listed in my books as being okay to take while on chemo and/or radiation BUT you should still ask your oncologist about them. You can also google each of these to learn more about them if you like. All are natural with no side effects and can be bought at any health food store or health food supermarket. Vitaminshoppe.com is also very reputable for their products.

1. Coriolus versicolor, also know as PSP or PSK. Great for colorectal cancer and studies show it enhance immune function.

2. Maitake mushroom (extract or capsule). Great healing powers and boost the immune cells that fight cancer cells.

3. Astragalus. Boost and enhances natural killer and other immune cells that fight cancer.

4. IP6. Also an immune booster.

5. A very good B complex multi-vitamin to help your body rebuild the fast growing cells that chemo can destroy. Get one that has 1000 time the RDA of B6 and B12 along with folic acid and the other B vitamins. Mine also has vitamin C in it.

If you like them, eat as much garlic, mushrooms and onions as you can. Tomato sauces with lycopene are great too with loads of cancer fighting antioxidants. I lived off of it for a while as my taste buds recovered from chemo.

Thats enough for now. I hope this helps and I agree with Ying....protein is essential to new cell development too.

Lisa P.
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    I asked my onc if it was a problem sometimes to go 3 weeks between treatments ( for vacation, etc.) and she said there is no evidence that it would be a problem. Don't feel bad about the delay. If your counts remain low and it probably best to lower the dose. I have been a big chicken eater and don't know if that is why but my counts now have been ok.

• nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Was DX July 06 with Stage II NO/MO colon cancer. Tumor removed on 10 July 06. Started FLOFOX (oxy, 5FU & Lev) on 18 August 06. Will do a total of 12 treatments over 6 months. The first 4 I had full strength, but started having tingling and locking of wrist joints along with low WBC and had to have a Neulasta shot which did not do well for me or my body so I discontinued the booster shot. Only had one. Discussed options with Onc Doc and agreed to lower my treatment 20% across the board. Oxy was at 85% and is now at 65% and 5FU is was at 2400 and is now at 1900. Had this treatment on 20 October and I seem to be doing better. According to my Onc Doc the 20% reduction is standard and is based on YOUR toxicity level (side effects) to the chemo. I have 7 more treatments and I will do my best to complete, but if my body tells me it has had enough, I need to listen.

Don't know what stage you are, but make sure you take control of your treatment and discuss all options with your Onc Doc.

I have taken control of my treatment since the beginning and I can tell you that some of the Onc Nurses do not like me, but I can live with that.
  • betina61

Betina,

I have heard where dosages have had to be lowered. I remember having to get Nupogen shots during my chemo which boosted the counts. Maybe this is an option for you?

Stay strong, you've come so long!!!

Hugs,

Stacy

Hi Stacey I already get the Neulasta shot after chemo but that is for the WBC.
  • betina61

Hi Betina,

Don't get discouraged. Others have had to lower dosage also on this board just as Stacy has said. Did you ask if you would then need to extend your number of treatments? I know I was depressed when I had to postpone and then after thinking about it on the ride home, I was glad because that meant I was feeling good for a week before starting the chemo rollercoaster of reactions. Unfortunately I don't believe there is any way to increase plateletts except for time or in drastic cases (not yours) to give an infusion. HUGS and you will be done this soon. Enjoy your week "off"!

Lisa F.

Lisa,as a matter of fact It came to my mind to ask about extending the treatment in case that the dose have to be adjusted.That might be an option. Thanks
  • betina61
    JADot said:

....and the chicken lady chimes in.

My blood signs took a dive between round 4 and 5. I had to get 2 nupogen shots, but I hated the idea of generating 30,000 WBC overnight. So I temporarily abandoned my vegeatarian diet and started to eat organic chicken and eggs in order to get enough high quality protein. Within two weeks my blood signs improved and remained strong for the next 12 rounds. Never had nupogen again. Our bodies need protein to repair damaged tissues and strengthen our immune system. I can give you a book list on this is you want. Make sure you're eating enough and eating well. This was a big tip I picked up from the Patrick Quillin book. Also Lisa posted something on protein not long ago.

My onc said she's a big fan of chicken. So I considered it prescription chicken :)

Love your fighting spirit!!! I am rooting for you!!!

Cheers,
    Ying

Hi Ying, I am already getting the Neulasta shot after chemo but that is for the WBC, I understand that for the plaletets there is almost nothing to prescribe for that,the Dr. mentioned something but told be that we will wait because of the side effects. Hopefully tomorrow are normal and I can get my regular Chemo. Thanks
  • betina61
    scouty said:

Hi Betina,

I promised this list to Mark last week so I hope he sees this too.

First, the immune system (white blood cell counts) supplements I am going to list are listed in my books as being okay to take while on chemo and/or radiation BUT you should still ask your oncologist about them. You can also google each of these to learn more about them if you like. All are natural with no side effects and can be bought at any health food store or health food supermarket. Vitaminshoppe.com is also very reputable for their products.

1. Coriolus versicolor, also know as PSP or PSK. Great for colorectal cancer and studies show it enhance immune function.

2. Maitake mushroom (extract or capsule). Great healing powers and boost the immune cells that fight cancer cells.

3. Astragalus. Boost and enhances natural killer and other immune cells that fight cancer.

4. IP6. Also an immune booster.

5. A very good B complex multi-vitamin to help your body rebuild the fast growing cells that chemo can destroy. Get one that has 1000 time the RDA of B6 and B12 along with folic acid and the other B vitamins. Mine also has vitamin C in it.

If you like them, eat as much garlic, mushrooms and onions as you can. Tomato sauces with lycopene are great too with loads of cancer fighting antioxidants. I lived off of it for a while as my taste buds recovered from chemo.

Thats enough for now. I hope this helps and I agree with Ying....protein is essential to new cell development too.

Lisa P.

Lisa I will print this list and I'll show it to my Dc. next appt. Thanks
  • betina61
    vinny3 said:

I asked my onc if it was a problem sometimes to go 3 weeks between treatments ( for vacation, etc.) and she said there is no evidence that it would be a problem. Don't feel bad about the delay. If your counts remain low and it probably best to lower the dose. I have been a big chicken eater and don't know if that is why but my counts now have been ok.

That is true if I need to wait I'll wait,the problem with me is that I don't like chicken very much, but I will try to eat more of it. Thanks
  • betina61
    nudgie said:

Was DX July 06 with Stage II NO/MO colon cancer. Tumor removed on 10 July 06. Started FLOFOX (oxy, 5FU & Lev) on 18 August 06. Will do a total of 12 treatments over 6 months. The first 4 I had full strength, but started having tingling and locking of wrist joints along with low WBC and had to have a Neulasta shot which did not do well for me or my body so I discontinued the booster shot. Only had one. Discussed options with Onc Doc and agreed to lower my treatment 20% across the board. Oxy was at 85% and is now at 65% and 5FU is was at 2400 and is now at 1900. Had this treatment on 20 October and I seem to be doing better. According to my Onc Doc the 20% reduction is standard and is based on YOUR toxicity level (side effects) to the chemo. I have 7 more treatments and I will do my best to complete, but if my body tells me it has had enough, I need to listen.

Don't know what stage you are, but make sure you take control of your treatment and discuss all options with your Onc Doc.

I have taken control of my treatment since the beginning and I can tell you that some of the Onc Nurses do not like me, but I can live with that.

Hi Nudgie, is good to know that your Dc. told you that reducing the dose by 20% will be O.K.because you know how we are we want to be as agressive as possible,but in the other hand you don't want to do more harm to your body. I was DX,in JUly 2006, stage 3 only one positive node.
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Hi Betina,
    Sorry to hear about your platelet count. I didn't experience that, but I did experience numerous times low WBC counts. I grilled my oncologist pretty thoroughly (as is my style!) on the implications of (a) reducing the dose and (b) delays. My understanding (I was on FOLFOX) was that neither reduced effectiveness (within reason, of course). And the latest "trend" reported in the research literature seems to be "stop-start" chemo. So, I'd urge you to probe your docs for more info. We all want to get the chemo finished and over -- but it seems delays are not such a bad thing. Best wishes to you.