need info please

DennisB
DennisB Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
sister was diagnosed with lung cancer-waiting for surgery date for lung biopsy-she is 65-had cancerous kidney removed two years ago-she is very weak-question-when rhey do the biopsy, do they go ahead with whatwver surgery is necessaey-dr wasn't clear on that

Comments

• Ree5558
    Ree5558 Member Posts: 21 Member
    Hello Dennis,
    My surgeon did my surgery the same time he did the biopsy. You can see my webpage, Footprints for more info. I know that each case is different, and that it will likely depend on the stage. However my stage was 3b and my surgeon went ahead with the surgery. Good luck, I will be praying for your sister.
    Jaree
  • althoff1
    althoff1 Member Posts: 8
    When I had my biospy I was only given a conscious sedation so there is no way surgery could have been done. I was not in an operating room anyway. I am going in for another biospy this next Friday. My cancer was Stage IIIB also but is inoperable.
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a spot on my lung this year. They wanted to check to see if it was a metastisis or truly lung cancer before they decided anything. My biopsy had to be done under general anesthesia because it was too far in and too far down to be done by anything other than chest surgery. Some biopsies can be done in a less invasive manner depending on their position in the lung. So anyhow, I went in knowing that if my spot turned out to be obvious lung cancer, I would come out of surgery with less than 2 full size lungs. Unfortunately for me, it turned out to be adnocarcinoma. That can be either lung or breast cancer. After being sent home for a week, I learned it was indeed lung cancer and had to go back in for a repeat chest operation. It is much easier to just go in once, but you don't want to remove part of a lung on a guess. The doctor made me sign papers both times on exactly what they planned to do and what the likely outcomes would be up to the worst. By the way, if she must have surgery for her biopsy, see if she can have a VATS procedure. It will not give any difference in diagnosis or the amount of lung removed, but the recovery from a VATS procedure is much shorter than that of conventional surgery (smaller incisions make the difference).
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a spot on my lung this year. They wanted to check to see if it was a metastisis or truly lung cancer before they decided anything. My biopsy had to be done under general anesthesia because it was too far in and too far down to be done by anything other than chest surgery. Some biopsies can be done in a less invasive manner depending on their position in the lung. So anyhow, I went in knowing that if my spot turned out to be obvious lung cancer, I would come out of surgery with less than 2 full size lungs. Unfortunately for me, it turned out to be adnocarcinoma. That can be either lung or breast cancer. After being sent home for a week, I learned it was indeed lung cancer and had to go back in for a repeat chest operation. It is much easier to just go in once, but you don't want to remove part of a lung on a guess. The doctor made me sign papers both times on exactly what they planned to do and what the likely outcomes would be up to the worst. By the way, if she must have surgery for her biopsy, see if she can have a VATS procedure. It will not give any difference in diagnosis or the amount of lung removed, but the recovery from a VATS procedure is much shorter than that of conventional surgery (smaller incisions make the difference).