Hello everyone

Options
LLLady
LLLady Member Posts: 67
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
How are you all doing ... Good I hope
I have a question is it common for colon cancer to spread to the spine?
Thanks everyone HUGS!

Comments

• spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    Hi, LLLady -

I couldn't say if it is common or not, but I had a very good friend whose colon cancer did spread to his spine.

- SB
  • jana11
    jana11 Member Posts: 705
    Options
    It is VERY rare for bone met with colon cancer, but that does NOT mean it doesn't happen.

When I was first diagnosed I had crazy rib pain and had films to check it out, but my onc kept telling me it doesn't happen.
    jana
  • LLLady
    Options
    spongebob said:

Hi, LLLady -

I couldn't say if it is common or not, but I had a very good friend whose colon cancer did spread to his spine.

- SB

SpongeBob
    Do you remember what your friends symptoms were?
    jana11
    So you had this happen to you ? Did you have any other symptoms other the pain in your ribs?
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    LLLady said:

SpongeBob
    jana11
    So you had this happen to you ? Did you have any other symptoms other the pain in your ribs?

LLL -

Symptoms were pain and numbness in the legs and pelvis.
  • Patrusha
    Patrusha Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Hello Lady,

I was worried about some spine pain myself, which seemed to hang on for a while after surgery. Finally figured out it was just severe bruising from the epidural they tried (unsuccessfully) to insert into my spine for pain control.

The most described locations for metastesis of colon cancer is the liver and the lungs. But I would not hesitate to tell my doctor about any bone pains I was having and insist on an MRI, PET scan or other that could rule out anything.
  • jana11
    jana11 Member Posts: 705
    Options
    LLLady said:

SpongeBob
    jana11

I only experienced pain in my right lower ribs. One time I was straining and I thought I felt a pop - but it all turned out to be nothing.

HOWEVER, talk to your doc!

Another possibility - stress and tension are often felt as lower back pain - BUT - the stress pain won't be felt in the spine itself.. it is painful in the muscles just around the spine. Get checked.

I am a yoga addict. I think the relaxation helps so much. After surgery my docs said my recovery was amazing - I attribute that to my yoga and exercising.

Definately talk to your doc... try some stretches/yoga - I started with one DVD adn am sooo glad I did. Trust your intuition. Even if you are a crazy person, you have earned the right! :)Be crazy with pride!!

good luck, jana
  • LLLady
    Options
    Patrusha said:

Hello Lady,

I was worried about some spine pain myself, which seemed to hang on for a while after surgery. Finally figured out it was just severe bruising from the epidural they tried (unsuccessfully) to insert into my spine for pain control.

The most described locations for metastesis of colon cancer is the liver and the lungs. But I would not hesitate to tell my doctor about any bone pains I was having and insist on an MRI, PET scan or other that could rule out anything.

The reason I'm asking is that Due has numbness from his knees down to his feet that is getting worse. I just talk to the Doctor and they told me his PET scan is clean. They don't see anything on his spine or anywhere WHOOOSH! I was so worried
    He has no neck or back pain so they are going to send him to the neurologist.
    I was also told today that Due has to get a port put in his chest for chemo, Duey really doesn't like this idea :(
  • Patrusha
    Options
    LLLady said:

The reason I'm asking is that Due has numbness from his knees down to his feet that is getting worse. I just talk to the Doctor and they told me his PET scan is clean. They don't see anything on his spine or anywhere WHOOOSH! I was so worried
    He has no neck or back pain so they are going to send him to the neurologist.
    I was also told today that Due has to get a port put in his chest for chemo, Duey really doesn't like this idea :(

Did Due first notice this numbness right after surgery? Sometimes the way they lay you on the table can damage a nerve in the leg that takes months to heal. My daughter had this happen when she had an appendectomy.

Tell Due the port is a dream. I got mine in three weeks ago and I hardly notice it now, though it was sore for a while there. Beats getting hooked up everytime via an arm vein, especially when they leave you attached for a couple of days.
  • LLLady
    Options
    Patrusha said:

Did Due first notice this numbness right after surgery? Sometimes the way they lay you on the table can damage a nerve in the leg that takes months to heal. My daughter had this happen when she had an appendectomy.

Tell Due the port is a dream. I got mine in three weeks ago and I hardly notice it now, though it was sore for a while there. Beats getting hooked up everytime via an arm vein, especially when they leave you attached for a couple of days.

He actually had this about a week before sugery but it was very light then.
    He want's to know how long it took to get the port in? did it hurt?
    Thank you for your help
  • Patrusha
    Options
    LLLady said:

He actually had this about a week before sugery but it was very light then.
    He want's to know how long it took to get the port in? did it hurt?
    Thank you for your help

Putting the port in is an outpatient procedure and it takes about an hour. In my case I went to the hospital and they put me into a twilight sleep, a lot like the colonoscopy, and then I woke up in recovery.

Plan on spending longer there, however... there was a backup on the day I had my port put in and my husband and I waited to go back for THREE hours. Then it was another hour for the procedure and about half an hour in recovery.
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Lady,

The only way to check if there are mets in the spine is bone scan. PET scan and CT scan may not show anything. Ask for bone scan.

If Due does not want port, he can take chemo also in a pill form. One of them I know is Xeloda. Also, since he is only stage II, maybe alternative methods would be sufficient instead of chemotherapy. I would look into that.

My mother almost died from chemotherapy. It is not necessarily cures the disease, it may cause other ones.

I hope it helps.

God Bless, Eleonora