PSA

PGLGreg
PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I've had several PSA tests starting in February of this year with results approx.: 9.2, 4.6, 4.4, 3.8, 4.7. My doctor doesn't think the possibility of prostate cancer is worth pursuing (except to continue the PSA testing), but I'm a little uneasy. What do you think?

I'm 64 and a PSA level of 4.7 isn't remarkable, I gather. That 9.2 result back in February is pretty high, and my doctor prescribed 2 weeks of cipro on the theory that I might have a urinary tract infection, or, also, the high level might have been due to inflamation caused by the 6 weeks of radiation therapy I had in Jan/Feb (after surgery for rectal cancer).

Greg

Comments

• rogermoore
    rogermoore Member Posts: 264 Member
    Hi Greg,

First, is you Dr. a Urologist or a General Practioner? If he is not a Urologist I would be tempted to visit one. If the PSA level remains stabilized I would feel somewhat comfortable, even tho the 4.7 is considered to be on the high side.

If you have Prostate Cancer in your family, I would be surprised if a Urologist did not recommend a biopsy.

If you are very uncomfortable you can insist your Dr. perform a biopsy, just to ease your mind.

Keep us posted on your decisions.

Roger
  • PGLGreg

Hi Greg,

First, is you Dr. a Urologist or a General Practioner? If he is not a Urologist I would be tempted to visit one. If the PSA level remains stabilized I would feel somewhat comfortable, even tho the 4.7 is considered to be on the high side.

If you have Prostate Cancer in your family, I would be surprised if a Urologist did not recommend a biopsy.

If you are very uncomfortable you can insist your Dr. perform a biopsy, just to ease your mind.

Keep us posted on your decisions.

Roger

Thanks for your comments, Roger.

My doctor is an oncologist. He said it's a rising PSA that's something to watch out specially for. I think, tentatively, I'll wait to see what the level is on 9/11/06, when I'm scheduled for another test. If it's up, I'll see a urologist.

Greg
  • shipjim
    shipjim Member Posts: 137 Member
    4.4, 3.8, 4.7 is not stable, go to a urologist and perhaps get a biopsy, it's uncomfortable but will put to rest questions in most cases. Don't screw around with this.
  • PGLGreg
    shipjim said:

4.4, 3.8, 4.7 is not stable, go to a urologist and perhaps get a biopsy, it's uncomfortable but will put to rest questions in most cases. Don't screw around with this.

After 4.4, 3.8, 4.7,on Sept. 11, it was 3.7. I'll wait and see what it is in Oct.