lung cancer

daisy8
daisy8 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
any one out there who has lung cancer in the 4th stage my brother who is only 58 just found out its in his brain also his lymph glands, blood and bones dones anyone know what his chances are he is going to Fox Chase also has anyone heard of Cancer treatments of America

Comments

• reinstones1
    reinstones1 Member Posts: 92
    Don't get bogged down in statistics. It won't help you now. My Mom also has advanced lung cancer. She was diagnosed 8 months ago and is currently in the midst of her 2nd round of chemotherapy. All things considered, she's doing pretty well.

If you read about "chances" or "survival statistics" you'll get panicky and scared. Don't do it. Try to be positive, get him the best care possible, and support him. I don't know anything about Fox Chase but others here do and have posted that it's an excellent place for cancer care.

My best to you and your brother.
  • Diane411
    Diane411 Member Posts: 13
    Hi Daisy8,

My dad also was recently dx with Stage IIIB lung cancer. DON'T READ THE STATS. It will scare the pee out of you. I would highly recommend the book Live Strong by the Lance Armstrong Foundation. It gave me a new prospective on my dads cancer. Cancer is not a death sentence (as the stats would lead one to believe).

I think I have heard of Cancer Treatments of America. Do they have facilites throughout the US. If so, then yes, I know of someone going to Zion, ILL for his treatments. He had advanced lung cancer and almost 2 years later is 90% cancer free.

Hang in there. This is a very overwhelming time for you and your brother. It's information overload. After a few weeks of taking it all in, you'll be able to organize your thoughts.

I wish you and your brother the best.
  • kaitek
    kaitek Member Posts: 156 Member
    Hi daisy8,

My mother has stage 4 NSLC (adenocarcinoma) that spread to her lung linings, right lobe, lymph nodes (in her lungs) and her left pelvis, diagnosed on 7/19. She is a robust 76.

To echo the advice of reinstones1 and Diane, please don't pay any attention to the odds. It will only distress you to no end. It was because I had read those odds that made me distraught in the beginning. I'm a lot better now but I still have those moments when I have guarded optimism and caution (read: my scary thoughts).

In our first meeting with my mother's oncologist, I refused to discuss odds and so-called "averages." In fact, I did a preemptive strike by prefacing our meeting by telling the oncologist to not go over the averages as I wanted my mother to be treated as a unique individual. He obliged.

I will share with you that my mother is undergoing 6 rounds of Taxol and Carboplatin at a rate of once a week for 6 weeks. I didn't notice the dosage of her first two chemo, but I did note what the dosage was for the third. 100 mg of Taxol, followed by 160 mg of Carbo. The oncologist decided to forgo radiation. (I'm not quite sure of his reasoning except that he said the radiation would "kill" her lungs.)

My mother has been responding well to the chemo without any uncomfortable side effects. The oncologist said she would lose her hair by the third week. We're heading into her fourth week and she still has a head of hair, though the hair is falling out. Losing her hair is the least of the side effects.

I don't know if nutritional supplements are helping her body cope with the side effects, but the fact she is doing well with them, I'm keeping her on the regiment of multivitamins, selenium and garlic supplements. I am taking the oncologist's suggestion to abstain on the supplements on the day of and the day after her chemo infusions.

I've only recently saw an infomercial for Cancer Treatments of America. From what I saw, I like their positive attitude which is a good start for patients. I really resent doctors' with a hopeless attitude.

I remember reading one member's story about her lung cancer recovery despite the odds. She asked her doctor why she was so optimistic against those chances. In fact, I copied the text because it was so comforting, inspiring and uplifting for me: Her reply was "Because we believe in miracles. You (meaning me) are our miracle". For what it's worth, - believe! The doctor bases dignosis, prognosis, etc., on statistics. Try to be positive. Sure, survivors, as a percentage, are in the minority. But SOMEONE has to make up that minority. Why not your mom?" I believe that was posted by Plymouthean.

Stay optimistic! My best also goes out to your brother.
  • Elainehz
    Elainehz Member Posts: 16
    May I suggest you to have a look at the website:
    www.kanglaite.com
    There may be sth helpful for you.
  • Plymouthean
    Plymouthean Member Posts: 262
    I'm a five year survivor of nsclc, 3a. First, - do not listen to prognoses. Don't ask "What are his chances?" I was diagnosed as inoperable/incurable. I'm still here, cancer free after five years! According to my oncologist, Fox Chase is the place to be for treatment. While I have no first-hand experience with Fox Chase, their reputation is tops. Best wishes and prayers to your brother and you.
  • karenlee3sons
    karenlee3sons Member Posts: 35

I'm a five year survivor of nsclc, 3a. First, - do not listen to prognoses. Don't ask "What are his chances?" I was diagnosed as inoperable/incurable. I'm still here, cancer free after five years! According to my oncologist, Fox Chase is the place to be for treatment. While I have no first-hand experience with Fox Chase, their reputation is tops. Best wishes and prayers to your brother and you.

I am an 8 year stage 4 lung cancer survivor. You are so right. Ignore statistics doom and gloom and be positive. No one thought I would be here. I wouldn't listen to those stats and neither did those around me who supported me. If you have faith in your doctor follow his recommendations and do not make yourself crazy. Of course, a 2nd opinion is always a good idea and a good doctor won't care, they will encourage it. Good luck!
  • LVsurvivor
    LVsurvivor Member Posts: 7
    Elainehz said:

May I suggest you to have a look at the website:
    www.kanglaite.com
    There may be sth helpful for you.

What is your experience with this drug?
  • kaitek
    kaitek Member Posts: 156 Member

I am an 8 year stage 4 lung cancer survivor. You are so right. Ignore statistics doom and gloom and be positive. No one thought I would be here. I wouldn't listen to those stats and neither did those around me who supported me. If you have faith in your doctor follow his recommendations and do not make yourself crazy. Of course, a 2nd opinion is always a good idea and a good doctor won't care, they will encourage it. Good luck!

Hi Karenlee3sons,

I tried to look for your personal webpage to get a better read of your case history. I believe you have none. Outside of that, did you post your full cancer history in a message I can read instead? I'm interested in the full diagnosis (cancer spread, tumor size, etc.), specific chemo combination, treatment frequency, any supplemental or alternative treatments, etc.

To my knowledge, you're the longest cancer survivor so you're an inspiration indeed!
  • scgwriter
    scgwriter Member Posts: 3
    I was just diagnosed with 4th stage lung cancer -- it had spread to the brain, and I had that tumor removed. I'm 43 -- an avid exerciser, and never-smoker. I decided that even with those statistics, there are still 1000s of survivors out there -- as is evidenced by this site.

A loving friend gave me a copy of "Kitchen Table Wisdom." An M.D. and also chronically ill, author Rachel Remen says that:

"Expertise is not clairvoyance. As experts, we only deal with probablility and not specific outcome. Like most people who do this sort of work, I've seen that the prognosis may not be the reality any more than the map is the territory or the blueprint, the building." -- p. 13

The prognosis may not be the reality. I like that.

For those of you who are farther down the path than I am, please keep writing.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator