Stage IV 8 year anniversary

madu
madu Member Posts: 53
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
8 years ago today at this time I was just going into surgery to remove a "growth" discovered the day before in a routine colonoscopy. Much to the surprise of everyone (mostly because I was only 31) when they opened me up they found the cancer had spread to my liver. A foot of colon and a lobe of liver later, I started my new life a "terminal" stage IV rectal-sigmoid cancer patient. 8 months of 5FU and luecovorin and 28 days of radiation later I started my life as a cancer survivor. It's hard to believe 8 years have passed! I was telling my boyfriend last night that it all seems so unreal now. I've been blessed to be NED all these years and I can remember mentally making plans on who should inherit my stuff! Good thing I didn't follow through! It's just amazing to me how my life has changed since that point. Anyhow, people in my life know that it's my anniversary but they don't really understand how huge that is so I wanted to share it with a group a people who know just what it means. Keep the faith folks - it is possible to survive a "terminal" diagnosis. I'm not around as much as I used to be but I try to check in every once in awhile and am always happy to answer any questions.

Heidi

Comments

• Patrusha
    Patrusha Member Posts: 487
    Thanks, Heidi, for your news. It is always so good to hear from the "terminal" cases who started their journey in Stage IV. It brings so much hope to anyone dealing with this disease. Congratulations.
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    HI HEIDI!!

Congrats on such a huge landmark!! I hope you are celebrating big time. You are an inspiration to all the newer people (myself included) just like so many others on this board. Happy Dance going on here!

Lisa F.
  • shubunkin
    shubunkin Member Posts: 60
    Awesome story! I love hearing outcomes like that! Beautiful name! My moms name was Heidi ;)
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    That's wonderful news and inspiration for those of us who are early in our survival period. Keep us posted.
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Heidi -

Thanks for your inspiring story. It really helps us other relatively short-term Stage IV survivors to hear a positive story like this.

Congratulations (and thanks for sharing).
    Betsy
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    You Go Girl!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the inspiration!!!!!! YAHOOOOO

Celebrate!!!!!!

Lisa P.
  • pink05
    pink05 Member Posts: 550
    Hi Heidi,

Congratulations on your big anniversary!!! You are truly an inspiration to all of us!!!

God bless you,

-Lee-
  • HowardJ
    HowardJ Member Posts: 474
    Very inspiring!! Thank you for sharing!

Howard
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    (((((((((((heidi)))))))))))Enjoy it as much as you can, I know what you mean about the passing of time,it seems like years ago or only yesterday. This site sure needs long term survivors ,specially stage four like yourself Stacey,Scouty and the unstoppable Kiwi,Foxy(I think she must be coming up for her 14 th anniversary)Add to that some stage 3 ers like Runnerz and myself and there are a lot of years to prove that cancer can be tamed. Congratulations not only on winning the battle against cancer but against the fear. It is a huge burden to carry as well as living your life and dealing with all the NORMAL problems. I'm sure I can speak for all the survivors on this site and tell you how proud we are of you,Cheers Ron.
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Hi Heidi have a very very happy anniversary,you made my day already, I will go to bed tonight with much more hope, I was recently dx in late June, and I definitely want to be in your team years from now, I have too much to live for, thanks again for sharing with us.
    Betina
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Hi Heidi have a very very happy anniversary,you made my day already, I will go to bed tonight with much more hope, I was recently dx in late June, and I definitely want to be in your team years from now, I have too much to live for, thanks again for sharing with us.
    Betina
  • JADot
    JADot Member Posts: 709 Member
    Oh my gosh Heidi, what a message of hope for all of us! My most sincere congrats to you for your extraordinary survivorship!

You go girl!

Cheers,
    Ying
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Thank you so much for sharing! God has kept you here for a reason. Maybe just to give inspiration to the rest of us. jams
  • CAMaura
    CAMaura Member Posts: 719 Member
    Heidi! Thank you very much!!!! After hearing a very sobering: "You aren't in the clear at all until five years out." from my surgeon, yesterday, I love reading your post. Take care and many, many more years to you!!! - Maura
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA!

NAKED happy dance!!!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • jerseysue
    jerseysue Member Posts: 624 Member
    Thanks for sharing love those stories! Congrats!
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Congratulations!!

Thank you for being willing to come back to this board and give others hope that can only come from one who has been there. My husband is stage 4 as well. I have already told him of your success. Wishing you many, many more years cancer free!! Not only have you helped those facing this monster but their caregivers as well.

Again, thank you and God bless.

Betty
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Congratulations, Heidi! I am happy for you.

Best wishes, Eleonora
  • terril
    terril Member Posts: 296
    All I can say is "WOW!"