Young and Diagnosed with Colon Cancer

tennislover
tennislover Member Posts: 64
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am 28 years old with stage IV colorectal cancer. I was just wondering how many people out there have been disgnosed with colorectal cancer and were also under the typical screening age.

Comments

• kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    There are a LOT of folks out here that fall under the suggested screening age! It is a BIG frustration. You will be hearing from them very soon.

Let us know how you are doing.

Kerry
  • bryancarson
    bryancarson Member Posts: 47
    I was first diagnosed at 29 with stage II Colon Cancer and then again at 31 with stage III. I have beat the dreaded disease twice and I know that you can do it also! They say that because we are young sometimes the chemo is harder to handle. I know, you would think it would be easier, but i assure you that life is worth the fight. I agree. There needs to be more publicity about those of us WAY under the first screening age suffering from colon cancer. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!
  • Jen28
    Jen28 Member Posts: 45
    I was 28 when I was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer last fall. It was definitely a huge shock to me--I don't have a family history of colon cancer, I've never smoked, I was in great shape physically and had been a vegetarian for 12 years--I didn't really have any risk factors. I've since met (both online and in person) a fair number of people who were diagnosed at younger ages. It's not as uncommon as I thought, and it is frustrating that colon cancer awareness campaigns portray the disease as an over-50 disease. I was really lucky in that both my primary care doctor and my gastroenterologist took my symptoms seriously and had me have a colonoscopy right away.

Jen
  • chynabear
    chynabear Member Posts: 481 Member

I was first diagnosed at 29 with stage II Colon Cancer and then again at 31 with stage III. I have beat the dreaded disease twice and I know that you can do it also! They say that because we are young sometimes the chemo is harder to handle. I know, you would think it would be easier, but i assure you that life is worth the fight. I agree. There needs to be more publicity about those of us WAY under the first screening age suffering from colon cancer. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!

I was diagnosed with Stage III CRC the day after my 27th birthday 1 year and 8 months ago. Because of my young age, I was misdiagnosed for three years.

You have found a great place for support, inspiration, and getting questions answered.

Patricia
  • rthornton
    rthornton Member Posts: 346 Member
    I was diagnosed last year with stage four at the age of 35. I feel old compared to those others that have responded, but I was still much younger than the average age (which I think is 63). I agree with Jen ... people should be encouraged to get regular screening before 50 years of age.

Rodney
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    rthornton said:

I was diagnosed last year with stage four at the age of 35. I feel old compared to those others that have responded, but I was still much younger than the average age (which I think is 63). I agree with Jen ... people should be encouraged to get regular screening before 50 years of age.

Rodney

That's my cause, Rodney...I was even older...49...but since my diagnosis I have met sooooo many under the age...
    My big mouth opens to every physician, healthcare worker, and legislator...and I don't pull punches...I tell them my experience, and then very pointedly ask "Have YOU been screened???" I usually get their FULL attention after that...
    Hugs, Kathi
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Hi, tennislover -

When I was 33 I noticed some symptoms and asked to be screened - my mom and grandfather had colon cancer. They blew me off for three years (because I was "too young") When they finally did the test they found I had it.

You want to see and converse with a bunch of young survivors? Go to http://www.colonclub.org All of us there were Dx under 40.

Welcome to the SemiColons. Sucks that you're here, but we're glad to have you.

Cheers

- SpongeBob
  • cal79
    cal79 Member Posts: 57
    I was 25 when I was diagnosed with stage 1 rectal cancer. I was very lucky to have it found it at this stage - the tumour started bleeding very heavily so they wanted to check for a bleeding ulcer or inflammatory bowel disease. The hospital I am treated at is a very large teaching hospital, and they have never had a case my age or anything like it before. However, I think that you will see from this board there are quite a few of us.

If you have any questions post away, you get a lot of great advice on here.

Take care :)
  • goldfinch
    goldfinch Member Posts: 735
    I was 46, almost 47 when I was initially diagnosed with stage 3. It has progressed to Stage 4 but I continue to fight it. Starting new chemo regimen today. It's been almost 3 years now. No family history.
    Seems like screening guidelines need to be changed.
    Mary
  • RunnerZ
    RunnerZ Member Posts: 185
    Tennislover.

I was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer in 1999. I am 7 plus years disease free. Sadly, many of us on this site were diagnosed at a young age. However, some studies reflect a better survival rate in younger patients with this disease. For some reason the genetic variation of this early onset may leave the cancer more vulnerable to treatment. In my case, the preoperative chemoradiaiton completely eradicated the tumor. Keep playing tennis (one of the first things I did when diagnosed was renew my subscription to Runner's World magazine, a small but symbolic gesture of survival). Also, read both of Lance Armstrong's books on his recovery from cancer. I run almost as fast as before cancer, and each day is a victory. Best of luck, and let us know how your treatment goes.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • RunnerZ
    RunnerZ Member Posts: 185
    36 when diagnossed, more than 7 years ago, with stage 3 rectal cancer. I keep living and running...putting criminals in jail and raising a family. Never, never, never, never give up!
  • tennislover
    tennislover Member Posts: 64
    Thank you everyone for responding. I had no idea that this was as common as it seems. It is very motivating to read about the number of people who have this cancer that do fall under the screening age. Thank you for your comments!
  • suzannchili
    suzannchili Member Posts: 134 Member
    29 at diagnosis. It's been 5 1/2 yrs now. Stay strong and battle the beast!
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Tennislover -

I am not one of the young ones - diagnosed at 55 with Stage IV colorectal. But we still have lots in common. I am doing well and so soon will you be doing well.

As always I am so sorry to see you here, but also so glad you found us. We can help and you can find not only many young people on this site, but also many stage IV survivors of whatever age to help you with this journey.

My best wishes to you.

Take care,
    Betsy
  • jerseysue
    jerseysue Member Posts: 624 Member
    I was 41 dx with stage IV about 1 year ago.
  • debralla
    debralla Member Posts: 203 Member

Tennislover -

I am not one of the young ones - diagnosed at 55 with Stage IV colorectal. But we still have lots in common. I am doing well and so soon will you be doing well.

As always I am so sorry to see you here, but also so glad you found us. We can help and you can find not only many young people on this site, but also many stage IV survivors of whatever age to help you with this journey.

My best wishes to you.

Take care,
    Betsy

Hello
    I was dignosed this past Nov. Stage 4 .I was 45 .I celebrated my 46th while receiving treatment # 3. I am going to wait and watch this post and on Fri when I go down and get my Pump off . Oh yeah my plateles were back in the chemo safe zone, So I had my chemo treatment #11 minus the Oxy . Any ways I am going to print this page out and show him . He told me yesterday that quite a few Onc. from all over were coming to Brooks Army Med. They are coming here to discuss colon cancer . I would love it if he would show this tread to them (hint Dr. Jones )
    Take care tennis lover I am so glad you found us .
    Please keep us posted
    God Bless
    Debra
  • terril
    terril Member Posts: 296
    I am an old fart comparaed to you. I was dx at age 51 stage 4 with mets to my ovaries. Everything removed 2/04 Recurrence 12/05. Cancer sucks my friend, but you have found the right place with supportive and caring people. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Terri
  • livin
    livin Member Posts: 318 Member
    Hi, I am not as young as you are, but was told at at age 46 that I probably had my colon cancer 10 years prior my diagnois. That means 36 years old. Colon Cancer wasn't my begining journey it started with breast at 44 then colon at 46 then colon cancer that metast to my liver at a ripe old age of 49. Breast and colon two separate(sp) cancers, colon and liver same cancers. I always thought we should be screened earlier than 50 years old. At present 51 years old and NED once again.
  • aaronv253
    aaronv253 Member Posts: 1
    hi
    I don't have colon cancer but I was cur ious as to the symptoms that you had that lead you to get checked out thank you and I really hope your doing well