Hair loss

peggylee3
peggylee3 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
I had my thyroid removed a year ago due to thyroid cancer. Since then I have been experiencing hair loss off and on. It was really bad after I went off medicine for the RAI treatment and got better after being on Synthoid for a few months. Got levels down pretty low and then they started creeping back up and hair started to come out again. Was on 0.2 and now on 0.3. After everything else, Im sick of having thin hair too!! Has anyone else experienced similar? My endocrinologist says just keep your appointments for blood work.

Comments

• alliesnene
    alliesnene Member Posts: 20
    Peggy, I've had similar experiences with hair loss. The first year after TT, it takes a while for your endo to get you on the right dosage of synthroid. Keep your appt.'s for bloodwork!
    Hugs,
    Jen
  • am_martin
    am_martin Member Posts: 6
    hair loss is part of hyper and hypothyroidism alot of the syptoms are the same for both but i found on one site things for both that show which aren't the same and if your hyper watch out for thyroid storm
    hypothyroid

Fatigue, exhaustion, depression, moodiness, sadness, difficulty concentrating, difficulty remembering, sensitivity to cold, cold hands and feet, inappropriate weight gain, or difficulty losing weight, dry, tangled or coarse hair, and hair loss, especially from the outer part of the eyebrow, brittle fingernails, muscle and joint pains and aches, tendinitis of arms and legs, carpal tunnel syndrome, plantars fascitis - sole of the foot pain, swelling or puffiness of eyes, face, arms or legs, heart palpitations, low sex drive, infertility, recurrent miscarriages, heavy, longer, more frequent or more painful menstrual periods, high cholesterol levels, especially when it’s unresponsive to diet and medication, worsening allergies, itching, prickly hot skin, rashes, hives (urticaria), chronic infections, including yeast infections, oral fungus, thrush, and sinus infections, shortness of breath, difficulty drawing a full breath, constipation, neck feels full or sensitive, raspy, hoarse voice
    low basal body temperature below 97.8 to 98.2 degrees in the morning

hyperthyroidism

nervousness, irritability, nervousness, or panic attacks, difficulty concentrating, short attention span, palpitations, irregular heartbeat, high pulse and heartbeat, atrial fibrillation, feeling hot, sweating more than usual, hand tremors, diarrhea, fatigue, dry skin, even thickened patches on shins and legs, fine, brittle hair, infertility, periods are lighter, less frequent, or stop altogether, muscle weakness, especially in the upper arms and thighs, eye problems, including double vision, scratchy eyes, bulging, sensitivity to light

Thyroid Storm

Some people with Graves' disease or hyperthyroidism -- an overactive thyroid that is producing too much thyroid hormone -- develop a condition known as thyroid storm. It's not common however; only 1-2% of patients with hyperthyroidism develop thyroid storm. During thyroid storm, the heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature can become uncontrollable high. Whenever thyroid storm is suspected, the patient must go immediately on an emergency basis to the hospital, as this is a life-threatening condition that can develop and worsen quickly, and requires treatment within hours to avoid fatal complications such as stroke or heart attack.
    Risks for Thyroid Storm
    Untreated Graves' disease and/or hyperthyroidism is a particular risk factor, as is being female.
    Even when the Graves' disease is identified and being treated, however, certain other factors raise the risk of thyroid storm:
    Infection: lung infection, throat infection or pneumonia
    Blood sugar changes: Diabetic ketoacidosis, insulin-induced hypoglycemia
    Recent surgery to the thyroid
    Abrupt withdrawal of antithyroid medications
    Radioactive iodine (RAI) treatment of the thyroid
    Excessive palpation (handling/manipulation) of the thyroid
    Severe emotional stress
    An overdose of thyroid hormone
    Toxemia of pregnancy and labor
    Symptoms
    What are the symptoms of thyroid storm?
    High fever of 100 to as high as 106
    A high heart rate that can be as high as 200 beats per minute
    Palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath
    High blood pressure
    Confusion, delirium and even psychosis
    Extreme weakness and fatigue
    Extreme restlessness, nervousness, mood swings
    Exaggerated reflexes
    Difficulty breathing
    Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
    Recent dramatic weight loss may have taken place recently
    Profuse sweating, dehydration
    Stupor or coma
    Thyroid storm is treated with a combination of antithyroid drugs, blockade iodine drug, beta-blockers, and treatment for any underlying non-thyroidal illness or infection that may becontributing to the thyroid storm.
    NOTE: If thyroid storm is suspected, go to an emergency room immediately!

I hope this helps I can tell I'm hyper right now because my nails are brittle and my skin is dry on my hands the palms are white they're so dry and that's one way i've figured out which one I am but for each person it's different you'll have to learn over time which symptom you can see on each that you can relate with to tell which is which.
  • Dee01
    Dee01 Member Posts: 3
    I just joined this network and finally found a message on hair loss. I didn't find anything on the web pages. This is the worst thing for me- hair loss. I have very long hair and it has got noticeably thinner in the back and underneath the sides. This happened a couple months after my radioiodine treatment.