Financial Crisis

lvarnadoe
lvarnadoe Member Posts: 1
I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma back in January 2001. I was a college student at the time with no medical insurance.....needless to say the first 2 months of my chemotherapy was a financial nightmare because of my lack of insurance. Finally I was able to be put on my mother's insurance plan for the last 2 months of chemo and the 3 weeks of radiation. I know there are people who can relate because we all have been through it. I feel like I beat the cancer because it has been 5 years but I feel like it killed me financially because of the thousands of dollars in medical bills. Does anyone know of any resources to help with past due medical bills? I need all the help I can get!

Comments

• Racht
    Racht Member Posts: 38
    Hi there. First of all I am happy that you beat hd! I totally understand the financial dilemma. I haven't been able to find any one thing that will answer your question, but I did find this site http://www.cancer.gov/cancerinfo/life-after-treatment/page10#I5. I would also add that you may need to communicate with the hospital and see if they can agree to a "settlement" and/or consult with an atty, that would be willing to take your case on a pro-bono (free) basis. I wish you continued health and happiness. Money..is just money. You've got life to live!
    Rachel (Racht)
    ps my story is out there on a personal web pg if you want to know more about me.
  • mc2001
    mc2001 Member Posts: 343
    Racht said:

Hi there. First of all I am happy that you beat hd! I totally understand the financial dilemma. I haven't been able to find any one thing that will answer your question, but I did find this site http://www.cancer.gov/cancerinfo/life-after-treatment/page10#I5. I would also add that you may need to communicate with the hospital and see if they can agree to a "settlement" and/or consult with an atty, that would be willing to take your case on a pro-bono (free) basis. I wish you continued health and happiness. Money..is just money. You've got life to live!
    Rachel (Racht)
    ps my story is out there on a personal web pg if you want to know more about me.

Rachel, I would like to read your story. Thank you.
    -Michael
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator