dad's second chemo treatment

tuby
tuby Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,

My dad is 75 years old and was dx colorectal cancer stage IV, he tolerated the first chemo for 6 months really well without much side effects. He finished chemo in 8/05 and was clear on CT/PET scan. In 10/05, he started to have lots of back pain and other unknown pains and the oncologist ordered PET/CT due to his elevated CEA from 1.8 to 5.8 within just 4 months. Our nightmare started as they found scan demonstrate evidence of tumor recurrence in the rectal pouch. There is a 2.1x2.0cm soft tissue density at the level of the medial aspect of the right rectus abdominus muscle. That may well be the reason why he felt a pull liagment pain. In addition, there are multiple signs of metastatic disease in the abdomen especially involving omentum and small bowel. Other than that, there is no liver and lung metastases found. Since his age is 75 years old, I just think it is a good idea to give him enough vitamin prior to his chemo treatment which is scheduled to be in mid of 3/06. During chemo treatment, I don't think it is a good idea to feed him with too much vitamin as it probably helps the cancer to spread faster. Anyone has any experience of what is the best to do, I would appreicate some valuable advise.

Thanks

Alfred

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Alfred, Did dad have any bowel removed the first go round? Are there any plans now? I'm in a different level now, but had a tumor sucessfully removed from the first rectal fold (took the rectum and the sygmoid colon, just for safety). I asked my onc about vitamins during chemo, and she said it depends on how much, etc...ask your dad's onc...it can change reactions to stuff. (IE- Vit E before surgery is not recommended). Good luck, and my thoughts are with you both.
    Kathi
  • tuby
    tuby Member Posts: 6
    KathiM said:

Alfred, Did dad have any bowel removed the first go round? Are there any plans now? I'm in a different level now, but had a tumor sucessfully removed from the first rectal fold (took the rectum and the sygmoid colon, just for safety). I asked my onc about vitamins during chemo, and she said it depends on how much, etc...ask your dad's onc...it can change reactions to stuff. (IE- Vit E before surgery is not recommended). Good luck, and my thoughts are with you both.
    Kathi

Hi Kathi,

Thanks for your concern. No, he was giving chemo in 3/05 and end in 8/05. At that time, CT/PET shows NO mets found. Then in 10/05, he started back pain and it was determined due to disc bulging. 1/06 he was under the micordisctomy surgery, but the different kind of pain still persists till now. Finally, PET/CT was order in 2/06 due to his CEA rose from 1.8 to 5.8. Then the scan shows the mets in those areas that I mentioned earlier. I am looking into Elligic Acid and Corol Calcium that my friend told me are very good at least to her Stage III colon cancer dad.

Alfred
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    tuby said:

Hi Kathi,

Thanks for your concern. No, he was giving chemo in 3/05 and end in 8/05. At that time, CT/PET shows NO mets found. Then in 10/05, he started back pain and it was determined due to disc bulging. 1/06 he was under the micordisctomy surgery, but the different kind of pain still persists till now. Finally, PET/CT was order in 2/06 due to his CEA rose from 1.8 to 5.8. Then the scan shows the mets in those areas that I mentioned earlier. I am looking into Elligic Acid and Corol Calcium that my friend told me are very good at least to her Stage III colon cancer dad.

Alfred

Keep me posted. Interesting thing, PET scans, my breast CA was caught by one. My friend's dad just diagnosed with Stage III Colon Cancer. He's 80, the MD trying to say chemo may not help, not giving much hope. I suggested 2nd opinion might be in order. Told her not to give up. Tell him not to, either. She had so much pain in her voice. I cried.
    Thanks for listening.
    Kathi