To Tom BK

stuart
stuart Member Posts: 88
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Tom, your message said you had a penile implant because your penis had schrunk...By getting the implant how did that change the size if any? Also, how big a deal is the operative procedure for an implant...Does it require any overnight stay...General anethesia...Any details you can tell me is greatly appreciated...In addition I was diagnosed five years ago and I am on Casodex because my PSA began to rise three consecutive times...The Casodex immediately brought down my PSA to 0.2...Other than a lack of sex I feel pretty good but that is my source of depression...By the way I can get an erection with an ejection of Tri Mix but it lasts for hours and becomes unpleasant.

Comments

• TomBk
    TomBk Member Posts: 58
    Hi Stuart,
    First of all the size returned to normal or even a tad longer, for me. The surgery is a full blown surgery including anesthesia. A small incision that you will not see once healed is made at the base of the penis and just above your testicles and they will insert the two chambers into your penis, the pump will go into the scrotum near your testicles, but they will not remove either testicle and the reservoir will go into your abdomine. It will hurt so get ready for it (after you awake). Your genital area will turn black and blue sometimes just the sex organs and sometimes the whole region; it varies from man to man. This is normal so don't freak out. Your balls will swell to the size of a purple grapefruit and will be very tender and you probably will need pain medicine. Place a folded up washcloth under your balls and push up towards your belly; they need to be kept elevated. Try to avoid masturbating as you will be horny as hell (I was)but you need to let it heal and it takes a few weeks. Keep ice packs on it. In a few days the purple color will go away and after a couple of weeks or thereabouts the swelling will go down. i can't remeber just how long it took me but it seemed to go by fast. For me this surgery hurt much worse than the removal of my Prostate.

You'll live and you will like the change. It is different so you will need to adjust because no matter what it can not go back to exactly the way it was. My penis pumps up hard and long but the head doesn't fill up with blood and get hard too but it is not bad at all. My penis isn't quite as round as a pipe like it used to be but it is only slightly less round. I can stay hard for an hour or I can stay hard for two minutes; it is all in my control. My penis at this time does sort of react when I am horny and it somehow knows I am going to pump it up. The orgasms are different but mine are very intense. I let my pubic hair grow out and it is all hidden and looks good. The only thing visible is the scar from the radical prostatectomy. i have since gotten a deep tan and really got into working out because I feel good about myself again and want to look even better. It worked for me. Any other questions? Do NOT do this without talking to YOUR doctor and getting all the facts. Also I had bloodless surgery (less complications) and they did hemodilution in my case to ease the loss of so much blood. Wish you well, my friend, whatever route you decide to go.
  • stuart
    TomBk said:

Hi Stuart,
    First of all the size returned to normal or even a tad longer, for me. The surgery is a full blown surgery including anesthesia. A small incision that you will not see once healed is made at the base of the penis and just above your testicles and they will insert the two chambers into your penis, the pump will go into the scrotum near your testicles, but they will not remove either testicle and the reservoir will go into your abdomine. It will hurt so get ready for it (after you awake). Your genital area will turn black and blue sometimes just the sex organs and sometimes the whole region; it varies from man to man. This is normal so don't freak out. Your balls will swell to the size of a purple grapefruit and will be very tender and you probably will need pain medicine. Place a folded up washcloth under your balls and push up towards your belly; they need to be kept elevated. Try to avoid masturbating as you will be horny as hell (I was)but you need to let it heal and it takes a few weeks. Keep ice packs on it. In a few days the purple color will go away and after a couple of weeks or thereabouts the swelling will go down. i can't remeber just how long it took me but it seemed to go by fast. For me this surgery hurt much worse than the removal of my Prostate.

You'll live and you will like the change. It is different so you will need to adjust because no matter what it can not go back to exactly the way it was. My penis pumps up hard and long but the head doesn't fill up with blood and get hard too but it is not bad at all. My penis isn't quite as round as a pipe like it used to be but it is only slightly less round. I can stay hard for an hour or I can stay hard for two minutes; it is all in my control. My penis at this time does sort of react when I am horny and it somehow knows I am going to pump it up. The orgasms are different but mine are very intense. I let my pubic hair grow out and it is all hidden and looks good. The only thing visible is the scar from the radical prostatectomy. i have since gotten a deep tan and really got into working out because I feel good about myself again and want to look even better. It worked for me. Any other questions? Do NOT do this without talking to YOUR doctor and getting all the facts. Also I had bloodless surgery (less complications) and they did hemodilution in my case to ease the loss of so much blood. Wish you well, my friend, whatever route you decide to go.

Thanks for the information...I had radiation five years ago and did pretty well sexually until this past year...I will keep my options open knowing that the implant is feasible...Some of the issues are in my head so I want to make sure of the problem before I have an operative proceedure...As you said it will never be the same...Thanks again...
  • TomBk
    stuart said:

Thanks for the information...I had radiation five years ago and did pretty well sexually until this past year...I will keep my options open knowing that the implant is feasible...Some of the issues are in my head so I want to make sure of the problem before I have an operative proceedure...As you said it will never be the same...Thanks again...

always remember ...you are in the driver's seat and all the choices are yours to make. If you don't want to do something don't do it. I hope I didn't scare the wits out of you by being so specific but I wanted you to go in knowing pretty much what to expect. You spoke of issues in the head and that is true of all of us; there are alot of things we have to sort out mentally before we make good decisions. I wish the best to you.
  • Willx
    Willx Member Posts: 41
    TomBk said:

always remember ...you are in the driver's seat and all the choices are yours to make. If you don't want to do something don't do it. I hope I didn't scare the wits out of you by being so specific but I wanted you to go in knowing pretty much what to expect. You spoke of issues in the head and that is true of all of us; there are alot of things we have to sort out mentally before we make good decisions. I wish the best to you.

Tom, thanks so much for the detailed information about the implant. I am also considering having the surgery as it has been nearly 8 years for me since my prostate was removed and I'm pretty much impotent, despite attempted one-sided nerve sparing. I have a brother who had the implant - he's now 72, and says if he had it to do over, he'd do it again.
  • stuart
    TomBk said:

You didn't scare me it was good information...I would rather here it from someone who has gone through it than from a physician who will give a clinical description...
  • papaD
    papaD Member Posts: 1
    TomBk said:

Hi Stuart,

I had surgery about 1 1/2 years ago & the only way I can get hard is by injection (which doesn't get it as long and hurts alot for 2 hours after sex). I have been thinking about an inplant, but didn't know of anyone who had one. How long did you wait to get it done. Did your Dr. say you would never get hard on your own with pills or what?
  • TomBk
    papaD said:

I had surgery about 1 1/2 years ago & the only way I can get hard is by injection (which doesn't get it as long and hurts alot for 2 hours after sex). I have been thinking about an inplant, but didn't know of anyone who had one. How long did you wait to get it done. Did your Dr. say you would never get hard on your own with pills or what?

PapaD,
    I just waited a few months but it bothered me so bad and I only had partial erections and I was sinking into depression too fast so I opted to go for it. Your doctor should be able to show you a model of everything that will be implanted into you and explain how it works. My doctor had a ultrasound done on my penis and I was not getting good blood flow for some reason. Vascular repair can be done but the doctors really shy away from that one. Why? I don't know. My guess would be that it is because it is such a bloody region of the body that there are dangers. Once the implants are fully healed there is no pain after sex at all.
  • TomBk
    Willx said:

Tom, thanks so much for the detailed information about the implant. I am also considering having the surgery as it has been nearly 8 years for me since my prostate was removed and I'm pretty much impotent, despite attempted one-sided nerve sparing. I have a brother who had the implant - he's now 72, and says if he had it to do over, he'd do it again.

Will,
    No problem. I wish I had a cure for this stupid disease. One of my male nurses works in the lab in research and he said, believe it or not, they are working on a shot to prevent this from happening. Unfortunately if they do it won't help us who have gone before.
  • TomBk
    Willx said:

Will,
    Please e-mail me again I lost one of your e-mails and can't figure out how to retrieve it.