more on Stage IV question

cindybob
cindybob Member Posts: 61
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I tried to reply to the stage IV question that was started, but there was no "reply" button.
Hi everyone,
My question goes with the last topic that said "stage IV question" and I don't have the name in front of me. Okay, so, I'm 2 years out. For a while my onc watched my liver very closely because blood tests revealed liver function to be really bad. (Now I'm fine) I was also put on Tamaxofin for breast cancer because of my strong family history. I didn't tolerate it well and it (Tamoxifin) increases chances for girly cancers. So I am off. But here's my question, what is the greatest likelyhood, that the colon cancer will come back to my colon, which is my fear recently due to freaky symptoms, or to another organ like the liver or girly parts? Does anyone know?
Thanks for any help.
cindy bob in texas

Comments

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Hi Cindy,
    Sorry there are no hard and fast rules for ca. Recurrence in the colon seems to occur within 18 mos to two years and usually because of undiscovered polyps E.g. found a cancer and forgot to check the rest or the fact that it is very difficult to detect ca in fatty tissue particularly the flange that connects the colon to the body. From my experience with other ca sufferers the liver is the organ that doctors most worry about for mets followed by the lungs (For colon ca that is). The problem is often not mets but other primaries so it comes down to the simple plan of being aware of your body ,listen to what it tells you,if it is telling you that there is a problem ,there probably is but not neccessarily cancer. Get it checked and try not to worry. I have had duodenal and peptic ulcers on several occassions ,pancreatitis,gallbladder ect. All of these could ! have been ca but they weren't,so stay vigilant but make sure you have a life as well,Cheers Ron.
  • fredrick55
    fredrick55 Member Posts: 9
    ron50 said:

Hi Cindy,
    Sorry there are no hard and fast rules for ca. Recurrence in the colon seems to occur within 18 mos to two years and usually because of undiscovered polyps E.g. found a cancer and forgot to check the rest or the fact that it is very difficult to detect ca in fatty tissue particularly the flange that connects the colon to the body. From my experience with other ca sufferers the liver is the organ that doctors most worry about for mets followed by the lungs (For colon ca that is). The problem is often not mets but other primaries so it comes down to the simple plan of being aware of your body ,listen to what it tells you,if it is telling you that there is a problem ,there probably is but not neccessarily cancer. Get it checked and try not to worry. I have had duodenal and peptic ulcers on several occassions ,pancreatitis,gallbladder ect. All of these could ! have been ca but they weren't,so stay vigilant but make sure you have a life as well,Cheers Ron.

Ron is right, I had a colon resection in August of 2004 and they thought they got it all. My surgeon said that if it is going to come back to the colon it will do it within two years. In July of 2005 my CEA levels began to rise so they did a CT PET scan and it revealed a tumor in my liver, but my colon is healthy. Listen to your doctor and don't fear anything but the facts, the "what if's will wear you down".
  • cindybob
    cindybob Member Posts: 61

Ron is right, I had a colon resection in August of 2004 and they thought they got it all. My surgeon said that if it is going to come back to the colon it will do it within two years. In July of 2005 my CEA levels began to rise so they did a CT PET scan and it revealed a tumor in my liver, but my colon is healthy. Listen to your doctor and don't fear anything but the facts, the "what if's will wear you down".

Thanks Ron and Fredrick.
    I'm just so doggone sick of going to the doctor. But ya'll are right. I just have to go, find out I'm fine again and quit fretting. Thanks for your replies!
    CindyBob